2 years ago today was BLACK THURSDAY? Was it the worst day in soap history?

• Members

Two years ago the worst day IMO in soap industry happen as Brian frons announced the cancellation of all my children and one life to live. Some people call it the 911 day of soap history. It's where this absolute bastard in the worst way possible cancelled two soaps at once. At oltl he didn't even tell them in person he did it by video type. He gave us the biggest load of crap reasons why he was doing. I think what I remember how everyone was so hurt, angry and wanted to kick and punch him in the face for years of horrible leadership. What do u remember about black Thursday and how did u feel that day? It was the worst day ever in soap history as we got kicked in the stomach by mr Brian frons.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No offense but who cares at this point? The shows are coming back and looking more promising than they were at the time of cancellation. We are gearing up celebrate their return. The day they were cancelled sucked but it is what it is. For all we know that may have just been a blessing in disguise

• Members

Although I know you mean well, it is somewhat offensive that some would even call the cancellation of these soaps the "9/11"of the soap industry. As a New Yorker, I just feel there is no direct or indirect comparison between the two.

Anyways, I am excited to see both series return in a couple of weeks!

• Members

I'm sorry and not taking anything way from AMC & OLTL b/c I love them both (and glad they've been revived), but this is not the worst cancellation to have happened. I still think that the April Fools cancellation of Guiding Light takes the cake. Many of us online fans thought it was a joke for the longest until word came down from CBS that it was true.

And I agree with Cheap that we should celebrate the return of these shows rather than their demise b/c these two shows are lucky. . Only other soaps to gain a lifeline in the past was Passions, EON, & Search even though they went on to be cancelled on their new networks . . . all the other soaps (especially the big 4 cancelled: AW, St. Barb, ATWT, & GL) weren't so lucky.

• Members

We could come up with a list of really bad days for soap fans and I'd submit for consideration: December 31, 1982. Both The Doctors and Texas aired their last episodes on that day. I'd call that the worst day for NBC soap fans.

I'd say that April 14, 2011 was the worst day of ABC daytime fans due to All My Children and One Life to Live being cancelled.

• Members

The worst catastrophe was Hacktini's young Frankenstein attempts to take bits and pieces of OLTL and proclaim "It's alive!". All things end. But some things are allowed to end as gracefully as they existed. AMC ended suckily because of their cliffhanger that PP dictated. But at least that was it, until now. AMC fans didn't have to suffer the destruction HackTini and Co. Heaped on the OLTL fans on top of the loss they already endured. So happy they are GH's problem now. Gratitude x100000000

Archived