Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Y&R's Debut Episode from 3/26 1973

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 rlj

rlj

Contract

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

Here is the exclusive video;

http://insidetv.ew.c...t-episode-40th/

#2 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

Not sure why I always thought this show was older than 40 years. 

#3 CSF

CSF

Classic Soap Fan

• Members
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

Y&R looked amazing, better than it has the past few years.

#4 DramatistDreamer

DramatistDreamer

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

I wasn't yet around for the first episode, so I will be watching this later on when I have the chance.

Thanks for posting this!smile.png

That opening image (which I saw on a much grainier YouTube clip a few years ago), reminds me of something someone posted, I think, on this site.  About someone driving a truck into town and hitting another charactertongue.png  I wish I could find that post, because it was hilarious!  Whomever wrote that post, identify yourself and take a bow!laugh.png

#5 YRBB

YRBB

That's Head Bitch Jill Foster Abbott to you!

• Members
  • 6,232 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Seen this twice already lol but never in good quality! What a treat!

#6 Nothin'ButAttitude

Nothin'ButAttitude

I's married now!

• Members
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Wow this is clearest I've ever seen the premiere episode, but I love it. So simple yet captivating. Just shows how simple storytelling can still capture an audience today. 

#7 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,560 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

Didn't they post this one of the last anniversaries?  Or maybe I just saw it on youtube and then it was removed--really great to see.  Did Bell used to wipe tapes or not?

I've never been a huge huge fan of Bell's style (I more than respect his work, but sjust like most people seem to be divded between the two, I'm obviously more into Nixon's style,) but I think I would have loved Y&R in the 70s. 

Edited by EricMontreal22, 26 March 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#8 Vee

Vee

A Chinchilla Of Doubt

• Members
  • 10,901 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

The opening music! I know it well, it's Ennio Morricone's theme from Le Casse (The Burglars), a classic French-Italian heist picture with Jean-Paul Belmondo.

#9 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,560 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

Good call!  I thought it sounded like Morricone.  Interesting--in the 80s ABC's soaps, especially AMC used a lot of recognizable film music cues in their scores (the famous example being Erica trying to get Jeremy out of jail to the famous Halloween theme of all choices.)  I wonder if Y&R did this more at the start--the iconic theme music of course is itself a movie cue.

#10 jo.frank88

jo.frank88

Recurring

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

I love seeing premiere episodes of our soaps.. I had never seen the first episode of Y&R.. absolutely LOVED hearing the same Y&R music in the episode. Congrats to the Y&R family for 40 amazing years.. and for 24 years as number 1.. That is truly an accomplishment! I know Y&R has its ups and downs just like all our other soaps.. but 24 years at number 1 is a huge accomplishment that no other soap has done.

#11 alphanguy74

alphanguy74

The Chen Broadcasting System presents this program in color

• Members
  • 4,485 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

Did Bell used to wipe tapes or not?

Nope. Y&R's entire run in completely intact.

Edited by alphanguy74, 26 March 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#12 Nothin'ButAttitude

Nothin'ButAttitude

I's married now!

• Members
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

I really wish that Y&R would release episodes from their early years b/c I'd love to watch them. Reading their synopsis endears me enough, but being able to see the actual footage would be even better. I also love looking at the structure of the sets--how they're simplistic to modern day standards, but have that "homey" feeling to it, and their colorful compared to soaps now, which are all dark tones. I just want to see more, and wish they'd release more online--like the equivalent of GH doing 50 hours, but release 40 hours or episodes of Y&R throughout the years (not just episodes post the Fosters/Brooks clans). 

#13 yr9190

yr9190

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

I have seen the first episode many times but echoing others this is the best picture and sound quality I have seen in this version!

A few things I observed:

I really like the opening music with Brad (Elliot) I had no idea that it was taken from a movie though.

Snapper and WGE closely resemble Brock and Beau Kazer

I never realized how beautiful Sally was, same for Chris and Leslie.

Stuart is very Eric Forrester like. 

I guess Pierre was the first "comic relief" character Y&R had.

I always have been a fan of the music that plays during Deidre Hall's last scene. That music was still used throughout most of the early 90's episodes I have and uploaded.

They need to release more episodes on this site or even pull a B&B and release the first 25 or so episodes on the CBS website (the advertisements would get in the way though.)

I wish the 2nd episode would just get released, I always wondered if that was Jill and Liz's introduction.

Edited by yr9190, 26 March 2013 - 10:41 PM.

#14 beebs

beebs

Contract

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Jeez, even the first episode hooked me completely. Shows why Bill Bell's one of my all-time favourite writers in any genre. Miss him so much.

#15 y&r_fan

y&r_fan

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

I still don't see why Y&R hasn't done DVDs yet since the B&B ones have done so well.

I think Y&R should release 'Best of 70s', 'Best of 80s', 'Best of 90s' and 'Best of 00s' box sets. That would be the best way to do it.

#16 yr9190

yr9190

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

I still don't see why Y&R hasn't done DVDs yet since the B&B ones have done so well.

I think Y&R should release 'Best of 70s', 'Best of 80s', 'Best of 90s' and 'Best of 00s' box sets. That would be the best way to do it.

I agree.

#17 will81

will81

Recurring

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:08 AM

Have seen this before, but like so many, not in this quality. 

I hooked my laptop up to my tv and watched this on a big widescreen and it looked great. The lighting in the Brooks home is fantastic. You have a lot of bright colours with a lot of darker lighting and shadow detail. I like that Janice Lynde didn't really wear make-up (no more than needed for being on camera) definitely the right choice for her character. Don't think anyone would really do that now even though most women I know don't really wear make-up day to day or very little anyway.

I Like the relationship between Leslie and Chris already. Bell was able to do so much in just a few minutes, and Janice and Trish had a very easy rapport. 

I really want to continue watching now.

Why can't they stream them online. Even if they have to replace music. I am surprised this episode was completely intact though, I figured at the very least The Look of Love might have been subject to music rights issues.

Barring streaming every episode, I would love to see an illustrated detailed synopsis. With clips demonstrating story lines from each year while someone narrates. I wonder if that would be too difficult in terms of rights clearances.

Edited by will81, 27 March 2013 - 01:08 AM.

#18 Vee

Vee

A Chinchilla Of Doubt

• Members
  • 10,901 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

It was really compelling stuff. Especially the "no strings" relationship between Snapper and Sally and their subsequent discussion of it - even today, soaps have kind of regressed backwards from that kind of stuff and candid discussion of it. I hope the online revivals explore that kind of honesty again.

Wish I could see more.

#19 alphanguy74

alphanguy74

The Chen Broadcasting System presents this program in color

• Members
  • 4,485 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

Have seen this before, but like so many, not in this quality. 

I hooked my laptop up to my tv and watched this on a big widescreen and it looked great. The lighting in the Brooks home is fantastic. You have a lot of bright colours with a lot of darker lighting and shadow detail. I like that Janice Lynde didn't really wear make-up (no more than needed for being on camera) definitely the right choice for her character. Don't think anyone would really do that now even though most women I know don't really wear make-up day to day or very little anyway.

I Like the relationship between Leslie and Chris already. Bell was able to do so much in just a few minutes, and Janice and Trish had a very easy rapport. 

I really want to continue watching now.

Why can't they stream them online. Even if they have to replace music. I am surprised this episode was completely intact though, I figured at the very least The Look of Love might have been subject to music rights issues.

Barring streaming every episode, I would love to see an illustrated detailed synopsis. With clips demonstrating story lines from each year while someone narrates. I wonder if that would be too difficult in terms of rights clearances.

Yes, that's too tough... as far as licensing, no actors have to sign off if episodes are in their entirety. If you edit storylines together, it's a "new" show from a legal standpoint. And they wouldn't have problem with licensing on most of these eppies, Y&R actually commissioned their own score (for the most part)which means the show retains the rights to the background music.

#20 will81

will81

Recurring

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:30 AM

Yes, that's too tough... as far as licensing, no actors have to sign off if episodes are in their entirety. If you edit storylines together, it's a "new" show from a legal standpoint. And they wouldn't have problem with licensing on most of these eppies, Y&R actually commissioned their own score (for the most part)which means the show retains the rights to the background music.

Well I guess the best option is too release all episodes. It actually would have been great to have the first 40 episodes released on DVD for the 40th anniversary, or streaming online. Then if that was successful they could keep going.

Would Sony actually listen to fans if we bombarded them with requests through different social media? I wonder if they think there is a market, I wonder if there actually is a market. It is easy to think these things would be successful when you are on a soap board. 

Sony should test the waters with online streaming at least. Even if it is by some sort of paid subscription. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users