Tyler Perry's 'Haves and Have Nots' on OWN

• Members

The only problem I had about the help was the way they were spoken to. Gave me a "Roots" feel. Tyler needs to dial that down because I don't think that's appropriate in 2013 (not that it ever was).

The lighting for the house makes it look really weird. They may want to work on that.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This hasn't aired on Canadian OWN for some reason, so I can't comment, and it sounds like several people here who don't usually like Perry's stuff are enjoying this so far--though I can't help but think the moralizing will come soon just like it does with all of his melodramas--but is Perry credited as director and writer on every episode as Wiki says? Does he really write and direct so much of his work and not just have a factory of writers hiding under his name the way, say, the "authors" of The Hardy Boys or Sweet Valley High had?

• Members

I guess I'm in the minority because I didn't like it. I thought the writing was horrible. Tika did a good job with what they gave her. I don't get why Candice has to use sex as a weapon. She's smart and in law school there are plenty of other ways for her to get back at the rich folk. Her character reminded me of Sanaa Lathan's in "The Family That Preys" angry and bitter for no reason.

• Members

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with much of it. I'm not overly familiar with Tyler Perry's programs, but it makes the acting on Dallas 2.0 look like the Royal Shakespeare Company. And visually, I haven't seen anything look as bad since the horrible travesty of SMG's Ringer. I don't understand how you go from the opening shot of an impressive estate to the dark, painted-over-plywood looking sets.

• Members

Ringer had a 50's film noir look to it... very dark and cold. I'm not sure quite what Tyler Perry has in mind for The Haves and the Have Nots. I wish someone other then Oprah would interview him and ask him what his intentions are for this particular show.. and why he has such stark views of good and evil..