Y&R's Debut Episode from 3/26 1973

• Members

Loved this era of Y&R. The rivalry between Leslie and Lorie was always my favorite, first with Brad, then with Lance. I do think it's kind of funny that Bell used the sibling writing the family tell-all book in the guise of fiction here because he had done the same thing on Days a few years earlier (in that case it was Greg and Eric Peters who were the siblings). The book titles were even basically the same--In My Sister's Shadow vs. In My Brother's Shadow.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thank you so much. I watched this on that site a few years ago but was never able to go back. The ATWT episode they had up - what was it? Is it already on Youtube? (I think it was an episode soon after Margo pulled Casey's plug) If not can you upload it?

• Members

Thanks for that! I remember when this first was released, wondering how that was Brenda Dickson! :D The sets are so beautiful in this episode, especially that house Leslie is in. And the music is perfect! Ryan's Hope really spoiled me and got me interested in these 70s soaps. I wish they'd do a DVD for Y&R, especially since they released two boxsets for B&B.

• Members

Thanks for the 1975 episode. I saw it a few years ago on youtube before it was removed. I love all the vintage background music, especially the harpsichord music that is playing when the Brad & Leslie scene starts with the stained glass window at the top of the stairs.

If they ever brought back any of the Fosters and Brooks (maybe the younger generation like Brooks or Jennifer Elizabeth), they should use only vintage 70's background music during their scenes and have one of them living in the Brooks house.

• Members
The last person had an incorrect date. The episode was telecast the first week of May 1975. I know it has been labeled as March 24, 1975 by the MBC, but they are wrong. The big event in March, celebrating Y&R's second anniversary was Jennifer Brooks gathering all of her daughters together for a special dinner in which she revealed plans to leave their father Stuart for old flame Bruce Henderson. Meanwhile, Stuart had decided to transfer more power in the newspaper in order to devote more time to his wife. As Jennifer declared her intent to divorce, Stuart, alone in his office, lie dying after suffering a sudden heart attack. This was contrasted with another divorce story, that of Philip and Kay Chancellor. In March, Philip had just asked Kay for a divorce and presented a luxurious engagement ring to Jill. Kay pretended to accept the situation and even offered to help Jill. She told Jill that Philip wanted her now because of her youth and sexuality, but one day, he would need a wife of breeding and sophistication to stand beside him in business and community events. Jill was a lower middle class girl with nothing more than a cosmetology license and a high school diploma. Kay suggested that Jill postpone marriage to Philip and attend college first, with Kay sponsoring her and paying her tuition and living expenses. Jill said she hated school and had no desire for education. Undaunted, Kay went to Liz Foster with the proposal. She hoped the Foster family could reason with Jill, make her see that in her current position, she was completely unsuited as a wife for a man of wealth and importance. Meanwhile, Kay convinced her son Brock that he had to save Jill from a disastrous liaison with a married man. To sweeten the deal, Kay promised to give the newlyweds access to the family fortune. Brock proposed marriage, and Jill, now feeling completely inferior and an albatross to the man she loved, agreed to be Brock's wife. This is what led to the arrival of Bill Foster in April. Jill wanted him brought home to meet Brock and see the life she was creating for herself. Bill's arrival created conflict for Liz, whose boyfriend Sam Powers had proposed marriage. Bill decided to leave Genoa City rather than continue to hurt the family he had abandoned, and that is when he collapsed, revealing that he did not have long to live. It is later the same month that Jill learns she is carrying Philip's child, news of which sends him to the Dominican Republic for a quickie divorce, leading to tragedy when arrives home in June.

• Members

Oh ok!, Yeah i recall there seemed to be two different dates given for this episode, one for March 24, then the one which I remember as being May 6, 1975 which has to be the correct date. I guess I was thinking that the dates were different because I swore at one point that both the full episodes that included those 2 well known Kay and Phillip clips from 1975 (including this one) were uploaded at the same time. I thought that the one that was supposedly March 24, (which is this one) was when Phillip had asked Kay for the divorce and she says that prayer at the end, and then the one from May 6 (which again is this episode) had the scene where Kay actually signs the divorce papers and crys out at the end on the floor.

Thanks for helping us out with this information! :)

• Members
I appreciate your support. Thank you for watching. I am preparing two episodes of Y&R, one from the 70s and one from the early 90s. However, most likely they will be private uploads. My channel was nearly shut down over an episode of its sister soap, so I must tread very carefully where current CBS soaps are concerned. Send me an email to let me know your username on YT, and I will send you a link to the private Y&R episodes.

• Members

I was very wary of posting this ep as publicly as I did, but I figured since there are so many more recent Y&R uploads, mine wouldn't be noticed or fussed over. Hopefully it's not!!

I didn't download any of the other episodes MBC had on its site, unfortunately. I really considered this Y&R ep the only "find" (as well as the Peyton Place episodes), and I only downloaded it because I wanted to see if it would play on my devices, so this was years ago. Unless yall know how to transfer VHS tapes to YouTube-able files, I have nothing else to upload :( I have like one episode of Forever Fernwood on tape that I've never seen online ever.

Archived