Was Vanessa Marcil the Jennifer Lopez of daytime in the 90's?

• Members

Like everybody else, I haven't a clue why the OP connected Lopez and Marcil. At first, I thought it was because Vanessa was getting married a lot ... but oh, nevermind.

But asking a gay man to stay out of any thread involving gay favorites like Jennifer Lopez and/or Vanessa Marcil is like asking a cat to not smell a half-way opened can of tuna fish.

Vanessa Macil is in my humblest of gay opinions one of the two hottest women ever (the other femme fatale is also named Vanessa) and I hate it when a gay man spits out the names of women he would do and seriously, I am as gay as they get ... but Vanessa Marcil? Oh hell to the yeah. (did I answer or add to this thread? I doubt it! I just know Vanessa Marcil is one of the most beautiful women of all-time and so there ya go!).

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q484/Rare_Soap_Opera_Magazines/Marcil_zps96f7dc60.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The question itself is a bit strange, but all I'll say is that, from what I can tell, Vanessa Marcil's level of popularity in the 90s was the kind that most daytime soap stars don't get, or really didn't get at all after the Luke & Laura phenomenon ended (and even then, people on the street wouldn't recognize her name and/or Brenda Barrett's name right away the way they would Luke & Laura or Erica Kane).

Of course, being in one of Prince's music videos (which led to her being in one People's Most Beautiful People issues--not to mention the fact that she and Prince have been friends for years), hosting the show In Concert, and being in the film The Rock while she was still on GH probably helped her get more mainstream press than she otherwise would have got, too.

Not sure how that relates to her being compared to J-Lo, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The Soapnet marathon made me appreciate Vanessa/Brenda all over again.

While not the best actress, there was a great charisma about her in the 90's and she had such wonderful chemistry with the co-stars she interacted most with. It's also very rare that such a peripheral character becomes so popular and helps partly define a particular era of a show.

It's a shame that Marcil seems to have lost the innate charm she had in the 90's. While the writing sucked for her last stint, I didn't think she even tried to elevate the material, she was clearly there for a quick buck.

• Members

VM/Brenda is overhyped just like JLo. She's not as annoying or fake as JLo (I really can't stand JLo in any capacity), but I don't care for Vanessa. I never got behind Sonny/Brenda. Sonny sucks the life out of everyone he hooks up with and I'm not a big Brenda fan to begin with.

Archived