Why do SOAPNET delete some GH scenes in the 50 marathon episodes?

• Members

I have been watching the Luke and Laura wedding episode....and I miss some scenes that I have in the same episode in an old videotape....I remember that SOAPNET did the same with OLTL marathon...exactly with the 1979 Karen Wolek confession episode....It is really strange...and I don't know why SOAPNET does it....

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The earlier episodes ran 43 minutes without commercials, now it is only 36 minutes long. Soapnet is doing this for years. I believe the oldest episode witthout missing scenes is the 1999 episode.

• Members

Yeah it's frustrating but probably unavoidable. I noticed it way back with the I Love Lucci Erica marathon--the odd thing was they showed one episode (I think the 1979 birth control pills one) already as two 30 minute Daytime to Remember episodes. And the SOapnet airing, and the 1997 DTR airing (so I guess more commercials were already in place) actually chose to cut (brief) *different* scenes.

Of course now I think primetime is 42-43 minutes without commercials, as opposed to older shows which seemed to run 46+

• Members

I hate how lazy it is often done-like you know something was cut because in syndication they come back from a commercial or open a scene in a sitcom with the laughtrack from a edited joke already playing. (But really, the only time it really seems beyond excsable is all those examples of tv shows being released to DVD in the edited syndicated versions.)

• Members

Then people wouldn't buy them for syndication. THe syndication time slots and basic cable slots want and need the modern daytime amount of commercial times for their show--it's as simple as that. But I'm sure the people who edit them are ust random hacks who don't have the time to actually go through the episode and look for a decent edit place (though with the ones like some seasons of Roseanne where the DVD ended up with the syndication edits, I suppose those were done by whoever prepared the syndication package probably with a bit more thought...

Archived