Y&R: Jeanne Cooper is very ill.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If we're being honest with ourselves, it was clear that Jeanne wasn't 'herself' after she returned from the 3 month break when Michael Learned subbed in for her. She looked frail, her voice was weaker, her movements had changed. She had aged 10 years in 3 months. And she has never been the same since.

And I think, somewhere in Jeanne's mind, that is hell and a type of life she would not want for herself.

I hope she has a merciful release. Nothing gold can stay.

• Members

I agree and I do think most of us noticed this, but just didn't want to comment on it. This is so hard since I identify so closely with Y&R as a part of my life and also as a soap fan. Katherine and Jill are characters that jumped off the screen to me as a child and will forever be in my memory. It's be so difficult reading about this. :(

• Members

It's incredibly difficult. And it's one of those times where we look at life and we just have to be thankful for what we've had. And I think Jeanne Cooper is someone who has been grateful for life.

It's not what you have, it's not what you do, it's all about who you love and who loves you. And I think knowing that, Jeanne's ready for whatever comes.

• Members

So sad. I'm so glad I had the pleasure of meeting her and speaking with her about the industry for a half hour. So nice a thing for her to do randomly at the end of her work day.

When she returned looking frail, it reminded me of when Mary Stuart (Meta) returned to GL after being ill for months, and we lost her less than a year later. :(

• Members

I hesitate to say this but honestly, aside from YouTube clips of her greatest hits I'm really only immediately familiar with Ms. Cooper as this very tiny, elderly woman with a lot of spirit. I only really began paying attention to Y&R with any real regularity as a dispassionate observer as the show began to descend in the last five or six, whatever years. People get older, whatever, but my grandparents lived into their nineties (one to ninety-nine) and I never saw them physically change in quite the same dramatic way as she seemed to.

I recognize that that is perhaps far from the rule, of course. And I'm not familiar with all her medical history so I don't know what may have happened to her, but she always seemed to keep fighting. Still, I have to say that over the last couple years I'd see her and wonder, 'how is she still doing this?' She seemed to be going very much at her own pace onscreen, and I worried for her.

I feared the worst when she first went into the hospital, and I wish I could say this relapse surprises me. What I know is that it's very strange and unfortunate seeing this tumor storyline play out onscreen, and that Ms. Cooper is a major piece of the firmament in daytime history.

• Members

Tested today. My faith, my strength, my very beliefs. End of life sucks. It's a terrible thing. I don't know many cases of "grandma went off peacefully in her sleep." Instead it seems more often it's a battle, a fight to go beyond our expiration date. And maybe there's the problem, one we create. Pushing the limits. I asked God many times today, why. Why would you give us this incredible life and end it so miserably? Okay, yes, there is more beyond this life, and I do believe that, but why end "this" one so in opposition to the beauty you have created? I"m praying for enlightenment on this. I think I understand it, but it's not clear.

Please know that I'm not saying my mother's life has ended, it hasn't, but no matter how you slice it, she is in the final stages, whether it lasts an hour, day, month or years. I had to say "goodbye" to her tonight "just in case" as I'm traveling tomorrow to Vancouver for Psych. I have prayed for her recovery - some sort of recovery - and earlier this week got a hint of it. But then I saw her tonight, connected once again to so many tubes and machines "healing her." And there is a difference - yes they are keeping her alive just as antibiotics would do for an infection - but they are more or less there to help in her short term recovery. Is she in a natural decent toward the end? Not sure. Is there a future? Not sure? And if so, what kind of future? Even less sure.

So I said my goodbyes tonight, had a good release of emotion and then left the room, more uncertain thanI have ever been about so many things. I wish I could be more positive for you tonight, but I reserve the right in this space to be plain, simple and honest. I know it's only in that realm that I will find the answers I'm looking for right now. I love you mom. I'm giving it up to you and God to find peace in this world or the next.

Wow. No words. Just sadness.

Archived