Should other soaps be rebooted?

• Members

I think the important thing to remember here is that AMC and OLTL are getting a second life online in a less expensive, pared down format. If NBC wanted to launch their own online soap at NBC.com, perhaps. But I don't think they'd give any of their daytime programming slots to another soap.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I almost think a Passions re-boot could survive without Ethan and Theresa, unless Lindsay Hartley decides to not sign up with Prospect Park, and they got the first actor back as Ethan.

As far as the writers are concerned I feel like it would really be their best bet to find newer writers if the show were to come back. Passions was always sort of a "Teen Drama" (IMO) show, so I feel like it would need the blood of some "younger" writers.

• Members

Oddly enough, I'd vote for a reboot of Capitol. I honestly think it has so much potential to be a great, modern topical show IF done right. I really think Conboy & Co. dropped the ball with that show on CBS, and I think it could well if rebooted and modernized, partly because it lacks the fan nostalgia of other popular soaps from the past.

• Members

I had an idea for a Capitol miniseries for SoapNet, totally rewamped with a new cast. In my version, Sam is a rich, ruthless Ving Rhames-type and biracial Trey is a slick, unscrupulous, Republican BizarrObama running for office.

• Members

In my opinion, the only daytime soap that could be revived effectively is THE EDGE OF NIGHT. You could re-set the clock, so to speak, and have a new, young Mike Karr, a cop-turned-attorney, working as assistant D.A. in present-day Monticello. (In my version, however, Sarah's death -- a murder, rather than a car accident -- has occurred already, leaving him to raise Laurie Ann alone, and Sarah's family, a wealthy family with considerable shady connections, keeps attempting to exert their influence over his and his daughter's lives.)

• Members

The only soap that really lends itself to any kind of modern reboot is Edge of Night. You can tell 13 week stories all ending in a big splashy trial. And the continuing story aspect could be a major romantic triangle between young ADA Michael Karr, sweet innocent Sarah Lane, and feisty young reporter Nancy Pollock. And perhaps a Romeo and Juliet type story between good guy Adam Drake, Mike's best friend and roommate and mob princess Nicole Travis.

• Members

Doesn't JER's estate own Passions? Would they be even able to do that without the consent of whoever is over his estate?

And I don't see how random comment is indicative that a new soap is forming. NBC has no hours in the daytime and wouldn't be putting money into a dying genre.

Archived