Billy Magnussen making a name for himself

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've managed to read the play--well a previous version-- (I'm a huge fan of Durang's writing) and it's *great*. I'm shocked it hasn't transfered to Broadway yet (it's still Off-Broadway) because by all reports it's the best new play of the New York season but maybe it has to do with the fairly high profile cast. But while his role is essentially a dumb stud, by all reports he makes a strong impression--and not just because of his body.

There are only a few glimpses of him in the clips from the show that have come out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uLo4WMvcgE

• Members

SW is a huge friend of Durang's and went to drama school (Harvard?) with him, she's been in a ton of his plays. I want to say Meryl was in their class too, but...

Love Beyond Therapy. Robert Altman's film version is one of the worst stage to screen adaptations of all time (and that says a lot--but in hindsight Altman's style really doesn't suit a play where hearing clearly all the brilliant dialogue is of utmost importance). How long back did you do it SFK? (I'm always curious about your acting...)

Just to be anal, they weren't in the play together. SW was in the Off-Broadway original , DHP wasn't. Diane Weist took her role when it went to Broadway a year later (and inexplicably flopped--maybe because John Madden, who seems all wrong for the material, directed it and not Jerry Zacks who did the Off Broadway) and DHP *was* in that version as Andrew. He's also on the very good CD recording of the play done in 2000 or so--as Bruce which John Lithgow played on Broadway, no idea who played it Off--Catherine O'Hara plays SW's role, Prudence.. wink.png

• Members

You're right, because all of them were in the bizarre mid 70s musical version of The Frogs that Burt Sheveloe and Stephen Sondheim wrote for Yale that was staged in their swimming pool--although all were in the chorus (I think cuz they were young students). I have a bootleg audio but it's pretty worthless as the reverberations from being in an indoor pool make it impossible to listen to.

Archived