DAYS: Tommy Horton Jr. - Question and Storyline Idea?

• Members

It bothers me that through DAYS history, the character of Tommy Horton Jr has nearly dissapeared. A character who has had potential to be such a Days legacy character is really an unknown. I first have a question and then a storyline idea that I would love to see to tie loose ends up with this character.

Question: I've watched Days since 1996, so I've never seen Tommy on-screen (except via YouTube flashbacks) and I know that many have (assumed) that Tommy has passed away already since he is rarely if ever mentioned the past 20 years and he didn't show up for Tom, Mickey, or Alice's funerals. However (correct me if I'm wrong long-time viewers/experts) but I don't believe its been factually addressed that Tommy Jr. is actually dead. Just wanted to ask the question: Are we sure Tommy Horton is dead? Or is his last known "for certain" location still Hawaii?

If he's not dead (as I don't believe has ever been clearly stated on-air) then I would love to see this short term storyline play out. Let me know your thoughts!... in episodes that could start airing this fall we see a strange elderly man (in his early 80s) peering into the Horton house window from the front porch. This old man (who we don't see his face initially) is peering in on a Horton gathering of Abby, Jennifer, Hope, Ciara, Maggie, Lucas, Will, etc...We (the audience) don't know who this man is, or even see his face for the first few episodes.. but this strange man seems to be quietly roaming around Salem. After peering in on the Horton's at Jenn's House - we see him staring at Tom & Alice's plaque at Horton Town Square.. he quickly scurries away when he sees Lucas coming in the distance... This old man walks into Common Grounds coffeeshop and is befriended by Will. They get to talk on a couple occasions and Will is intrigued to know who this man is.. Will opens up about his love life with Sonny and the troubles he had accepting himself and coming out, his troublesome upbringing with his mom, etc... They form a special bond. All while Will never knows the man's name - the only thing the man reveals is that he "grew up in Salem a long, long time ago and wanted to return home before the end of his life." The audience is still never told who this man is exactally, except that he seems to have a connection to the Horton's and doens't want his identity revelaed.He also seems to be sick, with nosebleeds, and is seen getting a few check-ups at the hospital with Dr. Cameron Davis. Cameron tells him he doesn't have long to live, his disease is running its course.. One day, while at Horton Town Square this man accidentally bumps into someone. He turns around to see the person he just bumped into is none other than Maggie. Maggie in shock drops her shopping bags and screams out in shock "Tommy Horton!" {cut to Friday cliffhanger}... Maggie is extremely angry and isn't afraid to show it!! She raves against Tommy about how DARE he cut ties with Salem and the Horton's the way he has. To move to Hawaii and never visit home for Thanksgiving or Christmas or hardly ever write home! To not even come home for his mom, dad's, or brother's funerals! To just write a letter or email once ever three or four years! How dare he treat his family this way. She could even use a line like "You know, our family has been through alot together! We've had a little drama here in Salem in the past three decades!" Maggie is beyond furious, and so are Doug and Julie when they show up right after Maggie! The three finally let Tommy get a word in edgewise to say that he is sorry he hasn't been there for his family. It's his fault. He always felt like the black sheep of the family and just wanted to escape all things Horton and Salem (hence his move to Hawaii with no returns home). Now that his parents and Mickey are gone, he wishes he would have been part of the Horton family here in Salem. He came home for one final time to see the town he grew up in and the family he had tried to forget. Will (who still doens't know the man's real identity - other than "Mr. H") learns about the man's ex-wife, Kitty, who died a long time ago, and his daughter died "too young," years before Will was born, leaving the man with no family - so he became an isolater. Maggie, Doug, and Julie are un-forgiving - they have years of bitterness against this man who in their opinion was ashamed to be a Horton. Word gets around town to the other Hortons (Jenn, Lucas, Hope, Nick, etc) that Tommy is back in town. They take the same stance as Maggie/Doug/Julie and feel hurt that this man has scorned the family. Will ( still not knowing this man's identiy) really bonds with the man as a mentor. The man offers Will advice about continuing to accept himself, honoring his family (even with all the crap his mom has done) and even meets Sonny at the coffeeshop too - telling them they make a great couple and he can tell Will really cares about him. Will and Sonny, though note that the man looks sick at times and he has frequent nosebleeds, Sonny wonders if he has a serious illness.... It's Thanksgiving and the Horton's are having a Thanksgiving Dinner - Will, knowing the man has no family, insists he come to dinner with Will. Tommy tries every excuse to avoid the dinner (as he is unsure if Will is speaking of his Horton family, or Brady family Thanksgiving Dinner) but Will is relentless.. practically dragging the man to the Horton House. "Mr. H" refuses to walk inside.. making every excuse possible. Finally Will opens the front door and drags him off the porch and into the foyer.. to the shock of all the Horton's waiting inside the House Will announces his "Guest of Honor... Mr. H!" Maggie looses it and goes off on her rant again.. Will is in shock and defends his friend..Will finally puts the pieces together and looks at the man to say " You?..You're my Uncle Tommy Horton?!" the man lowers his face in shame, looking down at the ground. But with the compassion and grace that Tommy has shown Will, Will shows the same... he announces to all the Hortons in the living room how much this man has inspired him and how much he has listened and offered avice. And if we as Horton's are about supporting our family (as Maggie and Julie have just so stated) how can we not offer forgiveness and love to Tommy...especially after all he has done for Will - being a true friend! Maggie breaks down into tears and says that Will is right. That Tom and Alice would be so happy to have their son standing in this living room on Thanksgiving night and runs over to Tommy to embrace him in a hug. The rest of the Horton's follow and embrace Tommy, forgiving him and loving him. Marlena (who has been standing in the background as a guest at the dinner) walks up to Will later and tells him how proud she is of him :) After dinner is eaten and everyone is gathered in the living room looking through old photo albums Tommy has to sneak away to the kitchen (YES! to see the Horton house kitchen set again! even if just a few episodes!) when he has a nosebleed. Cameron (who is at the dinner - guest of Abby) follows him into the kitchen and says.. "Mr. Horton - you're family would want to know." Tommy says he knows, but he didn't want any of them to feel sorry for him. Cameron reminds him that they all have made it pretty clear that they love him and have forgiven him. Tommy walks back out to the living room and says he would like to make a toast.. with eveyone listening he makes a toast to the dedication of family and the joy of forgiveness, the the compassion of true friendships (camera pans to Will). After the toast, while all eyes are still on him, he says he has another anouncement to make. That a year ago he was diagnoised with terminal leukemia and since being back in Salem has been under the care of Dr. Cameron Davis. Over the past few months has found peace with his impending death and has been given the best gift possible of reconsiling with his family again and being welcomed again in this house and he wants to take what little time he has left giving back to his amazing family and his hometown of Salem. Of course by now tears are in everyone's eyes (especially Will) who is the first to come hug Tommy. Tommy says he has missed many years with his family, but we must make the most of the time we have - and he intends on doing just that... Over the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas we see Tommy's health deteriorate (he is even admitted to the hospital for a few days) but he says he doesn't want to spend his last days is Univeristy Hospital - He offers words of advice to Father Eric at St. Luke's about living every moment as his last, he helps Abby and Jenn make some amazing special Horton doghnuts :) He talks with Cameron about being a Doctor who treats his patients, not as objects, but with compassion and empathy. He, Maggie, Julie, and Doug reminesce about old times and about he speaks with Lucas and Will about his relationship with Bill, as well as with Nick about funny childhood memories with his grandma, Marie. He continues to make trips to the coffeeshop, where he of course gets free coffee, and gets to visit with Will and Sonny....At the Christmas episode Tommy is in awe when Maggie asks him to dress as Santa Claus and read the Christmas Story to the children at Univeristy Hospital. The rest of the town watches on as Tommy reads the story dressed as Santa. Finally, at the Horton house, with all of the Hortons (and their guests) gathered round Tommy gets to hang his ornament on the tree - (right beside Will's)... and brings the Christmas episode to a close singing a Christmas carol sitting in Alice's chair, as snow falls outisde the Horton House.. After Christmas, Tommy's health falls worse, but he is able to come outisde the Horton house (where he has been staying since Thanksgiving) to the front patio (wearing oxygen) to countdown the New Year and see the Salem fireworks with Will and Sonny, Abbigal and Cameron, Victor and Maggie, and Doug and Julie. He says he's never had a better New Year's Eve getting to celebrate it with family he loves. His health worsens and Will visits him daily at the Horton house in his last few days and in early January at one of Will's visits Tommy says words of encouragement and love over his young great-nephew and makes Will promise to cry only happy tears before Tommy passes away. We could then see all the Horton's gather at St. Luke's (maybe even with the short term return of Bill and Marie - or even long term return of Bill) for Tommy's funeral where Will gives his an uplifiting eulogy speech.

Wow. Sorry that is such a long post - I tried to condense it, but wanted to get all the key points across. Anyways, just my ideas of a story I would love to see that I think would both respect show history, engage new viewers, engage nearly the entire cast canvas, and bring some really good emotional- drama, as well as tie up ends with this long-lost character (If writers/NBC execs are reading - feel free to use my idea haha). Anyways, what's your guys' thoughts?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Where is his daughter Sandy in all of this?

Days could do that with other forgotten Hortons like Steve and David.

I always thought it would have been cool in the mid 2000's when Frances was still able for a Horton Family reunion to have been organized for Alice and as many actors as possible to be rounded up.A wonderful gift to viewers and to Frances.

I envisaged

Doug/Julie/Jennifer

David (Gregg Marx)

Scott (Rick Hearst)

Steve (Stephen Schnetzer)

Bill (Ed Mallory)

Marie (Maree Cheatham)

Mike (Roark Critclow)

Sandy (Martha Smith or Pam Roylance)

Melissa (Lisa Trusel)

Sarah

Jessica (Jean Bruce Scott)

Laura (Rosemary Forsyth or Jaime Lyn Bauer)

John Lupton had passed by this time Days should have killed off Tommy at that time (1993) It could have been dealt with in one episode as Tommy didn't mean much by that time.

• Members

I was wondering what happened to Sandy too. What would be the reason given for Tommy's estrangement from the family? He was never the black sheep, that was Bill. Tommy was actually the son put on the pedestal because he was thought dead for so long. I believe that somewhere along the line that it should have been mentioned that Tommy had died. Other than when he had amnesia and fell in love with his sister, which happened in the 60s, I didn't find him an interesting character. It would be nice if Bill returned and established a relationship with his grandson, Will. That could also cause some resentment from Lucas because he never got the chance to have a relationship with Bill. I would also like for Marie to be around for her grandson, Nick. The original Marie, Maree Cheatham (and last remaining original cast member), is still working and looks great. She's been tweeting that she's appearing as a regular on an upcoming Nickelodeon show.

• Members

In my scanario Tommy mentioned to Will that his "daugheter" (AKA: Sandy) "died too young... long before Will was born." (I'm estimating sometime in the mid-late 80s. However, that part of the scanario could easily be changed to allow for Sandy to be alive (maybe even with a 20-ish son or daughter of her own to futher expand the Horton clan??)....The reason for Tommy's estrangement for the family was that he FELT he was "the black sheep" and was tired of living in the shadow of the Horton name so he wanted to get as far away from the Horton's (and Salem) as he possibly could (hence the move to Hawaii, and never being heard from) - However, like I said, I started watching in 1996 so my history of the character of Tommy ( and even Bill) is really just what I know through research. Maybe Bill was more of the black sheep, but I was just trying to make sense with the storyline (at least as much as possible) and I (believe) that even when Tommy was a character on screen, he seemed to be more of background player (from what I've heard).. and espcially with it being 30 years since we have even seen the character - I don't think it would be too far of a stretch for the storyline to play out as I said, where Tommy returns feeling like he has been the "black sheep".. I just would love to see some resolution to this (could be) iconic character - and interweaving him into the current cast canvas with dramatic, inspirational, and emotional story would make it even better!

• Members

This was great! I like the storyline idea and concept. Tommy wasn't the blacksheep as someone else mentioned. But I do like the storyline behind it. I do believe that they did mention Tommy Jr. had died some years back in the 1990s I think...I have to go back and check one omy books because it might have still listed his character as being alive. As far as Sandy Horton, her character is still alove. She never was killed off. I would love for Sandy Horton to return to the show. I think more Hortons are needed for the family to be recentered.

• Members

True.

And I've heard it said as well of their being a mention of Tommy's death during Tom's funeral episodes.. but I also heard that this was not true and in my own research have never been able to confirm this. That was one of my main questions too.. if anyone was for certain that Tommy is alive or not? I agree that I believe we have never been told for certain.

• Members

Probably someone said at some point "Oh I wish Tommy could be here with us", and they took that to mean he'd died.

Frankly, your idea sounds lovely, and really does fit in well with the current tone of the show. It'd be a lovely way to close up such a giant hole in the Horton clan history. Great work!

• Members

If I'm remembering correctly, they didn't say Tommy was dead during Tom's funeral episodes but made a reference to Mickey being Tom's oldest son, which wouldn't be true if Tommy were alive. Consequently, people assumed that meant Tommy was dead. It's just as likely that he was merely forgotten by the writers so your idea could still be viable.

Archived