What Storyline Would You Use to Lure a New Viewer to a Soap?

• Members

Hello, all:

If you wanted to introduce a viewer to a soap, which (past or present) storyline(s) would you use to lure them over?

Furthermore, what is/was it about that/those storyline(s) that you'd swear would make them a believer in that soap?

(Past and present soaps, as well as telenovelas and international soaps, are welcome)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know the return of Jesse on AMC tuned be in! I think any popular return, weather the character is dead or not, and done correctly can bring in new viewers. I think GH missed out for not promoting the Hell out of GF returning! They could have done prime time promos with the ice princess stuff.

• Members

AMC: Janet From Another Planet arrives to take over her sister, Natalie's, life. From locking Natalie down a well to conceiving Amanda with Trevor, that storyline was soapy goodness at its finest (as well as one of the reasons why I got sucked into the show). Add the fact that Kate Collins knocked it out of the park and the open ending gave way to a successful recast (as well as my introduction to the equally great Robin Mattson) and you've got an engrossing storyline that'll make you want to stick around in Pine Valley past the storyline's end.

• Members

There has been a lot of people that were brought in thanks to Janet! I was born the week after Janet/Trevor married while Nat was still in the well so I don't remember a lot of what happened then.

My dad taped my mother when she went into labor at the hospital and AMC was playing on the TV across from her! I love watching the tape because you can see the old closing credits on the TV in the background.

The reason why the doctors weren't delivering me is another story. Just know I could have been a day older!

It brought me in granted AMC is in my blood (Read what I said to VirginiaHamilton above).

• Members

Being an NBC soap watcher VIA Great-Gran, I got hooked on others when we finally got Cable.

I got hooked on Y&R during the Alex Bladeson/Mari Jo Story and got hooked, not much of a watcher now, just for occassional returns like Phillip III return from the dead.

B&B got me hooked with Lauren crossover, I am a fan of crossovers/spin-offs

GL was during the blackout of 1993 and Monti Sharp

ATWT it was something with Lily and Andy Dixon and babyswitching and A stenbeck

OLTL was the Georgie Murder

AMC, Finola Hughes debut, and i seen bits and pieces of the Skye/Erica/Janet stuff

GH- Rosalind Cash Debut, may she rest in peace.

A good storyline or a known actor from another soap and/or another genre can reel in new viewers....and promos, especially at night.

• Members

Robin Mattson never receiving one single Emmy nomination during her entire six-and-a-half-year run on that show has to go down as the biggest daytime Emmy oversight ever. Hell, she should have won the Lead Actress prize for the amazing job she did in either 1994 or 1995. All My Children practically handed the store over to her back then.

• Members

Well going down the line and remembering stories that hooked me:

GL: The first soap to have me hooked and the story was Maureen's death and her aftermath. And Roger/Blake/Holly's family dynamic drew me in too. Chaotic yet good.

Y&R: Keesha's AIDS story

B&B: The Sheila saga

ATWT: Damien/Holden/Lily 1.0

AW: Iris shooting Carl (thanks to Evan Frame)

DAYS: I think the story was the coronation

OLTL: I think the beginnings of Jessica and Antonio I think. I saw them and rooted for them even though I liked Keri too. And I floved them till the end.

AMC: The Proteus story. Many people hated it but I loved it. Loved Vanessa Cortlandt too.

GH: GQ and Journey. Yes, I liked Journey and Kung Fu Barbie. Plus, she was my Alli Fowler, so. . . tongue.png And GQ was (and still is) my fave GH couple. D*mn Lulu's sleazy a** to h*ll for ruining them, and Guza for killing Georgie! jeal0002.gif

British Soaps

Eastenders: Who Killed Archie

Corrie: The Tram Crash/Anniversary episodes

Emmerdale: Around the time Tom Wylde was murdered

Going off what I had, some form of good murder mystery, or sweep stunts will bring in new viewers; I'm a firm believer too that stories that a pulled from the headlines that are scandalous gets people tuned in; however, endearing character during those stories is what's gonna keep them in the long haul. At least that's what happened with me. . .

Archived