Who was your show's Charity Rahmer?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Alan White as Chris Hughes on ATWT. There were a lot of Chris Hughes recasts and many of them were pretty bad but he was cringeworthy and not helped by the major change in the character and awful dialogue and bad/awkward chemistry with Kristina Sisco. He was nice to look at but luckily I don't think he lasted a month...

• Members

Charity Rhaimer is my show's Charity Rhaimer. haha

I'm always a fan of "giving a character a rest" between recasts of any character who has been played by the same actor for any length of time (even 2+years really)... Even if they write in that the character is out of town visiting family for a month or two, out on business, or just mentioned and not seen... it helps the transition from one actor to another for any character who has been played by the same actor for any good length of time. Charity Rhaimer helps prove this point.

• Members

The trio of Pierce Riley. The character was decent with RM's Janet Green, but his romance with Brooke felt forced and completely wrong, but it just got worse with Jim Fitzpatrick's abrupt departure, and the introduction of Greg Wrangler's version - who looked more like he could be JB's younger brother than a good choice for her current lover. Greg was only supposed to be a temporary replacement, so they could wrap up the story, but then like a bad penny, Pierce came back again in the form of Maxwell Caulfield, who didn't know for the first week that he character wasn't Australian - and he adopted a horrible American accent that made he acting, if possible, even more atrocious.

• Members

I agree. In fact I think they did this a lot more in the good old days, and if the recast came on straight away unless it was during the middle of a crucial storyline they would be on at most a few times a month for the first few months, then they would get more story.

I would add Days of Our Lives Steve Wilder to the mix, though he was on more than 3 months (about 8 months), I thought he was so awful. It was also the most bizarre recast moment with him taking over the role mid shower.

• Members

I like the dive right in approach myself, complete with "The role of ___ is now being played by __" -- or even more descriptively, "Returning to the role of ____ is ____" as they did on AW with Sandra Ferguson (Amanda) and possibly Matt Crane (Matt) when they came back in 1998.

I'm sad they don't do that intro voiceover for recasts anymore. I don't mind, it doesn't take me out of believing in what I'm watching. For some reason that narration allows me to reset and accept a recast as "official."

I can't think of any recast that has bombed so bad for the producers that they yanked them right away on any of the shows I watched while I was watching.

Archived