Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Generic websoap thread

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 54,119 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

I'm sure there's another one but I don't know where it is. If someone wants to find it and shut this down, be my guest.

I was mostly just starting this to link to some of these interviews, with some former soap names, including Lauren B. Martin, Colleen Zenk, Kevin Spirtas (still looks pretty good), HBS (I guess she's not former now), etc. 

Signy Coleman is having all kinds of hair/makeup/cheek/lip issues. Or maybe I just haven't seen her in a long time.

#2 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,622 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:39 AM

I'm curious if anyone has an opinion about any of these websoaps being better than others?  I have tried repeatedly to get into a number--and after a few episodes I almost always realize that I shouldn't have to work so hard to enjoy what I'm watching...

#3 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 54,119 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:43 AM

I've tried a few times. I always mean to try again. To be honest I mostly just enjoy Vee's trash talking of Crystal Chappell.

#4 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,622 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:06 AM

I've tried a few times. I always mean to try again. To be honest I mostly just enjoy Vee's trash talking of Crystal Chappell.

:D  Ha, me too, on all accounts.  I have found some web comedies and dramas that I've really enjoyed--but, while some of them are basically serials (despite finding a lot of it kinda pretentious, down to quoting reviews claiming they're a "gay Girls," I do like The Outs for example), but I've not been able to get into any of the self described "websoaps."  Part of it is down to, though they've gotten better, they still tend to have ridiculously short episodes.  To be fair, the last one I seriously tried was Gotham, a while back (the main thing I remember is the credits seemed longer than the show, and the font for the title looked like it should be called Goldrush instead.)

#5 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,692 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:34 AM

Venice season one was stellar. I like Squaresville & find it entertaining but one of my best friends is the lead, so... The Bay was the most promising. And the biggest disappointment. Gotham & Steamboat make the final year of GL look like a huge studio movie. I loved the bannen way.

#6 KMan101

KMan101

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,195 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:23 AM

I watched S1 of Venice and wouldn't call it stellar myself lol. It wasn't bad. I liked how it looked. It did come off as mostly professional.

I agree about The Bay. Disappointed for sure.

I've tried to get into a few but IDK, just never really could.

DeVanity seems like camp fun. I've watched a couple of Season 1 episodes and it actually is the only one that makes me really want to see more.

And with websoaps I think you kinda just have to appreciate they are trying and look past some writing and acting issues. Let's be honest, they have a lot of green actors.

But I wish them all well because I think there's a format for it.

Edited by KMan101, 03 March 2013 - 06:24 AM.

#7 Nothin'ButAttitude

Nothin'ButAttitude

If only Ryan Guzman would allow me to wash my clothes [and tongu

• Members
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

The only websoap I've become addicted too (and still remain) is Anacostia. I like to refer to it as the "black" Knots Landing. Yes, the stories are over the top and the actors are green, but it is good soap. Plus, they managed to convince Martha Byrne to join their cast, so. . . 

Season Three Season Finale

#8 DramatistDreamer

DramatistDreamer

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Although I am wondering how many different subscriptions people will tolerate, this is an interesting article in the New York Times. 

In the video segment both All My Children and One Life To Live are mentioned:

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

Edited by DramatistDreamer, 05 March 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#9 allmc2008

allmc2008

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

First, What is a "Green Actor"

Second, I define soaps as "Serialized Drama that runs on a daily or bi-dialy bases (Basically, 2-5+ episodes a week) for most of the year". I will CALL Dallas and Revenge a Soap. But they are not!!! A lot of prime time has soapy elements now but far from being a soap. Also, with soaps, there needs to be more than one family. Primetime soaps will SOMETIMES have more than one family but they are usually recurring.

#10 Nothin'ButAttitude

Nothin'ButAttitude

If only Ryan Guzman would allow me to wash my clothes [and tongu

• Members
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

For someone to be "green" in anything means not experienced enough in their field, hence green actors. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users