Y&R: Michael Fairman interview with Phelps & Griffith

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't care so much about which soap is better as I do about some outrage over questioning the brilliance of Brad Bell. This is a man who spent years trying to get people to root for Ridge to nail a girl he raised as his biological daughter for a good portion of her life.

• Members

Storm's suicide was hardly a story glorifying suicide. It was about a deeply troubled, guilt-ridden man who shot his sister, and from his deep guilt and remorse took his own life so she could live. The show wasn't saying suicide is noble. That was my take anyway.

• Members

If you have a mentally ill man who is somehow redeemed by killing himself to give his sister a reason to live, that's saying suicide is noble. The story was also rushed and littered with pretentious nonsense like Katie's underwater dreams where he was wearing Joker makeup.

• Members

I don't think anyone said Brad Bell was "brilliant", nor were they expressing "outrage" over anyone questioning it. I stated he had been a very successful head writer and EP. The current ratings seem to back this up. He's had his ups and down, but there must be something about his storytelling that keeps people watching. It's the number one soap worldwide and a consistent number two in the States. Jill said she doesn't think it's possible to combine the two roles successfully. I pointed out that it is and has been.

Maybe she should care more given all the shows she's been fired from. She only has the EP position at Y&R because she's a friend of Steve Kent's.

Archived