Who has the WORST Reputation in daytime??

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wheeler's turn at GL is an interesting story in and of itself(more interesting then anything on the show post Peapack.) The good, she was not responsible for the mess GL was at the time she took over, either creatively or financially. I think really any good to great EP (or which Ellen was not) would have failed that that point. GL's cancellation is not on her head, it was on MADD for letting Rauch blow the budget, then freaking out and placing Conboy and Weston in charge, which took the show into not only a creative dive, but, and no one thought it was possible, a financial one as well. I will give Wheeler credit for that, and for the fact that she actually, really wanted to make it work. She couldn't , she was frankly an inept producer (good actress, director, but not a producer.)

However, Wheeler did not understand GL and the few successes she pulled off (Otalia/Jonathon,)were really the brain child of other writers (Jon he was going to be Reva's stalker and a sociopathic bad egg/ Labine wanted Olivia/Holly, which would have been HOT) but she quickly ruined even that by taking Jonathon from a fascinating sexual maniplative sociopath, to the anti hero beloved by all cliched soap writer and producers. The Reva cancer storyline, was far from riveting to most viewers, who were pissed that the real story was about Josh/Cassie..and I think that storyline, along with Phillip implodes and his "death," are really what the problem was with her, she could come up with really interesting ideas...(Reva WAS always running from Josh, so what if Josh didnt chase this time? What if Phillip went over the edge???) however, she had no idea how to do those stories with finesse or style...Josh jumps at Cassie and neither one of them show a trace of quilt or ambiguity on this (both of those would have made the storyline both fascinating and tolerable to viewers) Phillip goes nuts in one day, shows no sign of, again, ambiguity or humaness, he becomes Jame Stenbeck all of a sudden. And I do blame Wheeler on all of those things since day one, she butted into the writers room and forced ideas and opinions on them (i.e. Josh's becomes a "new age," pastor) I didnt like Krazy Davey but his work on ATWT was a bit better. It didnt help that she put all her eggs in a few baskets (Gush, BC/Coopers) and couldnt see the big picture.

The show did indeed have a vocal following but it was the internet fan character actor couple nuts who were left, the Gushies, the BC's the KZ's ...everyone else had left the room or was left rolling their eyes. The worst decision she made was to keep the show going in Peapack. Once again, interesting idea, terrible execution, she had no budet to do it and she had no experience or talent to pull it off.

Wheeler is not the most hated person out there, but she was NOT in anyway good. She got a raw deal yes, but a more talented stronger EP could have risen above it a bit better, (look at even Gautman, his sets and his location filming were much better then hers) and lets face it, Wheeler is a bit of an oddball to begin with, and the stress made it worse, she was unraveling during the last part of GL.

• Members

Most actors are extremely insecure and narcissistic. When you add cray cray (Robin Strasser), or macho/big penis arrogance (Eric Braeden), or downright insanity (Victoria Rowell/Brenda Dickson) you get even more interesting results

The ones with really bad behaviors though get fired and don't have long daytime careers...Nathaniel Marsden comes to mind.

Some who were difficult also were employed for many years: Helen Wagner, Eileen Fulton, Larry Bryggman, Kim Zimmer...some cray cray is worth the ratings...

• Members

LOL..someone else had mentioned that Wagner was difficult...Fulton I believe (I think she actually thought she WAS Lisa) and Bryggman, but I can't wrap my mind around Nancy Hughes having a hissy fit and storming off to her dressing room. What, she didn't like they coffee pot they made her hold????

• Members

I always got the impression that Melody Thomas Scott was a diva after she married Ed. Jeanne Coooper mentioned in her book that back in the 80's, Mel just stopped speaking to her for some reason and was that way for about 2 years. She said Ed Scott also did the same. She said then one day Ed was having a scene lit with Mel and ignored Jeanne and Mel then said what about lighting mother (Jeanne) and then they made up after that. She said she never did figured out what the problem was.

Eric Braeden alway seemed just to "tolerate" most of his co-stars. I always wondered how he felt about some of the women he worked with. I do think he adored Meg Bennett. In all the old photos of them at events he has her close to him and I saw a pic a few years ago when he was celebrating his anniversary with the show and he had Meg pulled up close with his arm around her waist.

• Members

it doesn't matter what ethnicity or color Victoria Rowell happens to be; she's one flew over the cuukuuuuu nest!

Ellen Wheeler was not a strong producer, but she had good intentions. The reason the show tanked is budget. The new model was the only way they could survive. Dave Brandon, who has a linkedin page, was one of the guys responsible for inventing a new model after the budget was cut 60%!! He has it as a resume item. That wasn't Ellen's fault. She also had to deal with the writer's strike; she kept a stable group of writers. She kept Reva and Josh front and center. Her biggest fault is in new cast member hiring. Most were god-awful under her reign and there's just no excuse for that with all the talented people in NYC. Remy and his wife, Daisy, Many Bruno (she was the worst!). NuCassie. They all fell flat. GL is gone forever but won't be forgotten....

Archived