Worst Soap Stan Wars of all Time?

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've always wondered if there were any big DAYS couple wars. I haven't heard of that many. Jealous of airtime, but that seems to be about it. You'd think there would have been some blood drawn over John/Isabella vs John/Marlena.

• Members

The only primetime fan war that I ever saw up close that came close to a soap war was the Lost shipping between Jack/Kate/Sawyer. It got to the point where people couldn't discuss that convoluted, hot mess of a show without getting mowed down in drive-by couple flaming. That's when I realized that Lost had devolved into a soap.

I often wonder about what would've happened to some iconic soap stories if internet shipping had been around. I have this horrible image of a hellish Jesse/Jenny/Greg/Angie quad complete with fan vids, message boards and death threats for everyone.

• Members

When Oprah declined to take up All My Children and One Life to Live, the extremists went berserk. I saw a post on one site that made the argument that soap characters are the only family that shut-ins have and that Oprah was supporting destroying their lives by not saving the soaps.

• Members

There are a lot of fan wars over stuff like Vampire Diaries ("Delena" vs. "Stelena") and Supernatural ("Destiel" vs "Wincest" and "Sam girls" vs "Dean girls" - to the point where any article about the show soon becomes flooded with enraged, vitriolic comments, some fans tried to get Misha Collins, the actor who plays Castiel, fired with a "We Hate Misha Collins Day"). Walking Dead seems to have some sort of constant "Caryl" (Carol/Darryl) fan war on tumblr, namely some of their fans fighting with everyone else.

Sometimes I think this stuff started from soaps and spread to all other areas of TV and other times I think it's been there all along but the Internet has made it explode.

I can see a lot of fan campaigns back in the day to try to get Jesse/Jenny together, and all sorts of ugly fan wars over Jenny vs. Angie.

I can also imagine all the anguished Youtube tribute videos to Luke and Laura, or Jeff and Penny, or Bill and Tess. Endless regurgitations of "A Thousand Years."

• Members

I once tried to explain to an offliner friend who was going to a soap event with me about fanwars. He just kept saying, "But that's crazy!" while I laughed and said, "I know." He ended up taking notes on a cocktail napkin while I laid out the various fan bases and their names. He was surprised when I started calling him by his fanbase "label." (Me: "You're a TnBer, a Craver and a Crisalie" Him: "What the !@#$%^&*] does THAT mean?") But when I sent him a link to some John/Todd slashfic, he gladly declared himself a "McManning." laugh.png

Can't you just see the fanbase names? The J&Js vs the J&As vs the Grennys vs the Grangies.

(I've noticed that most soap fanbase names give the guy first billing. I think CarJax/Carson are among the few that are defined by the woman first.)

Archived