Were did Frons make the "Train Viewers" Comment??

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Marcie comment was different, something along the lines of her being fat, and he didn't think people would want to watch versions of themselves on television, thereby, insulting the actress by calling her fat, and insulting the audience by assuming they all were fat.

I believe "train the viewers" to enjoy the new versions of the soaps based on primetime hits like "Sex in the City" was from an interview done on abc.com

• Members

That comment has been repeated and twisted so many times and very misconstrued. He said Marcie wasnt beautiful and overweight but that wasnt suposed to be a dig t bc Kathy Brier isnt the typical image of beauty on TV. Thats a fact. She isnt the stick figure, model that Hollywood and the media glamorize and Frons was trying to emphasize that OLTL was doing something different by their casting choice and utilizing a full figured unconventional soap star, whom the audience took well to. He may not have used the right words to articulate his point but he definetly got misinterpreted. That comment was taken way out of context and I think Kathy even understood where he was coming from and the point he was trying to make

• Members

Yeah, I don't give Frons any kind of credit - he shouldn't have had the job he had if he wasn't able to speak to the press in ways that could be easily misinterpreted. The man had no tact. I'm not overweight, but for some reason overweight people can still be openly targeted.

• Members

One of Marcie's storylines at the time was dealing with the fact that she was overweight and struggling with insecurities about her image, which was why she latched onto Jen and kept comparing herself to her and feeling miserable bc she couldnt be beautiful as her. Frons was speaking about what was going on with the character and I didnt see anything wrong addressing that. The show wasnt pretending that she wasnt fat. It was clearly written into the script and they were trying to tell a message with it, which concluded with Marcie accepting herself as Al fell in love with her and accepted her for who she was, flaws and all

Archived