What is so Special about the folks of ABC DAYTIME!!?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know that SB had a huge cult in London. When I was study abroad there this summer and was watching EE with some Brit college students, they brought American soaps (which ones they liked, silly plots, etc) and for some reason, they preferred SB over any other show. Apparently they grew up with them and watched them when SB was running over in the UK. Another World was another one they raved about--at least the last couple of years, which we (Americans) loathed.

• Members

I think that the ABC soaps use a lot of references to pop culture and current events, that by the time they air in foreign markets, they are old news. On the other hand, the CBS shows, especially the Bell soaps, exist in a bubble with no reference to pop culture or current news.

• Members

Loving prob benefitted from the fact they could show it from the start--and it was 30 minutes. That's attractive to a lot of markets.

The Bells have actually said that in foreign markets they've noticed where Y&R does well, B&B flops and vice versa.

It also depends on where they're shown--recently AMC was picked up mid 2000s era for a tiny Aussie new channel that had zero watchers anyway--I think my Australian friend said it lasted a year and would score rating points of like 0.01

Also, as "more realistic" as UK and Aussie soaps (as well as some Euro soaps) tend to be--when it comes to American ones often the appeal seems to be more for "rich campy characters" which, while the ABC soaps have some of that aren't quite the same--even their camp is different. SB and B&B back in the 80s could be seen as somewhat related to huge international hits like Dynasty.

I assume GL was bigin Germany since they're doing those major DVD releases of it there...

• Members

Days was the first soap to be seen in Australia from the late 60's.In the 70's it was Days,Y&R,SFT and GH all on the same channel(Nine network).Bill and Susan Hayes came out to appear on an award show. AW was shown in the morning on 9 also.Seceret Storm aired in the 60's also.

At one point AMC was added in the morning.

A competitive network(10) tried to compete in the 70's with ATWT,DRs and RH but that was short lived.

Dark Shadows also had a run and I think LIAMST.

Later in the 80's or 90's after 9 dropped them,10 relaunched AW and AMC for a short time and showed OLTL.

SB,SuBe.Generations also aired at some stage.

So of the major soaps only GL never aired on network TV in Oz.

• Members

Thanks Paul for that info

Yeah I just did some quick research on US Soaps in Australia

Days: Mar 1968 - (channel 9)

Secret Storm: 1969 - 1969 (Channel 9)

General Hospital: 1969 - 1990 (Channel 9) 1991 - 1998? (Channel 10) Soap Channel I think definitely Fox8 possibly still on there now

Return to Peyton Place: 1973 (Channel 9) 1973 - 1976 (Channel 7)

The Young and the Restless - Apr 1974 (Channel 9) Then went to cable around 2006 or something

As the World Turns: 1975 (about 6 months on Channel 9) 1978 (about a year on Channel 10)

Another World: 1975 - 1985 (Channel 9) 1986 - 1999 (Channel 10)

Search for Tomorrow: 1975 - 1982 (Channel 9)

All My Children: 1980 (about 6 months channel 9) 1984 - 1985 (Channel 10) then on Soap Channel around 1995 - 1999? then 7Two around 2011

Texas: 1981 - 1983 (Channel 10)

Santa Barbara: 1987 - 1993 (Channel 10)

The Bold and the Beautiful: 1987 - (Channel 10)

I know Sunset Beach and Passions aired here as well as Loving (couldn't find any info though), not sure about Port Charles, I don't remember it and I was collection SOD at the time, so was aware of the show. Couldn't find any listings for DRS, RH, DS or LIAMST or any others. Possibly they aired here for very brief periods of time.

And the ones I mentioned on Soap Channel GL, OLTL (didn't find any airings on Network tv here for OLTL)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived