Characters That Were Re/Cast with Perfect Actor, But Fizzled or Flopped

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Scott Hoylrod as Paul Ryan. The story TPTB put out was that they couldn't write a darker Paul because of SH's boyish appeal. That seems redonkulous---apparently the same TIIC that told Bailey Chase to "make it work" when he questioned Chris' attraction to Alison couldn't invision a clean cut hero with an inner darkness. REALLY? If they truly had a hard on for Howarth, they could have brought him on as ANYONE else. GGGrrrrrrr.....

• Members

Thanks. I couldn't remember if she came on right before Dominique died or after the fact. I don't think she ever interacted with Rex and Danielle, and I think she only interacted with Serena a couple of times.

Yeah, she definitely came on the show pretending to be Dominique's friend. She was tied up with Damian Smith and they were going to con Scott so they could get the money. It was when Lucy found out that wasn't true and her story started to unravel that she admitted that she was Dominique's sister.

• Members

Most definitely. The writing for AL's Colleen under LML was dreadful. Her Colleen was nothing like LF's Colleen, but AL did a good job making it work. It was only her ability to give Colleen a sweetness that made the character likeable through that affair with the professor. Colleen and J.T. should have gotten back together after the dust settled from that affair. I thought they were going with a "who the daddy" story since she slept with them both at the same time, but then AL was fired. To this day, I don't understand why they could not have worked with her about her weight gain which was not much anyway, but there was obviously something sleazy going on behind the scenes with LML and TS who got the role without auditioning. Sony/Y&R could not stand the bad publicity that following AL's firing, but they refused to back down and rehire her. Online fans talked about it for a long time.

So freaking true. SH was the best Paul. He was a talented actor who did a great job with Paul's dark side, but TPTB were lusting after RH. RH was horrific as Paul. He took an interesting compelling character and turned him into one dimensional Paul. It showed me hat RH cannot act worth a lick.

• Members

How do TIIC not understand for a "turn to the dark side" story to work, you MUST already be rooting for the character? Howarth was such a 180 from all the previous Pauls that it fell flat with ATWT's core audience. Hoylrod nailed it from minute one. TIIC simply stopped writing Paul with an edge (he arrived in town with one---'cause I distinctly remember him chewin' ass while Babs was in the burn unit) and added him to the list of ineffective men to prop Teacher's Pet Hunt Block.

• Members

Ashley Benson was perfect as Abigail on Days, really believable as Jack and Jen's kid. At the time it seemed like they really didn't know what to do with the poor girl, I remember her but her stories weren't memorable. She and Max had the makings to be a very popular couple. I think the actress eventually wanted out.

Archived