I would do a re-imagining of As the World Turns in present day using the original characters.
1. Pa Hughes
2. Chris Hughes
3. Nancy Hughes
4. Don Hughes - 18 - Popular and promiscuous, yet studious. In his final year of high school.
5. Penny Hughes - 17 - Queen Bee of her grade. Best friends with Ellen.
6. Susan Hughes - 14 - First year of high school. Perfectionist and Nancy's favourite, much to the chagrin of Penny.
7. Bobby Hughes - 10
8. Edith Hughes - After Ma Hughes' death kept her family at a distance. However, remains a confidante to Penny. Secrerary of Dr. Doug Cassen. Becomes close to Thelma.
9. Judge James Lowell
10. Jim Lowell
11. Claire Lowell - Unaware of Jim's cheating. Clashes with James due to her liberal views.
12. Ellen Lowell - Penny's best friend. Turns out to be a lesbian.
13. Thelma Turner (Black) - Secretary at Lowell Law Firm. Having an affair with Jim due to seeing dollar signs, but he won't commit. Becomes a close friend of Edith.
14. Janice Turner (Black) - Daughter of Thelma. In college at Oakdale U, dating Jeff Baker.
15. Jeff Baker (Black) - A rebellious college student. His parents, as the richest / most prestigious family in town next to the Lowell's, throw all material possessions at him instead of love and affection. Father is chief of staff at Oakdale Memorial. Dating Janice.
16. Dr. Doug Cassen (Amer-asian) - Has a crush on Edith Hughes. Eventually reveal an intense friction with his mother.
17. 'Ste' - Penny would fall into a drug addiction due to her stuggling relationship with Nancy. Ste would be her drug dealer, who would also turn out to be Claire's ne'er do well brother, who Claire calls for help when she murders Jim in cold blood.
18 & 19. Jeff's parents. His mother comes from pure wealth. Queen of the socialites in Oakdale.
20. Oft mentioned, but mostly unseen third partner in Lowell Law Firm. Initially used to innocently make Chris feel small at work. Confidante of James.
Claire and Ste's mother - Comes on the show much later due to Jim's death. A raw air of sophistication. Disowned Ste, but coddles Claire. When Edith gets involved with Jim, Edith makes a strong enemy out of her. Edith and Claire soon come to blows over Doug Cassen as well. The huge classic rivalry of the show akin to Dorian / Viki, Katherine / Jill and Rachel / Alice. With Jeff's mother's help, will try to push Ellen and Jeff together.
Chris, unable to become a partner in the law firm, is jealous of best friend Jim, who he knows only went into the career through James' forced hand.
Susan is the do gooder of the family. When she dies hitting her head on the diving board at swim practice, then drowns in the pool, Nancy becomes dead to the world. Frigid to Chris, verbally abusive to Penny. Chris and Thelma bond very closely, Thelma falls in love with him, but when all is said and done, Chris turns her away, leaving a lonely James to convince Thelma to elope!
Jeff and Janice, never truly in love, start to grow apart. Janice is aroused by the younger Don's very clear and motivated attraction to her, but constantly turns him away due to her convictions and beliefs that Don will just use her for sex. Ellen uses Jeff as a distraction from her feelings for Penny. Jeff realizes Ellen's strife and they form a mutual respect for the other.
Pa does his best to keep Bobby grounded throughout all the turmoil and hardships in the Hughes family.
There would be many complex relationships on the show. The paternal / maternal relationships with their children (Nancy / Penny, Pa / Bobby, James / Jim, Thelma / Janice, Jeff / his parents) would be the focal point of the show. I added a lot of diversity to the cast and kept some story points like the deaths of Susan and Jim, but changed them for better story purposes, IMO. Sorry it's a bit messy, though.
Edited by Bright Eyes, 03 March 2013 - 03:27 PM.