Should other soaps be rebooted?

• Members

I was reading the Prospect Park confirms AMC and OLTL revival article on TvbytheNumbers and one of the comments said that 2013 was the year of the soap with the two soap returns and "NBC Is think about expanding it's daytime lineup by bringing back one of the P&G soaps". Where has this come from? Is there any truth to it? I have not heard ANYTHING about NBC adding anything to daytime. If I'm correct their affiliates have the 2 & 3pm timeslots.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I suspect that was just wishful thinking. The dynamic for reviving AMC and OLTL is unique because both shows could still pull in viewers in key demos, they were canceled because a network wanted to go real cheap for their replacements, not because they were past their prime as the P&G soaps were.

I know some fans of those soaps may disagree but its why I doubt any of the P&G soaps will ever be resurrected, certainly not on network tv like this rumor suggests.

As for the NBC timeslots, yes 2pm and 3pm are given to the affiliates because TODAY 3rd and 4th hours airs 9-10am and 10-11am.

Certainly TODAY is slipping so at some point would NBC cut back an hour and put something else so, I expect it to happen, a new soap

I doubt it, but I'd believe a new soap would happen before a P&G revival one on NBC.

• Members

I honestly don't believe P&G wants back in the soap business. They seemed to give up ATWT and GL pretty easily. They even agreed with CBS it was time to end Guiding Light. I remember one interview they said they planned to run ATWT for another year or two but CBS cancelled it earlier than they would have liked them too. They pretty much said oh well. I think NBC needs to cut TODAY back to two hours and go back to being head to head with GMA. Either way I don't think NBC will be adding anything to their daytime lineup. They seem content with TODAY and Days of our Lives.

• Members

I would LOVE Lisa Peluso back as Wendy on an SFT reboot!

Yes, I know. It'll never happen *sigh*

IF NBC cuts an hour of Today, I would see a talk show coming long before a new soap. I wish otherwise, but unfortunately I think the "Days" of soaps being on the big networks has passed. There is definitely an audience to be had for a well put together soap, but it would need to be on a cable network where ratings aren't expected to be as high.

• Members

Which is why I think we're all jumping the gun a bit with all this talk (in another thread) about Prospect Park re-launching ALL MY CHILDREN and ONE LIFE TO LIVE as web soaps w/ a possible second platform on cable. How can we expect any soap to do well primarily on the Internet when they haven't exactly conquered even cable television yet?

Why not? It isn't as if PASSIONS didn't waste a lot of folks' time before? ;)

• Members

I just thought that they would think Passions was too much of a joke to keep on the air, as not only did it get cancelled on NBC but Direc TV as well. However JER is dead, so perhaps with some new writers it could work. (Even though despite how sloppy it got in the end, i feel like it would be really unrecognizable under someone else other than JER)

Archived