Legacy characters who were killed off...

• Members

Saw mention of this in the Y&R thread and thought it was worthy of a topic of it's own.

Who were the legacy characters who were needlessly killed off?

Were there some deaths that you thought were worthwhile in that they drove story and had long term repercussions?

I guess one of the original legacy characters to be killed off was Jo's son Duncan on Search for Tomorrow.Mary Stuart was not happy about it for a number of reasons,one being that she was pregnant with her own child as well as in the show and it seemed tasteless to do that.

Of course it meant that in later years,Jo didn't have another child involved that would keep her front and centre. So much so that in the 70's the writers gave her a surrogate son to serve that purpose.

Your thoughts on this topic??

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think legacy character is a meaningless term these days, but I do hate the deaths of characters who could have been far more, and deaths for no apparent reason. For instance, Chucky Shea on ATWT. This seemed to have zero story purpose and robbed Lisa of more story potential beyond fretting over Tom.

• Members

I am the one who brought it up on the Y&R thread. I am glad that you created a thread on it. It really irks me is when they kill off the younger legacy children who have so much story potential. The deaths that made me angry over the years were:

Bryant Montgomery, ATWT
Georgie Jones, GH

Ben Reade, GL

Colleen Carlton, Y&R

Phoebe Forrester, B&B

Emily Quartermaine, GH

Laura Cudahy, AMC

Ricky Williams, Y&R.

Cassie Newman, Y&R

Laura and Cassie are the only legacy children whose deaths that I have felt actually served their shows well in the long run. All the rest were a waste and the shows were the poorer for losing them. Everyone of these younger characters could have just been shipped off to college or sent to visit relatives instead of being senselessly killed off. Even now, I would accept a wacky reboot where an impersonator or clone was killed so these characters can be brought back.

• Members

What about DJ Craig on Days? It did highlight the tragedy of cot death and give Deidre Hall and Jed Allan dynamic scenes to play as well as lead toward their break up.But it did allow the writers to drop Don as he had no family links to Salem.

Baby John on AMC? Palmer and Donna's baby.With a bit of SORAS he could have been a major character in the 90's.

• Members

Guiding Light - Bill Bauer (as nothing more than to prop up the Eli Sims/Annie Sims/Annabelle Sims storyline)

Guiding Light - Hillary Bauer (as nothing more than to prop up the Brandon Spaulding/Victoria storyline)

Guiding Light - Maureen Bauer (as nothing more than to prop up JFP)

• Members

I thought it was weird that Y&R killed off Jennifer Brooks.

Killing off Liz Foster was for the sake of Hasselhoff was beyond stupid.

Killing off Colleen and John Abbott was stupid.

Killing off Brad Carlton was stupid

In recent years Y&R has killed off most of the Abbotts. I fear that Tracy and Dina are next.

• Members

Great post. Cassie's death definitely drove story for a long time and was used as motivations for lots of things...It was actually a great umbrella story. All the others were a complete waste of a character. Especially Rickey Williams and Pheobe Forrester. No one even mentions Pheobe now and nothing really happened besides the story arc directly related to it. There were no lasting repercussions. I am sure Rickey will be the same on Y&R as Colleen is. They may mention her from time to time but nothing happened other than Victor getting her heart and his 1,000th redemption SL. If he had changed for the better after that and became a completely different man then I would say that killing her off was worth it because it changed the entire landscape of the show. But that didn't happen. A waste.

• Members

I was quite upset with killing Cassie (Y&R), but that act fueled story for years and continues to be a touchpoint for the show. In that respect, this was a death done for all the right reasons. Too many soap deaths are done for a quick 'shock and awe.' I hate the deaths of Bryant and Rose on ATWT. Y&R killing Colleen and Brad was beyond awful (though it did free DD to create an even better character on B&cool.png. John A. was just dumb beyond words. On the other hand, bringing back PIII was the worst thing the show could've done.

Didn't DAYS kill one of Hope's children? I seem to remember how everyone was so excited because KA was going to hit it out of the park and I was the lone voice who stated that it was going to be a totally meaningless story. (Plus, DAYS was just coming off of the Island nonsense, so death's on that show have no emotional impact for me. Yeah, still not over that mess.)

My attitude with legacy characters is that unless the actor who defined the role dies, if the writers don't know what to do with them, send them away. Characters with rich, on-screen history can always come back if needed.

Archived