AMC: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

WHY can't they just embrace them as continuing dramas? Why are we stuck on this fake badly acted sex scenes and women slapping each other? Why even move online if this is the crap they're projecting to a potential audience? It's just so stupid. I'm not even angry, I'm just...so confused. THESE SHOWS COULD BE GREAT, WHY WON'T THEY LET THEM BE GREAT????

• Members

It was an extremely tongue in cheek spot. I'm not sure what's so terrible about that.

There has been plenty of serious-minded promotion. A single cute online spot about their YT channel is not going to hurt that. And what's more, promoting the shows as super-serious adult dramas non-stop would not have done anything but make people roll their eyes when they tune in and find slightly higher-end, somewhat more adult soap operas. It would have been setting themselves up for ridicule and claims of being pretentious.

What they have done is promote the shows on a serious level pretty well IMO with both the major online and TV spots, and then still were able to have a little fun and laugh at themselves with a tiny online bit on their channel. I'm not seeing the problem. I loved it.

• Members

What are you talking about? No one said that. I just thought the ad was stupid and pandering to the LCD.

And I even found their "serious" promos middling and mediocre. These shows, along with their promotion, simply aren't of a quality that I find appealing or impressive. I'm not just going to bask in the glow of AMC and OLTL being back, that's stupid, I want excellence.

I know, I'm asking for too much.

(Do I just to add "IMO" to any of this?)

• Members

Oh, Darn, that is nonsense. You were gushing about those promos when they came out and I know because I was there. In bed.

I don't think the ad was pandering. I think it was just a bit of silly fun on their online channel which is not the main outlet for their programming. I thought it was cute and silly and it's obviously not part of the mainstream promotion. I don't see how it is a harbinger of dreadful promotion or bad product. It's just not that serious. (And I still don't know how or when you turned on the shows so fastwhen you seemed to be loving them for at least the first two weeks and we're now in...week 4, but whatever, whatever)

• Members

I was excited to have the shows back...sorry if that clouded my judgment literally minutes after seeing the first promos.

You're just twisting words tonight, it's fantastic. "Harbinger of dreadful promotion or bad product"? Not what I said (I think this is a sign that the promotion will get worse or that the product will be bad? I already think the product is pretty dreadful...AMC moreso than OLTL).

I was loving the shows? Are you serious? We've been arguing about them for a month! The hell...and I didn't turn on anything, turning implies I was 100% behind what these shows were delivering. You know that I wasn't so you can stop with that. I didn't think the first week of AMC was good, I still don't think it's good but I did say the production had improved ever so slightly recently. And I praised OLTL initially but like I told you, I have no incentive to watch (and yes, Todd/Victor's [who I know has left town] presence is a large part of why). They've yet to make me care.

• Members

Well, unless I am completely misunderstanding you seem to be suggesting that the promotion does nothing but appeal to the lowest common denominator and not strive for a better audience or a better soap. And if that is the case I just think that's a total misread of a silly one-off spot on the YouTube channel which is not indicative of the larger campaign.

The way I remember it, we argued about a few storylines here and there but I didn't get the impression that you had totally soured on the shows overall until...a week ago? I just think you're too hasty and you think I'm too blindly idealistic. Which is nothing new. But it's fine. We can settle this the way we settle all things: On Skype, slathered in vaseline, with metal sporks.

Archived