Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Successful Characters with No Family or Ties to Canvas

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 SoapSurvivor

SoapSurvivor

Recurring

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

Since soaps now make it point to make every character turn out to be a long lost relative of a core family or core character, help me remember characters that have no family connections that became successful.

Marlena Evans (DOOL) - I can imagine if she was introduced today, she would be the long lost bastard daughter of Tom Horton.  But Marlena has been her own character and her children have basically become the center of Days, they are core characters through marriage and growing up on screen, not ridiculous re-writing of history.

Dorian Lord (OLTL) - A great actress and a character with many layers, she just made her own place for herself and her women in her family long after Victor died.  She had her own stories and her rivalry with Vicki helped out alot too.

Victoria Lord (OLTL) - Yeah I know the Lords were originally the Core family of OLTL.  But since the 90's or Vicki was left the as the lone lord.  Even after divorcing the new core family the Buchanan's she remained central.

#2 AdelaideCate007

AdelaideCate007

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

GH:

Lucy Coe

Tiffany Hill

Felicia Jones

Y&R:

Nikki Newman

Phyllis Summers

Edited by AdelaideCate007, 05 February 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#3 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 40,619 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

I think you can take Viki out of that bc the Lords have always had a strong presence on the show. Lone Lord? That's completely false since her daughters have always been around and she's been heavily involved in their drama. Not to mention all the shenanigans with Todd. Viki has never been without family

#4 allmc2008

allmc2008

Sexy and I know it!

• Members
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Ryan Lavery. But that depends on how you define Successful!

#5 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 54,664 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Adam Chandler

#6 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 40,619 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Ryan Lavery. But that depends on how you define Successful!

he's a perfect example

OLTL

Tea

#7 Gray Bunny

Gray Bunny

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

In B&B terms for longetivity, Dr. James Warwick (Ian Buchanan) was a success story.

#8 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 40,619 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

In B&B terms for longetivity, Dr. James Warwick (Ian Buchanan) was a success story.

I'll raise you a Dr. Taylor Hayes! She's probably the most successful character in terms of this thread from that show

Edited by Cheap21, 05 February 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#9 Melroser

Melroser

Recurring

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Cass Winthrop on AW was on the show for decades. His sister Stacey was on a couple of times but never lasted. I believe she was the only family member of his ever brought on.

#10 Jonathan

Jonathan

Soap Historian

• Members
  • 7,708 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

Gloria Marsh on All My Children had no family ties, yet she lasted several years and was involved with many of Pine Valley's prominent male citizens including Adam Chandler, Tad Martin, and Dimitri Marick.

Edited by Jonathan, 05 February 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#11 dc11786

dc11786

Which one are you?

• Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Cass Winthrop on AW was on the show for decades. His sister Stacey was on a couple of times but never lasted. I believe she was the only family member of his ever brought on.

Grayson McCouch played Cass's younger brother, Morgan, in the early to mid 1990s.

#12 ReddFoxx

ReddFoxx

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Brad Carlton (Y&R) had a long run and lots of storylines, despite not being a core family character.

#13 beebs

beebs

Contract

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

DAYS

Don Craig (I think), I know family was brought in for him, but I don't think he had any family in that show when introduced.

Maggie Simmons - The Bell era was very good at introducing outside characters and working their way into the show's core families.

Did Laura initially have any family ties to the show or no?

#14 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 54,664 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

I don't think so.

#15 SoapSurvivor

SoapSurvivor

Recurring

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

DAYS

Don Craig (I think), I know family was brought in for him, but I don't think he had any family in that show when introduced.

Maggie Simmons - The Bell era was very good at introducing outside characters and working their way into the show's core families.

Did Laura initially have any family ties to the show or no?

I think Nicole on DOOL is pretty good also, she even hasn't been worked into a family after almost 15 years (-2), no children or friendships with "core" characters, she just ends up in her own stories.

#16 Ann_SS

Ann_SS

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

GH

Robert Scorpio

Sean Donnelly

Sonny Corinthos

Duke Lavery

Anna Devane

Y&R

JT Hellstrom

Edited by Ann_SS, 05 February 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#17 SoapSurvivor

SoapSurvivor

Recurring

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

I think you can take Viki out of that bc the Lords have always had a strong presence on the show. Lone Lord? That's completely false since her daughters have always been around and she's been heavily involved in their drama. Not to mention all the shenanigans with Todd. Viki has never been without family

Well Vicki's daughters were prominent to the early 2000's, besides the few years.  But Vicki lost her mother, sister, bro and father.  She worked in stories by herself, the built new characters and families around her character.  And retconned 3 (Tina/Todds) paternities to make other characters more important.

#18 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 40,619 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

Well Vicki's daughters were prominent to the early 2000's, besides the few years.  But Vicki lost her mother, sister, bro and father.  She worked in stories by herself, the built new characters and families around her character.  And retconned 3 (Tina/Todds) paternities to make other characters more important.

Viki being mentioned just seems contradictory to what you opened this thread up with. You know characters that came on with no family and became successfull in spite of that. Viki was already a star and successful by the time you felt her family got marginalzed. Some of her family may have died, but she's gained plenty of new relatives since the show begain in 1968. She's never been isolated alone

#19 SoapSurvivor

SoapSurvivor

Recurring

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

Viki being mentioned just seems contradictory to what you opened this thread up with. You know characters that came on with no family and became successfull in spite of that. Viki was already a star and successful by the time you felt her family got marginalzed. Some of her family may have died, but she's gained plenty of new relatives since the show begain in 1968. She's never been isolated alone

You are correct.  But I kinda paraphrased and guess that would be another topic.  Some core families on other soaps got phased out entirely.  I get what you're saying I guess.

#20 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 54,664 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

Meta Bauer. She was used to help bring a family in to GL, a family that probably kept it on the air for most of its 70+ year run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users