Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Tony Geary, Jane Elliot, Kin Shriner TV Guide Interview

Dishing the Golden Days of GH

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 Vizion

Vizion

Recurring

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

This might be one of my favorite interviews EVER! 

http://www.tvguide.c...ss=breakingnews

#2 dragonflies

dragonflies

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 25,451 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

I want to marry this

Elliot: It's my belief that The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful are the highest-rated shows because they use the same people decade after decade. That's what this audience wants to see — their old characters in new situations. And that's what our current executive producer and head writer, Frank Valentini and Ron Carlivati, are delivering.

#3 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

Black in the Day Soapy Goodness

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

I want to marry this

Elliot: It's my belief that The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful are the highest-rated shows because they use the same people decade after decade. That's what this audience wants to see — their old characters in new situations. And that's what our current executive producer and head writer, Frank Valentini and Ron Carlivati, are delivering.

I see what you did right there, so I got this for you in gold (for today's anniversary):

bulletproof-vest.jpg

#4 dragonflies

dragonflies

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 25,451 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

I was referring more to the first part than anything lol :P

So this is true......

Geary: And let us not forget that writers get residuals for every new character they create as long as that character is on the air.

#5 Y&RWorldTurner

Y&RWorldTurner

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

Well, it's also a problem if these shows can't create compelling new characters. All these characters were new characters at one point...

GH reinvented itself in the 90's with a host of new characters as well (the SoapNet marathon is evident of that). 

#6 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

So this is true......

Geary: And let us not forget that writers get residuals for every new character they create as long as that character is on the air.

Welp, that explains why I've had to suffer through Jar Jar Binks for this long...

#7 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,694 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

Well, it's also a problem if these shows can't create compelling new characters. All these characters were new characters at one point...

GH reinvented itself in the 90's with a host of new characters as well (the SoapNet marathon is evident of that). 

I swear some of us are watching 2 different shows.  There has not been one compelling coherent story since the 2 headed clown took over.  If the hogwash coming out of Jane's mouth is the truth, shouldn't GH be doing a whole helluva lot better?  The show is  a disjointed mess! 

Should they just recast Steve Hardy, Jesse Brewer, Lila, Edward and the other characters from 50 years ago and have nothing but a slew of senior citizens on walkers and wheelchairs? 

Tony Geary and Genie were new at one point.

Brenda, Sonny, Liz, Jax, Carly, etc.  Shows evolve and can succeed with new characters if they are carefully woven in and the the stories are good.  Cartini has not done that, and you better believe once the LV 3 return (as whomever), the vets will be a thing of the past, as most of them should be! 

Jane, I hate to have to say this, but STFU! 

Edited by ChitHappens, 01 April 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#8 dragonflies

dragonflies

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 25,451 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

no Jane is spot on. I wonder if you've sat and watched a full episode Andrea, it sure doesn't seem like it at all. I'm not saying Carlivati is perfect, but the show is loads better than when Guza was running it into the ground.

#9 dragonflies

dragonflies

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 25,451 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

Elliot: I heard you woke up Lynn's husband, Wayne [Northrop], at 6 a.m. the other day. Kin loves to talk on the phone.

Geary: [Laughs] Hey, it's not that we're hard to get on the phone. It's that it's hard to get you off the phone!

:lol:

#10 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,694 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

Welp, that explains why I've had to suffer through Jar Jar Binks for this long...

Doesn't explain why Cartini choose to keep him, however! 

As for Geary, not sure why he wants to talk sh!t when he was Guza's partner in crime in the mess Luke has become and wasn't he behind that thing called Ethan?  New characters are a bad idea unless they meet Tony's approval?  Asswhipe!

#11 Y&RWorldTurner

Y&RWorldTurner

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

Tony Geary has gone on record several times talking about his dislike of soaps and the medium. 

The fact that he's calling out Frons for the same exact thing means nothing to me. What a f.ucking hypocrite. 

#12 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,694 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

no Jane is spot on. I wonder if you've sat and watched a full episode Andrea, it sure doesn't seem like it at all. I'm not saying Carlivati is perfect, but the show is loads better than when Guza was running it into the ground.

Jane was not spot on!  She is getting airtime so now it looks as if she will say anything to make the 2 headed hack happy (NLG anyone?).  Tracy is pure foolishness right now and nothing near the ass kicking business woman she should be.  Ron is not perfect nor is he any good!  He's a hack of the highest order, but I'll pass on the Ron vs Rob fight.  I don't need Guza to prove Ron should not be writing a grocery list let alone a soap opera! 

#13 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

Considering that JE has had more to do under Cartini than she's had to do under that rancid regime, I don't blame her one iota for talking them up.  She doesn't seem to be the kind to kiss ass and talk sh!t after a team's departure, so I think that she fully believes in what she's saying here.

#14 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,694 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

Tony Geary has gone on record several times talking about his dislike of soaps and the medium. 

The fact that he's calling out Frons for the same exact thing means nothing to me. What a f.ucking hypocrite. 

Yeah, he's a real POS alright!  Anything so that he can take 11 months off a year and take home the same salary as if he did some real work.  Asswhipe! 

Considering that JE has had more to do under Cartini than she's had to do under that rancid regime, I don't blame her one iota for talking them up.  She doesn't seem to be the kind to kiss ass and talk sh!t after a team's departure, so I think that she fully believes in what she's saying here.

Jane has been given NOTHING to do, but at least she gets airtime.  So I guess that ok. 

#15 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

Doesn't explain why Cartini choose to keep him, however! 

As for Geary, not sure why he wants to talk sh!t when he was Guza's partner in crime in the mess Luke has become and wasn't he behind that thing called Ethan?  New characters are a bad idea unless they meet Tony's approval?  Asswhipe!

Good point about Jar Jar and you pretty much echoed what I had to say about TG in the current GH thread.  He - along with MB - need to have several seats and twin pitchers of STFU.

#16 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

Jane has been given NOTHING to do, but at least she gets airtime.  So I guess that ok. 

From what I remember of the Showkilling 3's years of crap, all Evilena had to do was hang onto Luke's crusty balls for dear life.  At least this regime bothered to remember that she had a family to battle with, have her interact with other characters outside that family whose name wasn't Luke, and gave her a non-Luke love interest (even if it was short-lived) that (from what I heard) actually liked the sight of her.

#17 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,694 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

From what I remember of the Showkilling 3's years of crap, all Evilena had to do was hang onto Luke's crusty balls for dear life.  At least this regime bothered to remember that she had a family to battle with, have her interact with other characters outside that family whose name wasn't Luke, and gave her a non-Luke love interest (even if it was short-lived) that (from what I heard) actually liked the sight of her.

Anything if it yields "Ron is better than whomever", I guess. 

A majority of FRon's energy has been wasted on the LV3, how to include them in the GH cast, write their love interests, how to write them out and how to write them back in as different characters if need be.  EVERYTHING else has been half assed and ridiculous! 

Tracy should have been given a business rival, a new character who battled the Qs.  As it stands, the race is on for a [!@#$%^&*] recipe as Tracy looks more ridiculous with each passing eppy.  She can't even intercept a damn Fedex package without looking like a clown!  REEEEEEdiculous! 

Scottie, he just needs to take that drugde back to Paris so I don't have to see or hear from her ass ever again.  Scottie is a joke, a bloated joke, but at least another vet is onscreen.  Matters not that he's not doing anything different than before, only this time, he looks worse.  Ron will write him out soon enough, so I won't waste much time speaking of him! 

But again, if it yields "Ron is better than whomever", so beit! 

#18 Harmony233

Harmony233

Recurring

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Great interview it was funny I loved hearing about the backstage gossip

#19 R Sinclair

R Sinclair

The Original R. Sinclair

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,221 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

Loved the interview. Disagree with the Saviors Complex, however. I'm still waiting for a well told, emotional investment story. Something that was thought out from start to finish. Not just a bunch of "What If" scenarios passing themselves off as stories. Not to mention, they've been working overtime to keep Konnie and Todd front and center. This show is not balanced at all. The day Scott arrived and saw Luke with Laura for the first time, all of their scenes combined totaled to under 4 minutes of airtime while John/Todd/Rafe scenes came up to 10 minutes that same episode. Something's amiss when you do have the iconic Luke/Laura/Scotty triangle taking up only 3 minutes of show time while the stupid and poorly thought out Vampire story took up a third of that episode. I'm not saying every day "the vets" have to have the most airtime. However, when you build the previous episode's tag around a Luke/Laura/Scotty "reunion," you're clearly hoping that's going to lure people in who are feeling nostalgic. Only to do a bait and switch and have them suffer through 10 minutes of vampire garbage and only see 3 minutes of the reason they tuned in. Not only that, but to just have it be more of the same Luke and Scott bickering over Laura.

#20 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

Anything if it yields "Ron is better than whomever", I guess. 

A majority of FRon's energy has been wasted on the LV3, how to include them in the GH cast, write their love interests, how to write them out and how to write them back in as different characters if need be.  EVERYTHING else has been half assed and ridiculous! 

Tracy should have been given a business rival, a new character who battled the Qs.  As it stands, the race is on for a [!@#$%^&*] recipe as Tracy looks more ridiculous with each passing eppy.  She can't even intercept a damn Fedex package without looking like a clown!  REEEEEEdiculous! 

Scottie, he just needs to take that drugde back to Paris so I don't have to see or hear from her ass ever again.  Scottie is a joke, a bloated joke, but at least another vet is onscreen.  Matters not that he's not doing anything different than before, only this time, he looks worse.  Ron will write him out soon enough, so I won't waste much time speaking of him! 

But again, if it yields "Ron is better than whomever", so beit! 

Because it's the truth when it comes to what I've seen of their past year in comparison to the dreck that defined this show over the previous 12 years.

*shrug*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users