ALL: How would you give a cancelled soap the PP treatment?

• Members

Simply put, now that we've gotten a feel on how AMC and OLTL will return to us, I wonder...how would you bring back another cancelled soap in a similar fashion? Whether it be recently-cancelled legends like Guiding Light and As the World Turns, short-lived cult faves like The City and Sunset Beach, or long-ago classics like Love of Life and The Secret Storm, what characters would you bring back, what new characters would you create, what types of stories would you tell, and what other changes would you make (or not make)?

Remember to take into consideration the reality of the situation. You can't have a 30-person cast (20 people on contract, at the most). Also, accept the fact that some stars you'd want to return probably would not come back. You want to resurrect The Doctors? Fine. But Alec Baldwin isn't going to be on it.

This might belong on the cancelled soaps board, so if it does, please feel free to move it there.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For ATWT & GL, I'd somewhat do it like I've done my blogs on here.

Bring back vets on As the World Turns that I'd think would be willing to come back (i.e. Hays, Hastings, Fulton, Zenk, West, Byrne, Menighan-Hensley, Hensley, Dolan, Holmes, Conn-Peck, Widdoes ) and beg back vets that have moved on/retired (i.e. Hubbard, Bryggman, and Park) then round out the cast with 8 to 10 younger cast members and intertwine them with the older cast members like World Turns use to do.

For Guiding Light, I'd focus on the heavily on Bauers (Michelle, Danny, Ed, Rick, and their kids). Then have some Spauldings (Phillip, Beth, Lizzie, James, Alex), and have some Lewis/Shayne/Chamberlains/Coopers, etc. on the show (Vanessa, Bill, Billy, Reva, etc). Again, I'd just model stories after the ones I'm doing on my blog (when I get a chance to work on it)

For a soap like Search for Tomorrow (and what I've read/seen), I'd reach out to Lisa Peluso and Marcia McCabe and bring them back as the two central pillars to the show--seeing as they are the longest running members of the cast that are either still alive or character still alive. I'd recast Patti and make her the new "Jo." Bring back the McCleary Brothers even though they were loathed by many fans in the final years (from what I've read) for eating the show, and for younger, put the focus on Suzi's son & a potential son for Wendy, thus reigniting the clash between the Wilkins and Gardners. With SEARCH (b/c it's been for so long), as long as some of the long running character come back, the cast here can be overhauled with newbies and new families as long as it stays true to SEARCH.

Another World (IMO) would be the hardest to get back on track. It can be done b/c there is a plethora of characters from the Cory and Matthews/Frame clans that could be brought back, but IDK if Vicky Wyndham, Tom Eplin, or Jensen Buchanan (despite how many of you feel about her Vicky) would do the reboot as from what I've read, they don't act much anymore. Those three played some of AW's most popular characters, and their absence would be felt. I could see Stephen Schnetzer, Anna Stuart, Judi Evans, and Linda Dano signing on, and they'd bring familiarity to the show.

I said this a couple of days ago but a show like Edge of Night can either do a modern reboot with a young Mike Karr, a reboot with Laurie's son/Mike's grandson being at the center of the show, or just a whole new show. The same can be applied with The Doctors, Loving/The City, Sunset Beach, Santa Barbara, Generations, Capitol (which like EON was before it's time, now it'd flourish with today's audience), and Ryan's Hope too.

Cancelled soaps that have been gone WAY longer (i.e. LIAMST, Love of Life, Where the Heart is, Somerset, etc), I think they can either just have the show's original name with a bunch of new characters or do a modern reboot. Continuations would be hard b/c many of them have been of the air for 40+ years.

• Members

I, of course, would love to see ATWT come back. My characters:

1. Bob Hughes

2. Kim Hughes

3. Chris Hughes

4. Christina Hughes (Don Hughes's daughter)

5. Casey Hughes

6. Lisa Grimaldi

7. Susan Stewart

8. Emily Stewart

9. Alison Stewart

10. Greg Ward (Annie Stewart's son)

11. Bonnie McKechnie

12. Isaac Jenkins

13. Holden Snyder

14. Lily Snyder

15. Lucinda Walsh

16. Aaron Snyder

17. Jade Taylor

18. John Dixon

19. Barbara Ryan

20. Luke Snyder

21. Emma Snyder **recurring

22. Jessica Griffin **recurring

24. Ethan Snyder **recurring (approx. 15-16 years old)

The series would pick up in the present day, approximately two and a half years since we last visited Oakdale. We'd learn what's happened to characters who won't be on the new show. Jack and Carly have taken their kids and moved to Montana; Lily and Holden's daughters have gone away to college; Tom and Margo are traveling around the world; Katie has gone to live with Lyla; Craig and Sierra have reconciled and live together out of town; Paul cheated on Emily with Meg, and they left town together; and Dusty has left Oakdale with Janet and Liberty to raise their children.

For the characters left over, the major storylines would be the genesis of a love quad between Aaron, Jade, Allison, and Casey; a budding relationship between Greg Ward and Luke Snyder, who's just returned from California after finding Noah in bed with a woman; a power struggle at the hospital between doctors Chris and Christina Hughes; and John Dixon's inability to adjust to being retired. Meanwhile, Christina and Holden are a couple, much to Lily's chagrin, whilst Isaac and Bonnie attempt to reconcile their failed marriage.

• Members

^

For me, 20 characters is too small. I'm in the minority but I don't mind a bloated cast IF everyone has a story (either lead or supporting). Yes, I realize it's a reboot, and fund might be low; however, I'd eventually want at least 35-40 strong characters either contract or recurring to be the center of World Turns and Guiding Light like they have on British soaps. But that's me. . .wink.png

• Members

I would do a re-imagining of As the World Turns in present day using the original characters.

Character List:

1. Pa Hughes

2. Chris Hughes

3. Nancy Hughes

4. Don Hughes - 18 - Popular and promiscuous, yet studious. In his final year of high school.

5. Penny Hughes - 17 - Queen Bee of her grade. Best friends with Ellen.

6. Susan Hughes - 14 - First year of high school. Perfectionist and Nancy's favourite, much to the chagrin of Penny.

7. Bobby Hughes - 10

8. Edith Hughes - After Ma Hughes' death kept her family at a distance. However, remains a confidante to Penny. Secrerary of Dr. Doug Cassen. Becomes close to Thelma.

9. Judge James Lowell

10. Jim Lowell

11. Claire Lowell - Unaware of Jim's cheating. Clashes with James due to her liberal views.

12. Ellen Lowell - Penny's best friend. Turns out to be a lesbian.

13. Thelma Turner (Black) - Secretary at Lowell Law Firm. Having an affair with Jim due to seeing dollar signs, but he won't commit. Becomes a close friend of Edith.

14. Janice Turner (Black) - Daughter of Thelma. In college at Oakdale U, dating Jeff Baker.

15. Jeff Baker (Black) - A rebellious college student. His parents, as the richest / most prestigious family in town next to the Lowell's, throw all material possessions at him instead of love and affection. Father is chief of staff at Oakdale Memorial. Dating Janice.

16. Dr. Doug Cassen (Amer-asian) - Has a crush on Edith Hughes. Eventually reveal an intense friction with his mother.

17. 'Ste' - Penny would fall into a drug addiction due to her stuggling relationship with Nancy. Ste would be her drug dealer, who would also turn out to be Claire's ne'er do well brother, who Claire calls for help when she murders Jim in cold blood.

18 & 19. Jeff's parents. His mother comes from pure wealth. Queen of the socialites in Oakdale.

20. Oft mentioned, but mostly unseen third partner in Lowell Law Firm. Initially used to innocently make Chris feel small at work. Confidante of James.

Claire and Ste's mother - Comes on the show much later due to Jim's death. A raw air of sophistication. Disowned Ste, but coddles Claire. When Edith gets involved with Jim, Edith makes a strong enemy out of her. Edith and Claire soon come to blows over Doug Cassen as well. The huge classic rivalry of the show akin to Dorian / Viki, Katherine / Jill and Rachel / Alice. With Jeff's mother's help, will try to push Ellen and Jeff together.

Chris, unable to become a partner in the law firm, is jealous of best friend Jim, who he knows only went into the career through James' forced hand.

Susan is the do gooder of the family. When she dies hitting her head on the diving board at swim practice, then drowns in the pool, Nancy becomes dead to the world. Frigid to Chris, verbally abusive to Penny. Chris and Thelma bond very closely, Thelma falls in love with him, but when all is said and done, Chris turns her away, leaving a lonely James to convince Thelma to elope!

Jeff and Janice, never truly in love, start to grow apart. Janice is aroused by the younger Don's very clear and motivated attraction to her, but constantly turns him away due to her convictions and beliefs that Don will just use her for sex. Ellen uses Jeff as a distraction from her feelings for Penny. Jeff realizes Ellen's strife and they form a mutual respect for the other.

Pa does his best to keep Bobby grounded throughout all the turmoil and hardships in the Hughes family.

--

There would be many complex relationships on the show. The paternal / maternal relationships with their children (Nancy / Penny, Pa / Bobby, James / Jim, Thelma / Janice, Jeff / his parents) would be the focal point of the show. I added a lot of diversity to the cast and kept some story points like the deaths of Susan and Jim, but changed them for better story purposes, IMO. Sorry it's a bit messy, though.

• Members

For Guiding Light I would probably do an AMC sort of thing to completely reinvent the show. It was so bad by the end that you can't even dare keep many of those vets, at least not on contract - the visual and feel of it just looks bad to me. It stinks of Peapack. I'd dump most of the Ellen Wheeler cast and start the Agnes way, with a lot of young people from the new generation, most of whom we haven't seen SORASed before. And you'd have some elders as tentpole characters for the youth as well as having story, and then you'd have some younger adults you can directly build more story around from the start, like Michelle.

So for the older generation you'd have, let's say:

• Josh and Reva
  • Phillip and Beth - because GA is great and Beth Chamberlin gained my respect over the years, and deserves a good show and consistent character
  • Ed and Holly
  • Nola Reardon Chamberlain - running a restaurant again, everyone's favorite kooky surrogate aunt, possibly remarried to Quint
  • Blake Thorpe Marler - whose relationship with ol' rarely-seen Frank is on the rocks, and who may have a younger man she is carrying on a scandalous secret affair with.
  • Michelle Bauer (played once again by Rachel Miner) who is now widowed thanks to Danny Santos's mob ties, young single mom to two kids. A great deal of launch story focuses on her and her kids, trying to build a new life alongside Grandpa Ed in the Bauer house.

Then, for the youth set, you have varying ages and types, obviously, and there's so many [!@#$%^&*] kids on GL that I can only mention the first to come into my head off the cuff:

• Jason and Kevin Marler, Blake and Ross's twin sons. College aged. Made identical instead of fraternal through ridiculous soap storytelling magic (just go with it!) for the purposes of a batshit story I have held onto for years. One good, one not so good. One actor.
  • Zach Spaulding, Phillip and Harley's kid. High school. Not big on Beth.
  • Emma Spaulding, Phillip and Olivia's daughter. Raised by Olivia and Natalia, neither of whom I am in any rush to see again at the moment. High school.
  • Leah Bauer, biracial daughter of Rick and Mel. College.
  • R.J. Winslow OR Peter Reardon, the 'good' spawn of Roger Thorpe to counterbalance the web of craziness that are Blake's sons, likely college-aged. With Peter there is an obvious direct link to Nola, or with R.J. you can play the poor little rich boy angle - his mother was a wild flake who raised him in a fallen tropical kingdom for years.
  • Robbie Santos, last seen blond and blue-eyed but who knows. May have been compelled to take back his mother's maiden name against his wishes after the tragedy of Danny's death. High schooler. His sister, Hope, is a preteen.
  • More new kids, possibly some ones from existing families. Maybe Maureen Reardon but really, there just need to be new people. I don't think using any more of the Boudreaux is a good idea, as I can only remember all Remy's lame stories in Peapack. I don't know if there's any way to bring back the Grants. Just young, hot, diverse people.

I'm not averse to seeing other vets and families over time - Quint, other Reardons, Rick, Mel, even drunk Olivia, some of the Coopers, etc. but I don't think there is any benefit to making this show get too top-heavy or even remotely resemble Wheeler's GL out of the gate. Eventually some of those kids like Leah or Emma are going to need to have their parents in story, but not right away. Nope. Nope nope nope nope. GL has been remade and reconceived at least a dozen times since the end of the '30s. It needs to be again.

I also wouldn't mind any link possible to the original premise with Reverend Rutledge, which is something Wheeler was smart to utilize, though she did it wrong. Maybe just a character from the Rutledge family somewhere. Or a radio station on the canvas. Or even a teen story where someone keeps trying to figure out who keeps lighting the lamp.

When I was thinking more conservatively about a revamp a few years ago I considered bringing back Marah as well as Vicky Spaulding, but now I'm not sure they skew new or young enough.

I'm also on the fence about using Jonathan or Gina Tognoni's Dinah in the core cast, because both are great characters even if I was sick of Tom Pelphrey by the end. A little time goes a long way and there is no denying he is a draw. But he screams Ellen Wheeler.

• Members

See, one thing I appreciate about what PP is doing with both AMC and OLTL is that they are truly, truly downsizing. Like...downsizing in a way that I always wanted ABC to do when they had the chance to. Cutting the shows in half and having a much smaller cast means tighter storylines and a more focused...focus. I think especially with the P&G soaps, which existed for such a long time as slow-moving, very tightly knit shows, this would be sort of a "back to basics" concept. ATWT couldn't handle a cast of 30 contract players (though the Marland era may have been different, I'm not too familiar with it) in its last ten years, even with an hour show, but to each his own.

I think the general idea for any show being revived in this way is being able to find the right balance of "old" and "new," which is still hard to say because we don't know if AMC and OLTL have found the "right" balance yet. Even long-gone soaps could fit into this formula. The Secret Storm, in its peak years, was primarily about the Ames family. In the past almost-40 years, there have been several more generations of Ameses, and in 2013, we can pick up with the current state of the family. There wouldn't have to be constant call-backs to the original series for the sake of continuity. Just establish that this Ames family is the same Ames family from the old show, and move on from there. Not that there's a huge hankering for a Secret Storm revival, but I'm just saying.

• Members

I would prefer a cast of like 12 regulars kind of like a primetime soap, with other former regulars in the recurring role, with storylines WAY raunchier than what was allowed on daytime or network TV. As for the long term vets, I would limit it to 1 or 2 of the regulars, BUT they would be frontburner.

• Members

I agree that AW would be the hardest to probably resurrect because it has been gone so long, but only IF you tried to bring back original members.

I'd focus on it being purely a reboot and go for the new generation of characters:

Maggie Cory (Sandy and Cecile)

Ali Cory (Amanda and Sam)

Matt and Lila's child

Dante Carlino (Paulina and Joe)

Carl and Rachel's twins

Steven and Kirkland (Jamie and Vicky, Grant and Vicky)

I'd probably add some new characters that are children/grandchildren of Peter Love, a child or two of Chris Madison and Toni Burrell, and a child of Tyrone Montgomery and Marley Hudson.

There could be a backstory that makes the Cory offspring and Love offspring rivals due to something that happened with the older generation during the time the show has been off the air.

This way it could be a fresh show without trying to incorporate former leads and fans of AW could still learn what has been happening with the older generation characters. Maybe even guest stints as said before from any of the parents/grandparents: Anna Stuart, Ellen Wheeler, Judi Evans, Sandra Ferguson, etc.

• Members

I was thinking something similar (though not "WAY raunchier" tongue.png )... with Agnes Nixon's blessing and newfound Prospect Park connection, I would relaunch her Loving and The City as companion shows. Loving would have a dark, gothic, emo vibe, Corinth perpetually under a cloud, the cast primarily consisting of students at Alden University (plenty of drinking, drugging, sexing, college angsty stuff, with of course your straight edges in the mix). At least one or two of the students would be Aldens and maybe an alcoholic Cooper lords over a cobwebbed Alden mansion that he swiped back from Deborah. A recurring theme would be the stigma and childhood trauma of the Corinth serial murders, particularly for AU students who grew up in Corinth. Their idea of tradition is smoking pot and doing lines off of Gwyn Alden's tombstone which has been defaced and replaced numerous times. Depending on the timeline, maybe one or two of the students would be crossed over from Pine Valley and/or Llanview for broader appeal.

The City would be reminiscent of the original more in terms of concept than attachment to former characters. A mixed bag of characters in Manhattan (not just SoHo this time, we're spreading out to more affordable and modern 'hoods for the youth) coming together to form a family. Carla Soleito (in the Sydney/Tracy role) has a spoiled mob princess/prince of her own, and there is a nice cultural mix of characters on the canvas. As in my hypothetical Loving reboot, we could have some Pine Valley/Llanview kids moving to the big city post high school graduation.

• Members

YES, I couldn't remember if it was you or EricMontreal who came up with the "haunted Alden mansion" idea for a new Loving, with spaced out collegians getting their kicks telling ghost stories about the murders.

Your GL vision actually prompted my last post. I think that would be the best way to bring the show back, especially the idea of tying it back to the original Rutledge era.

• Members

As The World Turns

Kim

Bob

Barbara

Lisa

Susan

Lucinda

John

Andy

Paul

Emily

Lily

Holden

Connor

Ellen

Betsy

Craig

Sierra

Emma

Adam

Luke

Reid(didnt die....Luke fell asleep at the hospital and dreamed the whole thing...lol)

Tom

Margo

Archived