Who has the WORST Reputation in daytime??

• Members

I'd argue that Megan McTavish has a worse rep in many ways, though Guza, Frons, Hogan Sheffer, and MAB deserve the rotten rep they've developed. I don't know who's got the worst rep. I don't think JFP's rep is 100% awful, I just think she's had moments of very cynical, artless decisions that hurt the shows more than they helped.

HA, among the press? Nellie Branco.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As for Ellen Wheeler, no one has much good to say about the Peapack era production model, that's true, but she still revitalized and kept GL afloat before that. There was a time in 2005-2006 when it seemed like GL was back, in a big way. With a new, young head writer promoted from within the ranks (Kreizman had worked at GL in various capacities since 1995), supercouple Jonathan/Tammy, Reva in a riveting cancer storyline, Billy Lewis back on the frontburner, and an exciting new opening, GL was catching up to AMC and OLTL in the ratings, no longer always last place, as those ABC soaps were in freefall. GL actors also won a bunch of Emmys in 2006. Then GL celebrated its 70th anniversary with an innovative "Find Your Light" campaign and the Irna Phillips episode in January 2007. Next, while the loss of Jammy was a blow, and it was a bad decision to kill Tammy off, the show won the writing Emmy in 2007. It still seemed like it was possible to see a future for the Light.

Some fans had given up on the show long before this, but the show still had vocal and happy supporters.

Then I don't know what happened to her in 2008 that she suddenly made such awful decisions like making the writers deliberately write a bunch of aimless "slice of life" scenes instead of drama during the Peapack era. The slice of life stuff is good in snippets, but as a whole, you can't have a soap where that's all there is. She misinterpreted what people meant when they said they wanted soaps to be more realistic. Also I don't care how little money the show had, I don't see how she couldn't have found a way to keep some kind of rehearsal time for the actors. Wheeler still came up with Otalia though, one good thing in the final year. And Peapack doesn't make me forget that she did good things before that.

People have also said good things about Wheeler for her previous jobs as an actress and a director.

So she doesn't have the worst reputation in the industry.

• Members

Agreed. She's no different than a dozen other producers who had to helm dying soaps.. People were put off by some of her decisions and demeanor but the only one who ever bashed her personally was Nellie Olsen.

I also remember a lot of Mormon-bashing in there too, which has nothing to do with her work as producer.

She wasn't that great but she did manage to get a ton of people to return to the show. Someone with a bad rep generally won't be able to do that.

Archived