Tyler Perry's 'Haves and Have Nots' on OWN

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Not surprised! There's lots of love for this trashy new soap, especially on Facebook. Damn, I'm still waiting for this to pop up online somewhere, but I've seen a couple of clips on the OWN website. I'm really interested in the dynamic between Candice and Hannah. Where does all of this bitterness between them come from? Also, I would love to see how Wyatt handles Jeffrey's lusty crush on him. Wyatt secretly recording Jeffrey licking his lips while staring him down was funny.

• Members

This is just a black daytime soap in a one hour format. I kinda wish they'd completely owned the fact that they're creating a soap, instead of trying to say this is Tyler Perry's answer to Downton Abbey. This is clearly inspired by his years of watching The Young and the Restless. I only watched a bit of the pilot, but it looks watchable in a cheap, cable soap sort of way. I find it so interesting that Oprah is having success with this when she was so against picking up the soaps. I still think AMC and OLTL would be a good fit for OWN. This is proving that.

• Members

The pilot is all over the torent sites-in HD and regular--, that's how I managed to see it. For whatever reason te people who uploaded the torrents didn't upload episode two, though. *edit* I just checked and episode 2 is up as well. I think it already shows many of the qualitis of Perry's melodramas I find so oddly fascinating and awful, but the extreme moralizing hasn't happened yet--but I have no doubt itwill. But I can see why some would enjoy the trashiness. It's strange, for a show that seems to think it's so moral, it actually feels incredibly sleazy to me I guess because it does see things in such extreme colours (no pun intended.) I doubt even early Love of Life was so much about good haracters vs wicked/bad. And like a lot of extreme religious based content it wants to have it both ways--the show revels in the sex, sleaze and skin but the viewer can feel superior to all that, while getting off on it, due to the "good" charactes you identify and are preached to by.

Anyway, obviously I'm putting way too much thought into this--and that's why it is such instant camp, because unlike, say, Sunset Beach or a telenovela, I seriously think TylerPerry doesn't realize it's camp and really thinks he's helping people with his storytelling (I guess Oprah does too.)

Oh, the guys are hot, too. And I laughed outloud that the son secretly drinks from a huge ass crystal decanter--I mean treating it like a mikey. LOL Maybe when I watch the next episode that's how I should drink too.

• Members

I agree with all of this, down to the fact OWN probably could ahave used OLTL and AMC since they're so desperate for programming and even a tiny profit.

Perry always compares his comedies and melodramas both to classy examples, so it's no big surprise they wouldn't just call it a soap. It does have the addition of Perry's very strange and extreme world view, but you're pretty much right about what it is.

• Members

I just wonder how the gay character will end up . Like someone said in the Temptation thread, I knew something was wrong with TP when I saw the end of Why Did I Get Married Too?, I shutter to think what he has in store for him .

Edited by Eric83

• Members

I have a feeling he'll turn into a gay predator--maybe he'll enable the guy he's hired to help, and get him to drink evn more than he is? But who knows... Ijust have this feeling that Perry's sucking people in with all the trashy camp, and then down the line he'll whack them all over the head for being sinners. :P

• Members

Tyler Perry hasn't shied away from calling this a soap, he's compared it to Dynasty, Dallas and Knots Landing (and the show is clearly influenced by Y&R, the dark wood walls, come on!). And this show is closer to classic soap than the stuff AMC and OLTL were rebooted as (I don't know exactly what they're going for and frankly, neither do they fully).

Hannah and Candace are the lynchpin of this show. Their scenes offered a dynamic we haven't seen on daytime in years. And Tika Sumpter OWNED every minute of it. The dialogue wasn't perfect but I really felt like I was watching a mother and daughter fight.

And I think it's pretty clear that Hannah isn't perfect, she ignorantly assumed Veronica's husband was white, she isn't shy about preferring once child over the other and treats her daughter like she's not worth the air in her lungs. I think it could grow to be fascinating, JUST so long as the lines stay not so obviously drawn.

• Members

I guess if Perry remains headwriter (and EP and director--apparently--I still don't buy that he does all of this for all of his projects on his own :P ) that won't happen, though.

Yes it does have the basic soap tropes--although I hink it owes more to a cheap version of a primetime soap than vintage daytime--setup aside--myself. But in that respect I suppose it is more standard soap than the PP shows maybe (I do agree with you that the PP shows haven't decided what they are, either.) That said, I think current AMC and even OLTL resemble 70s Agnes Nixon soaps more than Haves and Have Not do, but yes it uses a variation of the Irna Phillips/Bell setup (which Nixon did too.)