Tyler Perry's 'Haves and Have Nots' on OWN

• Members

I mean, it's Tyler Perry, first off, so I expect it to be very heavy handed. I started the thread because up until now, I had no idea who would be in the cast. Apparently John Schneider, Tika Sumpter, Eva Tamargo (Passions' Pilar) and Peter Parros (OLTL/ATWT) will be in it.

Again, it's Tyler Perry, so I don't expect it to be anywhere near amazing soap. It's one hour, but is it comedy, drama? Curious if anyone is going to watch?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Actually from reading the synopsis of the show, it reminds me a lot of Upstairs/Downstairs from the 1970's. An awesome show that gave equal screen time to the wealthy patrons and the staff itself. It was a hybrid of self-contained episodes/continuing episodes as well.

If I didn't know Tyler Perry was doing this, i would swear this was an old school nighttime soap, but I have a feeling that it might become very preachy and heavy handed.

Though I did enjoy the Family that Prey's, so I might actually enjoy this show as well. Plus, nice to see a few daytime soap actors in the cast as well so it is made of win!

Glad Oprah is introducing some scripted programs on the show and if they take off, maybe she can employ an unknown black creator/producer for future scripted shows since Tyler Perry is kind of played out, imho.

• Members

I think Tyler Perry does do some things right, but I mean, House of Payne turned into one afterschool special after another. I appreciated Meet The Browns much more in the long run.

He's very heavy handed at times and preachy and I don't want this show to go down that road but I have a hard time seeing them taking this "seriously", but at the same time having it seem 'serious'.

It also doesn't help that he sometimes doesn't cast the, um, best actors in the world LOL

• Members

The synopsis sounds great. And for the most part, I like some of the actors cast on the show (Tika, Peter, and Eva). I'm all for a new soap/drama series that could potentially open doors for Oprah to consider greenlighting even more, but I pray that Tyler does not get "too soapy" to the point that it comes off amateurish, which he is known for doing a lot. *sighs* I see potential in this show. I just hope that Tyler has some strong(er) writers with backgrounds in soaps/dramas to keep his a** on track.

Hmm. . . I wonder if he needs a writer's assistant? tongue.png I only stay two hours from ATL and I'll be glad to assist him, but keep his behind on track because again, Tyler can get too melodramatic for my taste.