50 years of Soaps TV Special: Was AMC snubbed?

• Members

I was watching the 50 years of soaps tv special and I was wondering if anyone believes AMC was snubbed because they never talk about it's accomplishments Such as in the "Social Issue's" segment. I hated that they did not feature the AIDS story, Laura and the Drunk Driver, Mark's cocaine intervention...etc. I know they wouldn't be able to show ALL of what I mentioned but still. At least one of them!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, it aired on CBS. I still have my VHS copy of this, I missed it the night it aired (people were talking about it in school the next day) and I bought a copy off of some kind lady in the midwest. Susan Lucci was noticeably absent from the festivities. The only AMC faces I remember off hand are Kelly Ripa and Debbi Morgan, who was actually on Loving at that point. I agree that a Cindy clip would have been a powerful addition. They even flashed clips of Capitol. Marlena De LaConnie did a write up of the special in SOW, I'll try to scan it.

ETA: Oh, James Mitchell too, he was in the Villains portion.

It's on YouTube.

• Members

In respect to the producers of this special, they did try to cover a lot of soap history and they did things like reunite Alice and Steve from Another World (and NBC soap). I could see how looking at it now it might seem as if AMC was snubbed, but they were covering so much more than even those soaps on air at that time. I'm sure AMC was featured well enough considering.

• Members

Please scan it! What year was it--if Angie was on Loving, it was the early 90s? Because how is that 50 years of soap? I thought they would either go back to 1937 and Guiding Light radio or 1952 and Guiding Light TV... (even if there technically were TV and radio soaps before both)

Again from memory I agree--but CBS did still have their bias and it slightly showed. How much attention did poor OLTL get? ;)

• Members

Ha, not much, IIRC. Robin Strasser was one of the many hosts, she opened the show, and she and Victoria Wyndham even had a Rachel bonding moment. They showed a clip of Dorian and Viki in the mausoleum during the Villains segment. I think they may have shown something about the AIDS quilt and/or Marty's rape, too, don't recall at the moment.

Archived