Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Not friends of JFP

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 dragonflies

dragonflies

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 25,315 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

So what was it, they were going to write her out or something and she ended up using a loophole and quit?

#22 MissLlanviewPA

MissLlanviewPA

Gabrielle Medina Forever!

• Members
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

So what was it, they were going to write her out or something and she ended up using a loophole and quit?

I think they wanted to keep her, but she saw a loophole to leave (she didn't like the way Alex was being written by then), and quit.

#23 Ann_SS

Ann_SS

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

What happened is that JFP was overworking the cast with long hours No one would complain because they were afraid and had mortgages so Bev spoke up on everyone's behalf at a meeting. She was also unhappy with her storyline. She had warned JFP and threatened to quit, but she ignored her and nothing changed. Finally Bev had enough and decided to quit. She was going on vacation so she looked at her contract which she had written herself, turns out that she had an out every six months, I think. Anyway, she counted the weeks and sent JFP her resignation while she was on vacation and never returned to GL. JFP was apoplectic, but there was nothing she or P&G could do. Bwah.

Edited by Ann_SS, 06 February 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#24 dragonflies

dragonflies

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 25,315 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

bwahahaha I love it! To be a fly on the wall when JFP got her resignation :lol:

#25 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,514 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

What happened is that JFP was overworking the cast with long hours No one would complain because they were afraid and had mortgages so Bev spoke up on everyone's behalf at a meeting. She was also unhappy with her storyline. She had warned JFP and threatened to quie, but she ignored her and nothing changed. Finally Bev had enough and decided to quit. She was going on vacation so she looked at her contract which she had written herself, turns out that she had an out every six months, I think. Anyway, she counted the weeks and sent JFP her resignation while she was on vacation and never returned to GL. JFP was apoplectic, but there was nothing she or P&G could do. Bwah.

Ann, I believe BM had to give 8 weeks notice, and she chose to give that notice at the time she went on a 6 week vacation leaving them with 2 weeks to write an exit for the character, which left them royally screwed because of the BM/AS popularity. 

#26 dragonflies

dragonflies

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 25,315 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

I got this from Wikipedia, and it makes me grin from ear to ear lol

After she exited GL, McKinsey cited her "not very pleasant" work environment for one of the reasons she chose to leave GL. Looking at her contract, she discovered she could leave the show after every six-month period. So McKinsey took advantage of the contract the day before her annual eight-week vacation. McKinsey went on permanent vacation. McKinsey adamantly defended her choice to exit the show. Her bosses felt they had been bamboozled. "They're bent out of shape because, for once, somebody beat 'em at their own game," she said. "I had warned Jill (the show's then-executive producer Jill Farren Phelps) – although I don't think she paid attention to me – that I was not happy. I was not happy with the story line." She had confided in Phelps previously that she was frustrated enough to quit, and was told in response that perhaps she should read her contract.

McKinsey later quipped that perhaps it was Phelps and the rest of the GL production team who should have read the contract. "They didn't read the contract! I read it very closely. I knew every word. The next day, they were all combing over the contract. Somebody said, 'Maybe Beverlee's not familiar with the contract.' Well, of course she was! She wrote it, you bozos. She wrote it! I've had this out clause since 1986. I asked for it and it was P&G that determined how much notice they wanted me to give – and they chose eight weeks."

In addition to her issues with storytelling, which she said would not have motivated her to leave if her working environment had been happier, McKinsey noted that acting had simply stopped being fun for her. "The hours just made me crazy. They were too long," she explained.

#27 Ann_SS

Ann_SS

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

Okay, here is her interview with Michael Logan with the details. I was wrong, turns out that Bev did return for one day to film her final scenes. Bwaaaah! Seriously, this story about how she screwed over JFP never gets old. Bev was a true Soap Goddess.

http://iriswheeler.t...de19920811.html

Edited by Ann_SS, 06 February 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#28 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,514 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

I got this from Wikipedia, and it makes me grin from ear to ear lol

After she exited GL, McKinsey cited her "not very pleasant" work environment for one of the reasons she chose to leave GL. Looking at her contract, she discovered she could leave the show after every six-month period. So McKinsey took advantage of the contract the day before her annual eight-week vacation. McKinsey went on permanent vacation. McKinsey adamantly defended her choice to exit the show. Her bosses felt they had been bamboozled. "They're bent out of shape because, for once, somebody beat 'em at their own game," she said. "I had warned Jill (the show's then-executive producer Jill Farren Phelps) – although I don't think she paid attention to me – that I was not happy. I was not happy with the story line." She had confided in Phelps previously that she was frustrated enough to quit, and was told in response that perhaps she should read her contract.

McKinsey later quipped that perhaps it was Phelps and the rest of the GL production team who should have read the contract. "They didn't read the contract! I read it very closely. I knew every word. The next day, they were all combing over the contract. Somebody said, 'Maybe Beverlee's not familiar with the contract.' Well, of course she was! She wrote it, you bozos. She wrote it! I've had this out clause since 1986. I asked for it and it was P&G that determined how much notice they wanted me to give – and they chose eight weeks."

In addition to her issues with storytelling, which she said would not have motivated her to leave if her working environment had been happier, McKinsey noted that acting had simply stopped being fun for her. "The hours just made me crazy. They were too long," she explained.

LOL.  Ok, I stand corrected. 

I read it a few years ago and laughed so hard.  No one Jill is so hard now.  She won't be fooled again.  lol

#29 dragonflies

dragonflies

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 25,315 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

You know no one will ever get a contract like that ever again, not even someone like Lucci or Geary lol

#30 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

So who are some actors/actresses that do not get along with Y&R executive producer JFP? I know of Steven Nicoles and Gennie Frances who are the others??

Well if you buy what GF recently said she and Jill supposedly are friends from way back.

#31 Ann_SS

Ann_SS

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

You know no one will ever get a contract like that ever again, not even someone like Lucci or Geary lol

LOL! Those contracts typically favor the employer who can fire the actor every few weeks without penalty. Beverlee's six month out clause was always an exception not the rule. It was one of her perks. Apparently, Beverlee wrote or rewrote her contract herself. She had been in the business for a long time. I don't think that she even had an agent for many years.

#32 Mitch

Mitch

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

I think it is also important to note that Bev wasn't being a typical diva, in not liking her storyline.  She said she plays whatever they would give her (which isnt exactely true when you compare her Alex to Marj Dusay's Alex...even though Bev alwys had better writing...) she did complain to JFP about Alex being too big of a bitch, which was true, the great Alexandra Spaulding spent all her time obsessing about her son's romantic life...and having the ever annoying Nick Spaulding dis her contantly. However, it was more the hours, and the general work enviornment. Unfortunatley when Bev left and they hired Marj JFP had her chance to turn Alex into a cartoon rich shrew.

I would love to hear JFP's version of this story!

#33 Y&RWorldTurner

Y&RWorldTurner

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

Bev's son, Scott, worked for Jill for years at GH. 

#34 MissLlanviewPA

MissLlanviewPA

• Members
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

A little bit of a different case, but Kim Zimmer.

I think they only worked together once, briefly in 1995 when KZ came back as Ghost Reva (or was that Labison?), but JFP was pretty adamant about NOT bringing Reva back to GL when she was there.

Of course, for non-Reva fans, this is actually a point in JFP's favor laugh.png .

#35 Cat

Cat

THIS hot bitch

• Members
  • 7,241 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

I've read Michael Logan's interview with Beverlee before but reading it again, I can almost hear her purring southern voice. She was so upfront and honest, too, not complaining just explaining her very credible reasons about wanting to leave. I love her even more, if that's possible.

#36 Vee

Vee

A Chinchilla Of Doubt

• Members
  • 11,524 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

Few people have the kind of leverage Bev McKinsey had in her day, because she was major soap royalty for Procter & Gamble in the '70s and '80s. I'm not sure even Tony Geary or Roger Howarth at his height had that kind of power over their outs. Roger maybe - Tony always seemed more concerned about just having his vacation time at a set point every year and completely [!@#$%^&*] up all Luke's storylines so he could go back to Amsterdam. I know AW begged her again and again to return not just in the '80s but near the end of the show's run, and she wouldn't do it. There's nobody like that woman.

JFP was right about Reva, IMO. Not much else beyond production values at that time, but Reva, yes. Of course, I softened to Kim Zimmer much later.

#37 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 54,683 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Tristan Rogers in particular doesn't hide his disdain for JFP.

Rogers wasn't fond of much of anyone at GH PTB.

Few people have the kind of leverage Bev McKinsey had in her day, because she was major soap royalty for Procter & Gamble in the '70s and '80s. I'm not sure even Tony Geary or Roger Howarth at his height had that kind of power over their outs. Roger maybe - Tony always seemed more concerned about just having his vacation time at a set point every year and completely [!@#$%^&*] up all Luke's storylines so he could go back to Amsterdam. I know AW begged her again and again to return not just in the '80s but near the end of the show's run, and she wouldn't do it. There's nobody like that woman.

JFP was right about Reva, IMO. Not much else beyond production values at that time, but Reva, yes. Of course, I softened to Kim Zimmer much later.

I think it was a little less about leverage as much as it was about JFP possibly not quite being used to hardball (Santa Barbara seemed like a friendly soap - you don't hear too many bad stories about JFP there). 

I actually feel like if JFP had given Zimmer a good story (not the ghost), Reva would have been a major asset to GL in 1994. The show was beyond listless. Reva was, for her many flaws, never listless.

#38 MissLlanviewPA

MissLlanviewPA

• Members
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Rogers wasn't fond of much of anyone at GH PTB.

AFAIK, he and GM were okay until she fired Finola in 1991. He had wanted to quit the year before, but she introduced Mac and that kept him around. From what I understand, firing Fin is what led to him leaving earlier than he had planned.

#39 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 54,683 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Well if you buy what GF recently said she and Jill supposedly are friends from way back.

The Francis situation is one where I never know if she is kissing up or if JFP was a scapegoat. I think it might be a little more of the latter.

I spent years believing JFP was the devil, and that never entirely goes away, but a lot of the last decade I end up putting on Frons/Guza/Pratt.

AFAIK, he and GM were okay until she fired Finola in 1991. He had wanted to quit the year before, but she introduced Mac and that kept him around. From what I understand, firing Fin is what led to him leaving earlier than he had planned.

He kind of trashed GH in the press when he left in 1986 or 1987. I think, although I might be totally wrong, that when he came back he praised the show because Monty was gone.

Edited by CarlD2, 06 February 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#40 MrQuartermaine

MrQuartermaine

Contract

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Gloria Monty didn't have many friends by the time her second run as EP was up in 1992. While she did bring back some fan favorites, she fired and phased out most of the actors that she had brought in during her first reign.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users