Y&R: Michael Fairman interview with Phelps & Griffith

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^

Yep. B&B tapes half a year. I assumed that everyone knew that. That's why their stars are constantly abroad promoting shows their 6 months off or doing side projects. Getting off topic, I think with only having to work 6 months out of the year for 20 minute show, Brad should churn out some of the best scripts and stories EVER. But he doesn't. Last good year of B&B was '04. Since, Brad has become boring, lazy, and repetitive. How I keep wishing someone would come in and usurp him, but that won't ever happen . . .closedeyes.jpg

• Webmaster

B&B does not tape in the way some of you are thinking. The show, like GH and the rest film for a set number of weeks before going dark for a set number of weeks. You'll never see a difference on air. DAYS films 3 months ahead of airdate, B&B films a little more than a month ahead while GH films out of sequence (still 3-4 weeks ahead mostly) and Y&R films 3-4 weeks ahead of airdate. They all still have dark days that allows for them to have material air without any interruptions on air.

B&B does not film January-June or July- December.

• Webmaster

Not sure where you heard that, but they are not off six months out of the year. They do give their actors approximately 3 weeks off at certain intervals through out the year, but it doesn't total six months.

• Members

I tried to watch Y&R the other day but when I saw Steve Burton trying so hard to be angsty I had to turn it off. I'm just burnt out on him from his years on GH. I'm not saying he's terrible on Y&R but I just don't know.

JFP doesn't really get it and Griffith is as boring as his writing, though I think he's been a good fit for Y&R overall. I at least feel I'm watching familiar characters again and there isn't a "Black character day" anymore now that MAB is gone.

I already see a 'boys club' mentality and weddings are getting shot up so I see the same old from Jill. Piss poor sets, piss poor music, but she's not "changing Y&R". Yet Adam still has that godawful house? Did they ever finish redoing Victoria's and Billy's hovel?

And I know fans are "where's Kay and Jill" um ... Jeanne Cooper isn't getting any younger, god love her, and Jess was practically retired, I'm sure she's not going to care either way. Believe me, I'd love them to be frontburner but that's just not gonna happen. Jess and Jill very much should be, but she's recurring and it's JFP ...

Also, I see she's handling yet another iconic birthday for a show badly. Let's shoot up a wedding! YAY! Let's barely feature two huge characters in Kay and Jill. YAY! I don't mind the actors addressing the audience before the episodes though, but I'm just not impressed and I actually was willing to really give her the benefit of the doubt. It's still 'early' so we'll see. I'll keep giving it a try.

• Members

You know, people can say what they want about JFP, but I've always appreciated that she never pretends like she's the second coming or some revitalized force that will save daytime television or the genre as whole, as I've seen with other soap producers/writers.

She does what she wants to do and doesn't hide behind the legacy of the show or something else, and if you don't like it, she doesn't care. When it all boils down, she's really no better or worse than anyone else on daytime television, but she gets judged a lot more harshly than others, albeit, some of it is deserved, but some people will never give her a chance regardless. Everyone else on daytime currently is guilty of what she's often blamed for.

I'm not the biggest fan of Y&R, but people acting like she's destroying the show obviously have not watched the regimes that came before. The show right now is harmless, it's not exciting or must-see television, but it's really not a complete and utter mockery as the last regime was. What damage is she doing that hasn't already been done?

• Members

Regarding the FOJ thing, she isn't the only one to operate with that philsophy. It extends beyond the scope of daytime television.. even going as far as stage plays as well. One of my room mates directs plays and musicals for his past time and he admits to always recasting people that he knows can deliver the goods. I try to point out that it isn't fair to just do that, trying to provide evidenced that new blood is always in order but he says that he'd rather not take the chance and just work with people that he knows can deliver the goods.

So far, she has bought on people from her former shows that seem to jive with the parts they are playing so at least she is thinking about the character and which actor she knows from the past that could best play the part. At least she owns up to it and is open to casting a non-FOJ if the person she wants is unwilling to do the part

• Members

Another interview with Jill, I wish people would stop turning every f.ucking interview with her into one about Steve Burton and the FOJ thing:

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/tv/blogs/tv-buzz-blogpost.aspx?post=b7f3df23-afed-4ad3-bae8-7103f28f0a2e#scpshrtu

I wish someone did a real in-depth interview with her for once about every show she's worked on.

Archived