Y&R: Jeanne Cooper interview with TV Guide

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was a joke. How can someone not realise that and be upset about it? Why would someone feel the need to "attack" her? She is Jeanne Cooper. She has been on the show forever. She made a joke. Not to mention that she should be respected by the viewers and the people who are trying to make a name for themselves while on the show. The fact that she is smart, vibrant and loves a good joke makes me like her even more.

However I find it interesting that someone who has been on a new job for a few months (and the show's attention whore) would write an upset tweet about it.

• Members

So you're going to bitch about Haley Hunter King and Michael Muhney for tweeting ONE TIME each about the episode, but Cooper gets a complete "IT'S A JOKE!!! SHE'S JEANNE COOPER!!!" pass?

I personally don't give a rat's behind if she's Jeanne Cooper or if she's been this way forever. That doesn't mean she's right and that she shouldn't expect blowback when she opens her mouth and garbage falls out.

• Members

Braeden has taken far more direct shots at actors in interviews. Cooper was making a general statement about what the industry is for today's young people. It's not about them. It's about the industry. In her youth, there was time for training and rehearsal (in films or, when she got older, the early days of TV). That's mostly gone now. There's no real theater circuit, there's much less focus on talent.

Muhney just gets into too many beefs to take his opinion on this seriously.

I don't even know why the girl who plays Summer felt slighted, unless she feels she isn't good enough.

• Members

I dont see anything wrong with what she said. While it may not have been appropriate, it was the truth and cracking jokes based on the truth is something shes done as long as I can remember. With that said, I can also see why some of the younger actors would be offended/hurt/feel disrespected by her comments.

• Members

Jeanne rocks. She damn well has a right to say what's true for her and what she believes is true about the show. The fact is most young actors these days suck because they are not ACTORS! They are hair models. The reason the soap world went nuts over Tom Pelfry and a few other younger stars is because they can act. Compare most of these newbies today to a 20something Eileen Fulton or Kim Zimmer. Y&R is being populated by a bunch of hair models and Jeanne knows it. There was a brief clip of Shemar in the 40th anniversary stuff they covered with Kristoff the other day. Shemar puts this Roderick whatever his name is playing the brother of that other annoying actress (who can't act her way out of a paper bag either..she ain't no Drucilla).

She also knows that Griffith is a lame writer who was trying to introduce Alzheimer's storyline. His Y&R is one big snooze fest. The ratings will drop and in a year Josh will be given a stronger co-head or he and Jill will be fired.

I hope Jeanne makes life uncomfortable for Jill! Now there's a story. On the other hand, Jeanne is painful to watch on TV these days, as much as I love her. I always wait to see if she can keep her false teeth in during a meaty scene in which she's given lots of dialogue.

I understand the show's desire to bring on the next generation but TPTB have ridiculously aged characters (Kyle), forced unbearable models on us (Daisy, Eden) and destroyed the potential of others who could have been integral to the show (Emmy Rylan as Abby).

• Members

Since Darn thinks I'm on person screaming in a crowded room, I might as well keep screaming.

Most of the younger actors on Y&R are NOT hair models, and they don't suck. Redaric Williams can't act? Sorry, but if you believe that, you don't know acting. I don't get the criticism of Angell Conwell as annoying, either.

Y&R is not a snooze fest, and it's in better shape than it's been in a long time. You do NOT know that Josh Griffith was introducing an Alzheimer's s/l, either. And you already know about a ratings drop and a possible JG/JFP firing? Maybe I scream in a crowded room, but I don't make crap up.

Of course, you do call for Katherine making Jill miserable -- even though we know Jess Walton isn't a regular on the show any longer and have no idea when she's coming back.

Archived