Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Successful Characters with No Family or Ties to Canvas

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#81 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

I forgot about Zander and Elizabeth. I was not watching much by then. I am watching Zander/ATEmily YT clips now. Gawd, I loved them. I had forgotten about how much having hit music improved the soaps' romances. GH used to have a nice mix of pop and R&B music.

I thought he and NL had some chemistry but it was obvious they wanted us to root for NEM. She actually had more chemistry with CB the last time she was on the show than she had with TC the entire year.

#82 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

Riff-Raff's Boo

• Members
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

I forgot about Zander and Elizabeth. I was not watching much by then. I am watching Zander/ATEmily YT clips now. Gawd, I loved them. I had forgotten about how much having hit music improved the soaps' romances. GH used to have a nice mix of pop and R&B music.

Same here and ditto to missing the music of old GH.

I think I'll spend the blizzard rediscovering Original Recipe Emily & Zander, so thanks for the idea, Ann...

#83 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

Riff-Raff's Boo

• Members
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

and then this happened

angry.png angry.png angry.png angry.png angry.png

#84 SoapSurvivor

SoapSurvivor

Recurring

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

Alex on OLTL, she hung around for about 10 years.  I don't know if she was leading, but she was popular and unforgettable.  The same could be said of Marty, they even gave her a child and she wasn't even on canvas.

'

#85 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,630 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:19 AM

and then this happened

Gosh, i loved this promo. And this story. 

#86 alexisfan07

alexisfan07

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

That ad proves Liz was considered a lead character by ABC at one point. Very nifty.

#87 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 39,687 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

That ad proves Liz was considered a lead character by ABC at one point. Very nifty.

I wouldnt have considered her lead in that story. That triangle involved her playing a supporting role as part of the umbrella story revolving around Brenda's return and that fell through rather quickly as Liz and Zander didnt progress beyond a few kisses and Jason was quickly moved in Courtney's  direction. She defintely had potential to become lead but the direction of her story changed too fast to actually make that happen

#88 alexisfan07

alexisfan07

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

I'd say people define lead differently but I know Liz was in some of those GH cast banners on the ABC site, even before Monaco was and they were both on the show. Perhaps it was just a contract stipulation but her likeness was being used to promote the show regardless.

#89 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 39,687 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

I talk about lead in context with story and that can involve having it revolve around a character who is central to the plot. She wasnt really a key figure in Brenda's Return story and the triangle was barely given focus on its own. It was more of a B level side plot to the bigger picture and the show didn even care enough about it to develop it

Edited by Cheap21, 08 February 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#90 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

Riff-Raff's Boo

• Members
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

IMO, Liz was on her way to lead when LL2 took flight in the late 90s.  The natural choice would've been to bump her up to that level after Brenda "died" and Robin left, yet this stupid show chose not to strike that iron when it (or she) was hot.

#91 carolineg

carolineg

Recurring

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

I talk about lead in context with story and that can involve having it revolve around a character who is central to the plot. She wasnt really a key figure in Brenda's Return story and the triangle was barely given focus on its own. It was more of a B level side plot to the bigger picture and the show didn even care enough about it to develop it

A lot of things got shuffled awkwardly for Brenda's return: Skye and Jax moved forward at lightening speed, Carly and Sonny got back together, Jason was made more accessible for Brenda, etc.  I don't think Liz was a casualty though.  She got screwed over for Courtney.  AJ/Courtney were torn apart, as were Liz and Jason for Journey.  Had VM not returned more focused likely would have been placed on Zander/Liz/Jason, but, in the end, there was no stopping Frons hard on for Courtney. 

#92 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 39,687 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

A lot of things got shuffled awkwardly for Brenda's return: Skye and Jax moved forward at lightening speed, Carly and Sonny got back together, Jason was made more accessible for Brenda, etc.  I don't think Liz was a casualty though.  She got screwed over for Courtney.  AJ/Courtney were torn apart, as were Liz and Jason for Journey.  Had VM not returned more focused likely would have been placed on Zander/Liz/Jason, but, in the end, there was no stopping Frons hard on for Courtney. 

i didn't say Liz got screwed over bc of Brenda. I mentioned earlier that ultimately the pairing with Jason went nowhere bc they stuck him with Courtney instead

#93 carolineg

carolineg

Recurring

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

i didn't say Liz got screwed over bc of Brenda. I mentioned earlier that ultimately the pairing with Jason went nowhere bc they stuck him with Courtney instead

Oh, no I know you didn't.  I was trying to make the point that if you weren't part of Brenda's return back then you weren't getting airtime and if you were in her sphere, your story changed drastically to set things up perfectly for said return.  They built a whole show around an actress with a six month contract.  That was stupid and GH suffered for their short-sightedness.  They did lose interest in the whole triangle with Liz in part due to Guza fascination with Brazen, but that time period in general a lot of characters were shuffled and storylines were scrapped. I still dont understand the decision to make Courtney a lead character.  Liason has to be one of the most drawn out, poorly paced, non-couple GH has ever had.  They were teased so many times without any actual resolution.  Zander never really found his footing again either.  His almost pairing with TB's Carly was decent and they dropped that in favor of S&C reuniting.  He was never written as the rootworthy guy in a triangle after.  Too bad because I really like CB and Zander.

Edited by carolineg, 08 February 2013 - 01:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users