Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Couples that survived/were destroyed by recasts

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 y&r_fan

y&r_fan

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

A soap couple often tanks when one half is recast. Which couples do you think were tanked by recasts and which ones survived?

My selections:

Y&R

Survived:
John and Jill
Katherine and Jill
Victor and Ashley
John and Gloria

Tanked:
Cole and Ashley
Billy and Mackenzie
J.T. and Mackenzie
J.T. and Colleen
Adrian and Colleen

B&B

Survived:
Thorne and Macy
Rick and Amber

Tanked:
Oscar and Bridget

#2 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,347 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

No soap couple survived as many recasts as ATWT's Tom and Margo. They were popular with three very different sets of actors (Justin Deas/Margaret Colin, Gregg Marx/Hillary Bailey Smith, Scott Holmes/Ellen Dolan).

#3 alexisfan07

alexisfan07

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 9,584 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:59 AM

AMC's JR and Babe were DOA when what's her face took over. Their anti-chemistry was so strong that they killed her off, a decision they never got to reverse with the original PP mess even though it was an option.

#4 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,347 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

I don't know if I'd say Thorne and Macy survived. They were only together briefly during Harmon's tenure, and that was mostly when he was being pushed toward Brooke.

Or do you mean from Norcross to Trachta? Did Norcross have any story with Bobbie Eakes?

#5 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 41,151 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:14 AM

AMC's JR and Babe were DOA when what's her face took over. Their anti-chemistry was so strong that they killed her off, a decision they never got to reverse with the original PP mess even though it was an option.

I thought JY and AB worked much better than AH ever did. I hated JR and Babe before but I was really digging them towards the end when AB was around

#6 SoapDope

SoapDope

Contract

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

I don't know if I'd say Thorne and Macy survived. They were only together briefly during Harmon's tenure, and that was mostly when he was being pushed toward Brooke.

Or do you mean from Norcross to Trachta? Did Norcross have any story with Bobbie Eakes?

I think when Thorne first met Macy it was Norcross in the role. When they hooked up at the fashion show on the ship it was Trachta playing the part.

#7 ghfan89

ghfan89

Recurring

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

Survived:
Tom and Margo - ATWT

Tanked:
Mike and Erica - AMC
Joe and Kelly - Santa Barbara
AJ and Carly - GH
Jack and Jennifer - DOOL
Steve and Betsy - ATWT

#8 Vee

Vee

A Chinchilla Of Doubt

• Members
  • 11,893 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

Kevin and Kelly on OLTL actually did a reverse fail. They were absolutely godawful with original portrayers Tim Gibbs and Gina Tognoni, they were a couple hated by all. But when the show brought them back and dug into their dysfunction with Dan Gauthier and Heather Tom, they became IMO something pretty close to a tortured supercouple.

#9 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 41,151 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

I thought Kevin and Kelly were awful no matter who played them

#10 Vee

Vee

A Chinchilla Of Doubt

• Members
  • 11,893 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

I thought Kevin and Kelly were awful no matter who played them

Yeah, but you're drunk.

#11 Dr Neil Curtis

Dr Neil Curtis

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

Tanked
Days-Roman and Marlena

#12 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

Black in the Day Soapy Goodness

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

GH's Nik & Gia own the title of being destroyed by recasts (or in Nik's case, reprisal of role by the original actor), though Zander and bootleg Emily come pretty damn close to snatching that title from them.

#13 Sindacco

Sindacco

Contract

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Tanked

Jack and Jennifer (DAYS)

#14 Ann_SS

Ann_SS

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Survived

J.T. and ALColleen/Y&R - They would have been fine if they had been put back together not long after Colleen cheated and TS had not been cast as Colleen

Kevin and Kelly/OLTL - Dan Gauthier and Heather Tom version. They were pretty hot. I have never forgotten their steamy shower sex scene.

Tom and Margo/ATWT - I agree that the recasts worked.

Blake and Ross/GL -  I was surprised how much I grew to like Liz Kiefer as Blake.

Tanked

Zander and Emily/GH - Thanks to Natalia Livingston taking over the role.

Jack and Jennifer/Days - Just horrible

#15 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 41,151 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Tanked
Lucky and Liz - JY
PC's Joe and Karen
Days Austin and Carrie. Some can argue they survived but they lost their spark when he was recasted. Ultimately they stopped writing them as each other's OTP and had her leave with Mike, which I'm not sure would have been done had the role not been recast
OLTL - Kevin and Cassie
John and Marty

Survived
Lucky and Liz - GV. The writing did them no favors but the actors had chemistry and made the couple worth rooting for.
Sonny and Carly - TB
Todd and Tea - TSJ. He slipped into the role perfectly when they were paired up and oozed of chemistry even more so than when RH played Todd opposite her

#16 carolineg

carolineg

Recurring

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

The first couple that popped into my head was Sonny and Carly.  I hate Sonny and Carly in general, but I thought TB had good chemistry with MB.  Probably the best romantic chemistry out of all four Carlys.TB has/had a softness that no other Carly possessed. They were still a viable couple until the Bullet of Love and the Lorenzo nonsense.  With LW, Carson were DOA.

Nik and Gia were still good for me with Coltin Scott (or whatever the hell his name is). I think I might like him and MR better than TC and MR. The random Gia recast killed them though. I will never get what they were thinking with that girl (no idea what her name is).  She was so wrong for the part.  It was like they just cast the first black girl they saw (even though MR isn't African American at all, Gia was)

I thought Zander and Emily lost a lot of their sparkle with NL, but they had as much chemistry as Nik and Emily, so it's odd they were thrown under the bus so quickly.  GH was always so set on Nem as a fairytale romance (except when they pushed that Soily mess) and they never held my attention.  They were so zzzzzzzworthy.  I guess it was better with NL in the role because Soily and Nem would have been even worse (if you can imagine) with AT still playing Emily.

JY killed LL2 for me, probably forever.  GV and even JJ couldn't ever recapture the original magic.

I thought Carrie and Austin remained a good couple when AP took over.  AP has a lot of faults, but he had good chemistry with CC.  I honestly missed AP as Austin this time around.  PM lost a lot of his charm and looked so old.

I thought MM and BB did a good job with Shawn and Belle, not as appealing as KS and JC, but definitely adequate.  I also thought the Real World guy who played Phillip (Kyle Brandt?) and JkJ had really good chemistry with MM.   GH should pick up Martha Madison to play Lulu, honestly.  She does seem a lot older than JMB, though.

Bo and Billie were painful without RKK and LR.  I am one of the few who actually liked Krista Allen, but she had no chemistry with PR at all.   Julie Pinson was decent though, but Bo/Billie/notdeadbabyGeorgia-Chelsea was such a clusterfuck I can't imagine anyone rooting for Bo/Billie at that point.  PR and LR don't have a ton of chemistry either.  RKK really sparkled with LR.  Much more than he did with Kristian Alfonso.  Recasts of Billie/Bo really change the whole dynamic of the Bo/Hope/Billie triangle and made the only real option Bo and Hope.  I think of what could have been if RKK and LR had stayed on.

Jack and Jen were hit hard with recasts.  I thought Mark Valley was an adequate recast, but Stephanie Cameron and blonde Ken doll Jack Steve Wilder were some of the worst recasts of the 90's.

#17 JellicleCat

JellicleCat

Recurring

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Holden and Lily (ATWT) were never the same after Martha Byrne left and was replaced by Noelle Beck. Martha and Jon Hensley had amazing chemistry. Jon and Noelle - not so much.

Maybe not quite the subject of the thread, but a couple that never would have worked without the recast was Brooke and Thorne on B&B. KKL and Jeff Trachta's Thorne worked fine as good friends, but I don't think I would have bought them as a couple. KKL with Winsor Harmon's Thorne on the other hand.... HOT!

#18 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,737 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

^^^ Holden and Heather Rattray's Lily were pretty darn good together. 

#19 applcin

applcin

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Survived:

GL - Danny & Michelle (love em or hate em, the show kept them chugging along from Joie Lenz to Nancy St. Alban)

OLTL - Max & Gabrielle - I actually thought Nicholas Walker's chemistry with Fiona was better than JDP's
RH: Jillian & Frank - a case where the recast (Frank) actually made the chemistry better
GL - Phillip & Beth
OLTL - Cord & Tina ( the chemistry with K. Witter wasn't as hot as with A. Evans but they were still believable)

Destroyed:
RH - Joe & Siobhan - the originals were cute together. But then the show not only recast both but changed their personalities. Like Frank and Jill, the show kept the "star-crossed" thing going on for years during multiple recasts but the chemistry (or lack of) was always a crapshoot.
AW - Gary & Josie - Tim Gibbs and Amy Carlson had some spitfire to them. John Littlefield and Nadine S were bland...and then they got married in real life.

GL - Nick & Mindy
EON - Jodi & Preacher

Edited by applcin, 28 February 2013 - 11:44 PM.

#20 SFK

SFK

Just your average hot damn bam bam baby sex scorcher icon.

• Members
  • 18,302 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Dorian (Princi to Strasser) and Jason survived, for what their relationship was worth.

And while never romantically paired again, Fillion was the only Joey believably matched with Strasser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users