Unpopular Opinions - Should OLTL and AMC Stay Gone?

• Members

I know alot of people are elated that it looks like these shows are returning. But if soaps aren't going to be daring anymore and tell the same old recycled stories should PP and the owners of these shows just leave well enough alone?

I watch primetime soaps and they really push the envelope, what's everyone else's thoughts?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

and no one knows if that wil be the case here. The internet is new territory for a long running soap. Exactly how the stories play out is anyone's guess. It could very well be more daring than what we've been seeing recently

ETA: Wow, I thought this was the UO 2013 thread until I saw that that one wasnt bumped up when I posted. This really could have been put there

• Members

If its the same ole, then that'll ve hugely disappointing. I want innovation and daring stories and new characters. I want a true reboot ala Dallas. This could be great for the genre, much like when Star Trek returned witg movies. Like tge soaps, it had several false starts, but wgen it was put togetger it was worth the effort.

• Members

I see what you are saying. Daytime pushed the envelope in terms of "Social Issues" IMO than anything else. Network Television IMO has gotten strict in terms of content throughout the years. They will never be able to tackle the issues that were on All in the Family and Good Times in the manner they did back in the 70s in today's time. Current issues such as Euthanasia not be tackled in primetime shows let alone Daytime, Granted daytime, at one time, was years ahead of Primetime. But with internet their aren't any sensors (to the best of my knowledge) so I am sure they will be able to cover more topics. So basically, I don't think it is the writers fault Daytime is no longer bold I think it is more Network interference and Censorship.

I see what you are saying. Daytime pushed the envelope in terms of "Social Issues" IMO than anything else. Network Television IMO has gotten strict in terms of content throughout the years. They will never be able to tackle the issues that were on All in the Family and Good Times in the manner they did back in the 70s in today's time. Current issues such as Euthanasia not be tackled in primetime shows let alone Daytime, Granted daytime, at one time, was years ahead of Primetime. But with internet their aren't any sensors (to the best of my knowledge) so I am sure they will be able to cover more topics. So basically, I don't think it is the writers fault Daytime is no longer bold I think it is more Network interference and Censorship.

• Members

OK, I'm all for that! To me, that isn't what the term "pushing the envelope" means at all (and I don't watch Scandal, so can't comment there...)

Of course it'll be different. Probably for the worse, but come on. There are FAR less people they have to go through to get story approval, for one thing. Again, the people they will have to go through might be even more controlling--who knows, but it's a completely different setup.

• Members

Also, we don't know what this is going to be like as no one has a crystal ball, however, them tapping Susie and Thom as Head Writers for OLTL and Ginger Smith as an EP for AMC is a sign that they at least care about the shows history. I am assuming the best because of that. Now, if they had Dena Higley and Jean Passanante has co-haeds for OLTL an MAB as the EP for AMC I would assume the worst!

• Members

I would say there are a lot of cable shows that are pushing the envelope. For instance on the topic of Ethunisia alone Dexter (the showtime series) dealt with that issue in an episode a few seasons back when it was still relatively young and new (season two I believe). Weeds has also delved into pretty important topics like marijuana legalization, Nurse Jackie has talked about issues concerning healthcare, drug addictions and the dangers of self-medicating. HBO's now ended series of Big Love talked about the plural marriage and religious conflict issues. I would say all of those series have the pulse on the American public with current social issues.Then there is of course The Wire too. I would say for all intensive purposes cable "knows what time it is." When it comes to staying current. Even though I love soaps I do think they happen to be quite cyclical, not because they have to be but because they fall into paint by numbers mistakes. I think once upon a time they were fresh, or at least they seemed fresher and now in 2013 they just seem particularly dated.

Archived