TV GUIDE TO AIR Y&R

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm wondering the same thing lol A 36-minute episode doesn't need to be edited for a 36-minute timeslot, but then again, I'm unfamiliar with TVGN's editing of their other shows. I generally refuse to watch Designing Women on there as long as they still have listings taking up so much of the screen.

• Members

I'm in NYC and I was flipping channels the other day and saw Disney, Jr is actually on another channel in this area. Soapnet is still on here and no idea what's supposed to come in its place if DJ is already airing on another network.

With all of the over-the-air digital substations popping up showing classic shows (like Antenna TV, COZI-TV, etc.) I wish they would use one of the stations for daytime classics.

• Members

I kina get why, at SoapNet's peak, they didn't think showing regular classics was rating wise viable (although surely showing one a day--aside from Ryan's Hope--or a few every weekend from each major ABC soap would have worked)--but with ALL the channels, like you mention above, devoted to classic tv programming, it seems like this is a no brainer to me.

• Members

I totally agree 100%. There is absolutely no real reason why Guiding Light, the longest-running dramatic series in the history of the world, has never aired regularly in its home country outside its original broadcast run. It makes no sense whatsoever, it boggles the mind, etc. Weekend syndication can be chock-full of "lifestyle" sh!t that no one watches and reruns of "extreme teens" programs from circa 1997, yet we're to believe a company will go bankrupt if they reran daily episodes of a long-running, cancelled soap? It's nonsense.

• Members

I think part of the issue is simply that nobody has tried it yet (not really.) Someone just has to, and then I could see other tiny tiny tv cable stations doing the same. Apparently back when Hallmark was the Romance Channel, its reruns of Peyton Place (they ran through all four years twice I believe--which is a lot if you remember that the show never had reruns and aired 2-3 times a week) was extremely highly rated which is one reason it was even considered for its initial DVD release.

*edit* I guess it has been done with Dark Shadows (with, I understand, considerable success) and Strange Paradise but people see those as exceptions being genre soaps.

Archived