Is OLTL going to be a youth soap and AMC a more traditional soap?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't see anything that indicates it will be a youth soup, the promo featured all the characters and the producers knows that the audience wants to see older characters as well. I would imagine the writers and producers are smart enough to create balance.

• Members

What I'm happy about is that these shows will have a distinct tone. I was worried with them sharing space and some staff members we'd get two similar shows, which is pointless. I'm glad their unique identities are intact, I just hope both are good!

• Members

If the writing and acting were good, I would not mind a new youth-oriented cast. Quite frankly, I have had a gutful of rapist Todd and the whining Blair. They have been front and center for 20 years with the same basic plot repeated ad nauseum. This is one reason I stopped watching (and caring) long before ABC axed it. The rebooted OLTL would probably do well to concentrate on the younger characters rather than trot out the same tired storylines that have been done to death with the vets already.

• Webmaster

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but soap operas have long stayed away from referencing years when referring to events. The understanding is that because a day can last a week and a holiday can be skipped, fans can essentially jump in without being totally lost or something like that.

• Members

I haven't watched the OLTL preview mentioned but it's impossible to judge what either show will be like until they air. If you're going to watch them both, give them 2 weeks and then maybe this conversation can begin!

• Members

Me too, and that's clearly not what they're doing. I think ideally (and I think Agnes Nixon even created this tradition) OLTL should be more urban and darker, less family based. The two shows should complement each other by addressing different aspects.

Still to call one a youth soap and one not--as Steve said it's too early in the game to say that. Besides a few weeks back people were claiming AMC would be too youth heavy due to their new cast.

• Members

Susan Bedsow-Horgan, the executive producer of One Life to Live during it's second golden era (1994-1996) stepped down from her writing duties for the online version of OLTL.

I have several actor buddies on social media that have told me she was actually fired because she wanted Erika Slezak and Robert S. Woods on the front burner for two days of the week and they told her to stop writing for old people.

[Which means no Vicki, Dorian, Clint, Nigel or Bo on the front burner]

In a nutshell, she was canned because the new versions of both OLTL and AMC are to get teen agers to watch.

• Members

Nope but just getting fed up with all the supposed reasons. Susie Quit. Plus Robin Strasser has taped the majority of the days OLTL was in production the last four weeks. So I dont see them backburning the vets

Archived