Knots Landing VS Desperate Housewives

allmc2008

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IDK if melodramatic is the word, to me KL was just good soap. It was very character driven and they didn't talk down to the audience. Scenes were well-written, plots were thought out. Characters were interesting. Some fantastic actors. Powerful storylines and scenes. Karen, Val (before they turned her into a bit of a joke), ABBY (such a great bitch. I loved her), Sumner ... Paige ... sigh. I mean, not EVERYTHING was wonderful but it's hard to ever find anyone saying anything bad about it. It ran for 14 seasons for a reason.

I have to watch this all again. It's been too long.

• Members

Based on my viewing of the first 3 seasons, no!

Housewives was very plot driven and would wipe out any character development within that plot, so they could move on to the next plot.

Knots Landing was very character driven. In Housewives defense it wasn't a parody but it didn't take it self to serious.

• Members

Knots Landing was your basic 70s style drama at first. It was formatted just like an episode of Family, Eight Is Enough, or The Waltons with a problem of the week. Then after the end of the first year they started serializing a little and by the third year it was a full blown serial.

Desperate Housewives was a silly comedy/drama.

• Members

The comparison stops at "they all live in the same street and women are front and center."

KL was excellent character-driven soap, not nearly as melodramatic as the other 3 soaps, which could brilliantly combine fantastical soap storylines with everyday moments like doing dishes, getting dressed, brushing hair.

Yes!

Yes. I loved Housewives, but character was definitely not their strongest asset.

• Members

I enjoyed some seasons of DH but everytime I watched I was reminded how fun the first season was and how there was a lot of potential pissed down the drain for the stupid mystery of the season EVERY year instead of drawing plots from the characters.

Archived