Retconned storylines you'd accept

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Kate Roberts was not a minor character from the 70's.

Dr Kate Winograd (played by Elaine Princi) was a completely different character to Kate Roberts.JER made up Kate Roberts and re-wrote the past saying Bill's affair with Kate Roberts drove Laura to the sanitarium.What happened onscreen at that time was completely different.

• Members

GL - Jonathan Randall having been abused by Alfred (instead of growing up happy on San Cristobel as he appeared when played by Sean Rademaker in the late 90s), and Sandy being his friend rather than Jonathan, was a huge retcon success to me.

It's easy for me to accept these retroactive revisions as long as they are somewhat explained and as long as they lead to story that is fraught with conflict, dilemmas, and emotion as all the stories from GL and GH I have mentioned in this thread do.

A retcon I'd want to see is if Asher turned out to be Miguel Chandler (son of Adam who had already been mentioned) on AMC. It seemed like they were going there for awhile with Adam also having been involved with his mother, but they backed off. So this wouldn't even necessarily be a retcon, just a reinstatement of what seems like was the original plan.

• Members

I liked Sandy too, because before the retcon he seemed like a rootable, kind character. But I still think it worked to have Tom Pelphrey end up being Jonathan as it set up even better story with Reva, Tammy, Alan, and Lizzie.

• Members

The thread is about the retcons that we would accept, not what Y&R is actually going do. It is a fantasy type thread so let us have it. Besides, logic and soap operas have never gone together. In any case, not all retcons are disasters like with Phillip's. A.J.'s return on GH has been very well done and has been a boon for the show as far as I am concerned.

• Members

Well, I never thought this was a thread about what Y&R would do. People have offered their fantasies, and others have responded to them throughout the thread. Just because my opinion doesn't agree with the fantasy doesn't mean it doesn't belong here. Besides, good soap opera has always had some level of logic and most of Y&R's deaths cannot be undone without major, major destroying of characters/history/past stories. So, anybody can wish whatever they want but just the mere prospect makes me wacko.png

Oh, Diane sad.png

• Members

I wasn't watching then but when Belle was born did they think it was Roman's or was the affair already out?

I know it wasn't that long after she was born she tried to sell her on the black market. Didn't Marlena get her back during Christmas 1994?

• Members

Sami found John/Marlena having sex in the conference room at Titan, then went off on her mom and became bulimic. When Marlena had Belle, Sami switched the blood test results but then tried selling Belle on the black market to get rid of her. John and Kristen went hunting for Belle, found Sami and brought her back at Christmas. But Stefano had Sami's diary, which detailed the affair, interrupted Belle's Christening, told Roman about it and Roman dumped Marlena.

Archived