Y&R's Debut Episode from 3/26 1973

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wasn't yet around for the first episode, so I will be watching this later on when I have the chance.

Thanks for posting this!smile.png

That opening image (which I saw on a much grainier YouTube clip a few years ago), reminds me of something someone posted, I think, on this site. About someone driving a truck into town and hitting another charactertongue.png I wish I could find that post, because it was hilarious! Whomever wrote that post, identify yourself and take a bow!laugh.png

• Members

Didn't they post this one of the last anniversaries? Or maybe I just saw it on youtube and then it was removed--really great to see. Did Bell used to wipe tapes or not?

I've never been a huge huge fan of Bell's style (I more than respect his work, but sjust like most people seem to be divded between the two, I'm obviously more into Nixon's style,) but I think I would have loved Y&R in the 70s.

• Members

Good call! I thought it sounded like Morricone. Interesting--in the 80s ABC's soaps, especially AMC used a lot of recognizable film music cues in their scores (the famous example being Erica trying to get Jeremy out of jail to the famous Halloween theme of all choices.) I wonder if Y&R did this more at the start--the iconic theme music of course is itself a movie cue.

• Members

I love seeing premiere episodes of our soaps.. I had never seen the first episode of Y&R.. absolutely LOVED hearing the same Y&R music in the episode. Congrats to the Y&R family for 40 amazing years.. and for 24 years as number 1.. That is truly an accomplishment! I know Y&R has its ups and downs just like all our other soaps.. but 24 years at number 1 is a huge accomplishment that no other soap has done.

• Members

I really wish that Y&R would release episodes from their early years b/c I'd love to watch them. Reading their synopsis endears me enough, but being able to see the actual footage would be even better. I also love looking at the structure of the sets--how they're simplistic to modern day standards, but have that "homey" feeling to it, and their colorful compared to soaps now, which are all dark tones. I just want to see more, and wish they'd release more online--like the equivalent of GH doing 50 hours, but release 40 hours or episodes of Y&R throughout the years (not just episodes post the Fosters/Brooks clans).

• Members

I have seen the first episode many times but echoing others this is the best picture and sound quality I have seen in this version!

A few things I observed:

I really like the opening music with Brad (Elliot) I had no idea that it was taken from a movie though.

Snapper and WGE closely resemble Brock and Beau Kazer

I never realized how beautiful Sally was, same for Chris and Leslie.

Stuart is very Eric Forrester like.

I guess Pierre was the first "comic relief" character Y&R had.

I always have been a fan of the music that plays during Deidre Hall's last scene. That music was still used throughout most of the early 90's episodes I have and uploaded.

They need to release more episodes on this site or even pull a B&B and release the first 25 or so episodes on the CBS website (the advertisements would get in the way though.)

I wish the 2nd episode would just get released, I always wondered if that was Jill and Liz's introduction.

Archived