What words are overused/misused in the soap fanbase?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Legacy character" is a big pet peeve of mine.

Not because it's constantly mis-used (though I don't understand how anyone under the age of ten can be a legacy character in their own right; member of a legacy family, of course, but please!), but because it's constantly over-used.

• Members

This was going to be my choice. Also, "pod person" or "out of character." Just because a character makes a choice a viewer disagrees with, and just because a character may make different choices than they did earlier, doesn't necessarily make it out of character.

• Members

I think it is over used (Starr and Laura had a scene, look at this propping!) but for some characters it really is the best word to describe whats happening (Sabrina on GH, who has literally every single character shes had a scene with sing her praises)

• Members
IDA. Sometimes a character will do something which is completely contradictaroy to the character's history, values and their core. If there is a valid reason given to explain what would drive them to act in a certain way, then I think that's fairly acceptable but when there isn't and the character "acts out of character" for the sake of the plot, that's when I feel the term is value. Good writing will provide a justification such that even if the audience disagrees, they can understand where the character is coming from

• Members

I agree. Also, assuming that the term OOC/pod is used only when a viewer disagrees with a character's actions is stereotyping. I might actually like what a character has chosen to do, but know the character well enough to know that it's out of character for them to be making that choice, lol. For example, when Sami was about to set Elvis on fire back in 2007 because she was tired of him tormenting her and her family, I felt that it was out of character for her. She was a manipulative schemer, yes, but not a murderer. I agreed with her choice though and was sad when she slipped back into character and didn't actually go through with it.

Back to the "real fan" thing, I also hate the use of "shipper fan" or similar when used in the context of "you're just a shipper fan so you're not a real fan." I've rooted for many couples in my 4 decades of soap watching, some more than others and some to the extent that many would label me just a shipper fan, but I'd like to think that the same 4 decades of soap watching kind of prooves that I actually like soaps. Couples come and go, but it's the overall quality of the show that makes me tune in (GH right now) or tune out (Days right now).

Archived