Worst Soap Stan Wars of all Time?

• Members

Lately, I've been reminiscing about the vicious stan war between John/Natalie and John/Evangeline on OLTL and while it was, by far, the worst that I've ever seen, I'm sure that there were plenty others that were far worse that unfolded during the decades-long existence of soaps.

So, whether it's be a rivalry between stans of certain characters or shippers of certain couples, I'd like to know which stan war(s) qualifies/deserves the title as the worst ever...

What say you, SON?

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sharon versus Phyllis as known as Shick versus Phick...people remain irrational and vicious to this day.

Brooke versus Taylor as known as Bridge versus Tridge.

But I do believe that the worst and nastiest of all time was the JoWars...Jolie versus JoVan. That is probably because Evangeline didn't stand a fighting chance in the long run against Natalie as far as the regime was concerned. She was just being used from the start as angst for Jolie but quickly stole the show as JoVan eclipsed them in chemistry and common sense SL and acting wise. Yet TPTB refused to budge on their end game of Jolie regardless of how lackluster in comparison. This made for a contentious situation. If the writers had decided to throw Evangeline under the bus for Jolie that might have made things easier. But they didn't. They kept her very decent. Then insisted on keeping the antie-heroine the same as a schemer just assuming that people would root for her anyway. I never understood these choices in storytelling. I mean really, did the majority want to see the nice girl "lose"?

• Members

Apparently she got threats because at one point GL was going to pair her with Danny (Paul Anthony Stewart), which enraged some of the fans of his relationship with Michelle (Nancy St. Alban). It upset me, because - beyond the obvious reasons that stupid and dangerous people were sending threats - Wright and Stewart still had first-rate chemistry, as they also had on Loving. Couples like Danny/Michelle helped drive me away from GL for years.

• Members

As annoying as that stan war was (and continues to be), I don't think it had anything on JoVan vs. Jolie during its peak - unless all Rebecca Herbst fans banded together to shade Kelly Monaco at a fan gathering or a JaSammer sent KM handmade jewelry that symbolized her character's union with the roided goiter...

(Can't believe that I even typed that with a straight face...)

• Members

1. Was Manny even that popular with NSA in the role? I was under the impression that their prime was during the BJL/G years and that stans longed for those days.

2. I'm trying to rack my brain on when LW and PAS were paired together on Loving, as it's been almost 20 years since I've seen that show.

3. Were those two better than she was with DAM (my favorite pairing of hers)?

• Members

I think Sonny and Carly fans vs. the universe was the worst I've ever seen. They had an unsettling level of access to BTS at one point, including a number of creative personnel, and used that to try and get [!@#$%^&*] across - like slandering some actors and, IIRC, at one point trying to convince a sympathetic writer to go with a story which made Kristina the product of Alexis's rape by Sonny's old bodyguard Johnny. (And said writer reportedly tried to make that happen.) They believed they ran everything, and lost their minds.

I don't think the Jolie/Jovan stuff, bad though it was, really compares to the old school fan wars. There were moments that are up there, though, like when a couple Evangeline fans decided to call the NAACP because John and Evangeline broke up. And yes - that did happen. They try to play it off now, but I remember it. And if it's true some Jolie actually made some sort of fabled "ass cake" and sent it to the studio because that tired-ass couple had finally broken up, then that too.

• Members

I think that the BJL years were more popular with the broader audience (although I'm pulling that out of my ass), but the NSA/PAS fans were very vocal.

LW and PAS were Casey and Ally on Loving. He was her great love, they were together off and on from about 92 or 93-95 until his death via drug overdose.

She barely got started with PAS so I can't say she was better with him. I thought she and DAM were wonderful together. I actually liked all of her pairings on GL until Bradley Cole came back as Jeffrey. BC as Jeffrey made my skin crawl.

Archived