DAYS: March Discussion Thread

• Members

You know, as bad as a lot of Higley's stuff was, I do kinda miss her DAYS sometimes, purely in a "so bad it's good" kind of way. It was so plot-driven and campy and cheap and unintentionally hilarious you just sometimes couldn't take your eyes off the screen.

Kind of like a car wreck in slow motion :)

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's sort of what really bugged me. When MarDar came in, they insisted that their show would be "lighter", and sure it was, but in the wrong way.

I do think there is some humour on DAYS currently but...it's not the same.

I showed one of my non-soap-watching friends the episode of Parker's baptism, and was told at the end "So THAT'S why you watch soaps! I can dig this!", I don't think she'd ever be able to sit through an episode of the show right now. And for exactly the reason you mentioned.

Having said this, DAYS hasn't been this solid in a long time.

• Members
No, it is done to hurt will. He's blackmailing him to take his child that he wants from him so that nick can have what he wants. Sure, he thinks what he's doing is best, but that's what makes him such a compelling villain. Again, much like the villains on days in the 90s. He's doing what he needs to do to get what he wants for what he believes to be a good reason, to hell with who he has to hurt in the process.

• Members

Chloe being a calculating bitch is nothing new - Hogan Sheffer gave her that facet in 2008 or so. Chloe being cruel is new though. I'd like to think its the effect on her psyche of being forced into prostitution. The show never dealth with that, because Higley was writing at the time - 'nuff said. I'd like to think there is now a river of damage, hurt and rage bottled up in Chloe because of it, battling to get out. Abby pushed and Chloe unleashed. I hope the show explores that angle, since it never did before and logically I can't see how it could magically go away.

As for Abby - she was subdued by Chloe. Nothing Chloe said wasn't true - heck most of us have written that on these boards what she said. Sometimes the truth is so painful, especially when its so obvious and the recipient is so unaware, that it subdues one verbally/puts them on the defensive. I thought it was well played, acted and written.

Who wrote those scenes? Salmons or Ford? I watched them more than once.

• Members

Basically the Quatermaines are trying to locate a missing recipe for relish. Which has resulted in "relish" being said on the show as often as "cameo" was said on Days, if not more.

• Members

I don't watch GH, but between this, vampires and the Ian Buchannan fake mask thing, I think I am understanding why so many people who loved Days under JER now love GH and are bored with DOOL. Of course since I am no expert on GH, I may be speaking out of turn.

• Members

Totally. Although GH is so disjointed, it was more frustrating to watch than JER Days. The irony for me is that I prefer my GH to be more like DAYS is currently (a la Labine), and my DAYS to be more like my GH (a la JER (version 1, at least). But such is life, I suppose. You demand what you were raised on. I don't think I'd want DAYS to get too crazy though, no matter what happens.

THANK YOU. I saw the beginning of that whole thing, but got bored pretty quickly. Yeah, it seemed really...goofy. Though the cameo was totally not intentional, which somehow makes it better. I'm not sure how though. hahah.

• Members

I grew up on JER version 1 and that's what got me hooked on soaps. But my sensibilities and tastes have evolved over the years, and I find that style of show unappealing now. The current incarnation of DAYS really appeals to me now (although I am sure I would have found it boring as a teen).

Archived