GH, GL, ATWT, SB- Brand NEW INTERVIEW with BRIDGET DOBSON!!!

• Members

Yes, this was during the time that Bob married a glamarous drug lord secret agent...and then she had a little thing with her and Frannie(pre Julianne Moore) not liking each other , that went no where, and then she was bored with being a housewife and then starting screwing that guy who was on AMC. To the Dobson's credit they didnt create her, but she was only supposed to be a short term character and they kept her on to marry Bob.

I think its interesting that TPTB and the Dobsons thought that to make the shows "young," you had to have a bunch of teens early 20 doing nothing, but creaky old sets and lighting and the same old storylines were okay. Plus, I don't know if we can blame it all on PG as a couple years later Marland came on and brought back Nancy and Chris and the Hughes and that "family," feeling the show had pre-Dobsons.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think so too--on both accounts. I'm not very familiar with their ATWT (at least with GL I've seen a few episodes and read the detailed synopsis in the 50th Anniversary book), but wasn't one problem that they repeated some similar stories, albeit with less focus on the family (I know some felt Steinbeck, who i hink they created, was an exagerated version of a character on GL)? At any rate, some of that blame--if it wasn't as liked--is due to P&G I think who got worried in the very late 70s about their soaps seeming archaic next to ABC, etc.

• Members

Meds..meds are your friend...lol

Wow...I have to honor this moment...Alvin apologizes...and I always thought you were a cold blooded bastard....lol....of course I say that in all due respect because you earned it...lol...what I am trying to say is that you have earned my respect...I finally get Alvin...lol..took me a while though...lol

• Members

Referring to me....Daytime Emmys were the thing back then but not the best always won...so many soaps and actors who didnt deserve an Emmy have one....I was never envioius of the show since I thought it was a joke IMO. Like someone said ATWT had much higher ratings..so why be jealous...ironically like I said I liked SB once the Dobsons left and Kim Zimmer joined and a family was built around her. I mostly watched when they were on.

I really cant put a finger on it but something was missing on SB that didnt make it a good soap to me. Although I thought the NBC soaps werent that good....I never warmed up to any of them but I did like GH and OLTL and AMC at one time.

• Members

laugh.png

I think it's pretty clear none of these people were taping SB on the daily, but I'm sure they thank you for the attempt. I'm actually a little surprised some of them didn't try and pretend that was actually the case, since someone is so determined to come in here and be annoying.

See, you're an ATWT fan. I actually appreciate writers and creative talent like her. Good for her for being a pain in the ass and thumbing her nose at the suits! If she hadn't, I doubt we'd have gotten half of the awesomeness we got to see on SB (like the "C" sign falling on Mary or Augusta serving Laken's pet pigeon for dinner). I admire her for it and the soap world could use more Bridget Dobsons and less "yes" men like Jean Passanante, Bob Guza, Chuck Pratt, Megan McTavish, Dena Higley, Hogan Sheffer, Scott Hamner, Julie Hanan Carruthers, Maria Arena Bell, and.........................need I go on?

How can you guys complain about network interference out of one side of your mouths, then bitch about an artist who doesn't put up with the network's BS out of the other? That's why we have 4 soaps that are fantastic one day and unwatchable the next.

Considering I'm a writer/actor/artist and Bridget herself said that you need to be a little (or a lot) crazy to truly be an artist, I take that as the highest compliment. smile.png

laugh.png

Thanks, but stones I can handle, so long as he doesn't throw boulders. Or rocks made of paper mache, like Ron does. wink.png

laugh.png

I wub.png this post!

Ok, well, good for you guys for being hardcore GL fans. Bridget didn't create GL- she just wrote it for 5 years in the 70s, about 20 years before half of this board was born (I myself wasn't even born until '79).

I don't think anyone was trying to mock the interview. I do, however, think that people in here were undermining Bridget's answers and painting her to be a loony toon ala Victoria Rowell, [S.W.S.N.B.N.] & Brenda Dickson (not that I think they're loony, just that they're painted as such). I WILL NOT ALLOW YOU ALL TO DRAG BRIDGET DOBSON'S NAME THROUGH THE MUD LIKE YOU HAVE THOSE THREE WOMEN. HER REPUTATION WILL NOT BE SULLIED BY THE FANGURLS ON THIS BOARD.

I happen to think Bridget is a genius and think her answers are genius, and to be perfectly frank, those of you who think she's nuts are neither artists nor have the intellect to understand what she's trying to get across with her words.

Perhaps if you actually watched and paid attention to the soaps she wrote (like GL & SB), you'd better understand what she was saying because much of it was thematic of the writing on both of those soaps (whilst she was there).

laugh.png

Nothing like a thread about a soap that's been off the air for 20 YEARS to bring a little drama and excitement to SON.

Hey, it's better than any soap on the air right now.

You guys, there is no reason to apologize to me. Everyone has a right to their opinion and to express it on this board, just like I have the right to disagree with and pick apart all of your opinions. I'm not your mother or your father. I wasn't chastizing you, merely pointing out that you all were just plagurizing a Soap Encyclopedia written single-handedly by some dude instead of doing the research yourselves and forming an opinion based on that.

At least you have a source, unlike the poster below, who I'm about to respond to.

Yes, MEDS ARE YOUR FRIEND RON. You need a shrink......and to stop taking all of your anger and loneliness out on the posters of this board. YOU NEED HELP!

I've NEVER thought Alvin to be a cold blooded bastard and I've seen him apologize before. I seriously doubt he cares nor cherishes the respect he's gotten from a crazy person.

• Members

LOL

As you can see by my Edited response, I got that SoapBoy94. My computer went nutso in the middle of posting and I didn't want to lose the post so I went ahead and posted it, fixed my computer, and came back here to edit it so you all can actually see what I had to say.

I was going to respond to Ron's last post, where he starts off with "Referring to ME" (because who else would he be referring to? :rolleyes: ), but why bother? I think we all know by now that Soapsuds' sole purpose in life is to derail and shame any thread that isn't about ATWT and try to annoy as many people as possible.

oh, and to hit on underage boys.

Check out the Victoria Lane storyline clips that I posted in DTS: Video Bash. I'm already on PART 51 myself. The story is posted in its entirety on YouTube and starts in Sept of '86.

• Members

Great read. I'm ashamed to admit I mever knew Bridget Dobson was Frank and Doris Hursley's daughter! Or I probably saw that at one point and forgot it. I also didn't know Frank and Doris Hursley were writing GH well into the 70s.

Another thing -- you really get a sense of the prestige that came with Procter and Gamble in the soap world in those days. Even to the end, PGP was a brand with some oomph, and they continued to train new writers. All soap writing staffs today continue to have a Procter and Gamble influence.

Archived