Billy Magnussen making a name for himself

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And yes Eric, I knew that about Wiest and them not being in it at the same time, I was just speaking in shorthand (I did read the production notes in the beginning of the script, ya know! tongue.png ). I did it maybe five years ago, and yes, a couple of us bought dvds of the Altman movie. Haven't watched it since. Chris Guest is like Corky's bitchy twin here. And we are inexplicably in Paris instead of New York, iirc. The coolest thing about the movie is their neat apartment.

I remember reading something about the awkward time in which the film was made, i.e., audiences being uncomfortable with a comedy about promiscuous gay men at the height of the AIDS boom.

• Members

Ha, sorry, you know I was just buggin' ya sad.png

That (the AIDS element) makes some sense. It did seem like one of several flop attempts by Altman to make a more mainstream movie while still maintaining his style. I know Durang wrote the screenplay but said it was changed/"improvised" without his approval, as Altman does, and has disowned it. Of course Durang is hard to film--I think the Sister Mary Ignatius TV movie is pretty good, but in that case the satire comes off very differently, and more mean spirited, as done on film.

For a class years back I did a screenplay treatment of Betty's Summer Vacation which I did well with, and was pretty proud about, but in hindsight I don't think its surreal elements would work at all on film.

Archived