Your LEAST Favorite Opening Sequences

• Members

Here's the thing about the goddamned OLTL opener - they had not updated that [!@#$%^&*] thing since 2004. They'd wanted to but were never given the money. Meanwhile, GH is doing their best to hurl money at a series of bootleg, hallucinatory "primetime" openings, and AMC got at least three or four different versions. Books! No books! Books with pages flying around! Lots of shots of the park! Photos, whatever! Just keep making new openings!

What does OLTL have? The same [!@#$%^&*] blank black set with people standing in front of the hot lights trying not to look pressed. There were at least five to ten shots in that opening that never got updated in all eight years. Viki! Dorian! Bo! Nora, whose shot length varied from visible to subliminal! Blair! Natalie! Victor Jr! I could go on.

And then whenever they were in transition with cast changes or whatever, so many of the shots and so much of the editing got disjointed and scattershot as they struggled to compensate. And still they never, ever got to do a new opening.

Also, the OLTL opening was the cheapest of all those early Frons cookie-cutter openings - each show's opening involved people in front of lights, but the others at least had a thematic backdrop to their show (the hospital, the book) and some bells and whistles. OLTL? !@#$%^&*] you, you're in front of a black screen, work it!

Oh, but of course there's the vague motif you may be able to glimpse in the background, within the 'OLTL' logo - those vague shots of some sort of exterior location? That's because all those shots are from OLTL's "Llanview University" remote shoot in early 2004, where Sarah/Flash was attacked by the Music Box Killer. Frons was incredibly excited about this remote at the time and took to the soap press to talk about how they were refocusing the show around Llanview U, and that's why it was such an 'integral' part of the show's new identity and opening. We never saw an exterior at LU again, it never became a major part of the show again, and you can only make the shots out in the black background of the opening if you're an obsessive like me. But that's what OLTL was left with. Black background, old shots of people squirming in hot lights, and some vague trappings of a one-time Fronsian college canvas remote.

!@#$%^&*] that.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You SLAYED me with these comments. By the time Nora looked up, that camera had found someone more interesting to show, SOSORRY. But yes, +2 to all of that! As SoapBoy said, perfectly stated.

Oh really? I'll have to check it out. Someone left the cast recently as I recall.

• Members

Don't go breaking my heart there, boo. That opening makes me want to watch some classic 80s OLTL.

And they technically did bring it back for three episodes in 2010. Hell, I would've GLADLY kept Kassie's version **runs and hides...but I need to stick up for my other Llanview lady more often** .

• Members

I haven't seen too many of those, but I know I'm not fond of any for LOVE OF LIFE. Since when is a shot of a fountain outside a hotel a good idea for soap opera's main title sequence? This is LOVE OF LIFE, not "Hotel."

• Members

I'm stunned that in less than 24 hours this thread is on page 14.

The steel drum GL opening that Laibson used for HOLTL was hilarious it lasted less than a month. The internet as it was back then freaked out as no one knew what was going on not even the people who worked for the magazines. (They hadn't been told the theme was being remixed.) So even though it wasn't good, I wish I had archives of people's reactions because they were so outrageous. I like "lifesavers" more in retrospect because it is the last opening that was a "real" opening and not just random garbage or reminders of what was lost. The 2007 opening made me have issues with the poem, and I love the poem. (Actually I felt it a tad hypocritical to use a poem due to the crud TPTB were responsible for in the years prior.) The last opening if you read the full lyric line especially the part about soap on a rope...WTH tho I appreciated Robert Newman's comment paraphrased about the song "if Love can save the world...it didn't save GL"

I liked the Generations theme song, but the actual images had nothing to do with the show. I recall not liking when Sunset Beach changed around its credits.

OLTL had bad credits as they stopped editing the Frons version, like Vee went on about in an awesome way. I didn't like the one that replaced Tour of Llanview as it was just random things with no cast members.

With GH, if I had a choice between Faces of the Heart which premiered in 93 or keeping the old hospital version beforehand, I'd have kept the hospital.

Some of the newer versions of Days hourglass opening sucked. I don't care for what they do now.

Archived