Martha Byrne's Gotham is BACK (now on TV)

• Members

I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about this, although I may have missed it! The show will be syndicated and also air on the web. The episodes will be 30 minutes each, but no word on if it'll have a daily or weekly format.

LINK: http://www.prurgent.com/2013-03-21/pressrelease290280.htm

Thoughts?

For me, I'm more shocked than anything. It's been four years since Gotham aired. I've always said Gotham is one of the few web soaps I'd LIKE to see move to tv because it had a good premise that would led itself to that. The production values weren't the best, but I could see what they were trying to achive and it felt like good soap. I hope with a bigger budget that these kinks are worked out. I hope it's a success! They certainly picked a good year to do this.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are we going to continue to have episodes where the credits take up half the show?

I will watch this if they bring back Melanie Smith and Lisa Peluso and Margaret Reed, etc. Not interested in Martha herself, never really have been.

• Members

That would be nice, depending on the P&G actors. I would be so happy to get people like Melanie Smith back on TV again. Liz Hubbard, Finn Carter, Kathleen Widdoes, Susan Marie Snyder, Marie Masters, Don Hastings, Kathryn Hays, on and on and on, from the ATWT cast alone.

• Members

I think it's a good idea, although, unlike a lot of soap fans, it didn't bother me whether I watch online or not (or course, having a giant gaming laptop screen doesn't hurt).

Yeah, I agree about the credits and/or the intro taking way too much time. That seemed excessive to me. I think I know why they did it (as a sort of recap but I watched a bunch of episodes in one sitting, so those intros seemed especially tedious and a waste of precious storytelling time.

Hopefully, they will be able to expand the set of character so that the storytelling is a tiny bit broader.

CarlD2, I'd love to see some of those ATWT characters appear in some capacity. I'd especially love a mini reunion with Finn (whom I haven't seen in so long) and Elizabeth. All the rest sound good too. Now, if they could get Brian Bloom, I'd really get excited!wub.png

Regardless of what people think of Martha, it is unlikely this show would have a chance of returning without her ability to network. She strikes me of someone who knows how to connect those links she's made throughout the years.

• Members

I would have to see what "nationally syndicated over our stations" really means.

As much as I love MP, I watched about TWO minutes of "the show" (which seemed to be mostly credits) before I gave up.

Although I will admit, I was HUGELY turned off by the casting choices and the fact it started airing (I believe) slightly before ATWT ended. It hurt too much to watch.

• Members

Let's just say this [!@#$%^&*] leaves me a good deal more skeptical about it somehow making it to a television screen than PP did in December.

That show was not exactly cable-ready.

• Members

I think the show needs to make some major structural changes. Many web series have increased their production values and started to improve the writing since Gotham streamed its last episode. So even if it would have returned as a web only series, it would've needed to make some improvements. On TV (even if it ends up one MeTV or Cozi) the expectations will be that much higher.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

• Members

Well said. When Gotham was running--or at least the first few episodes I saw, while webseries were obviously starting to become a viable thing, I still allowed a lot of leeway in terms of quality--and Gotham frankly still didn't live up to that IMHO. By current standards when you have a lot of webseries that honestly do look as good as (cheaper) cable programming, it seems odd to me that this would even still be viable. Is there a huge fanbase I am completely clueless about? Are people writing fanfic about what could have happened after the last made episode? Otherwise why not just start again from scratch?

Archived