Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Unpopular Opinions Thread: 2013 Edition

• Please log in to reply
560 replies to this topic

#21 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 38,487 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Is Stefan overrated? I think the vast majority would say Patch was SN's definitive role and he definetly wasn't overshadowed by Stefan who seems more like a blip on his career

#22 OldGHFan

OldGHFan

Contract

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Is Stefan overrated? I think the vast majority would say Patch was SN's definitive role and he definetly wasn't overshadowed by Stefan who seems more like a blip on his career

ITA.  I thought Patch was his bigger role.  However, as much as I loved Patch, I was surprised at how much I came to love Stefan.  And I loved him with Laura which is surprising because I'm a big Luke & Laura fan.  The other surprising thing for me was as a big Patch & Kayla fan, I couldn't stand SN and MBE together on GH.  I just wanted Katherine to die.  They had no chemistry whatsover on GH.  

#23 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

I hear alot more online talk about Stefan and how he needs to go back to playing Stefan than about Patch. But that's just recently. 

#24 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 38,487 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

That wretched Katherine was just an awful character period

#25 OldGHFan

OldGHFan

Contract

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

I hear alot more online talk about Stefan and how he needs to go back to playing Stefan than about Patch. But that's just recently. 

Maybe because that was his most recent role.

#26 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

No it's not his most recent role is Tucker

#27 carolineg

carolineg

Recurring

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

I personally think Stefan has more potential story on GH than Patch on Days.  Especially with Helena back in town.  He could easily mix it up with Alexis, the Duke/Robert/Anna stuff, and of course Luke.  If they brought Nik and Laura back his possibilities are endless.  Days hasn't known what to do with Patch for years and I think his chem with MBE has dried up (although my first intro to them were Katherine/Stefan, so that could color my view).  In fact, I find Stephan to be a much more interesting character than Patch, but I know I am not in the majority.

#28 Eric83

Eric83

IWOKEUPLIKEDIS

• Members
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

He last played Patch in 2009, so that be more recent than his stint on GH.

#29 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

Jitterbug

• Members
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

I thought that everyone shared my view of Stefan as an unfortunate blip on GH's radar until I first joined the soap Internets and saw plenty of fans speaking of that character as if he was the holy grail of 90s GH characters.  Needless to say, I didn't get the hoopla over Stephen Nichols until I'd seen him as Patch with Kayla* in a YT marathon over this past holiday.

*which leads me to my next UO: I loved GH's Katherine Bell and thought that MBE nailed that character's smug bitchery perfectly - so much so that I was shocked as hell to see her playing a girl next door character (albeit one with tons of spunk and smarts that saved her from being a Mary Sue stereotype) on DAYS.  To say that the contrast between the two is jarring is an understatement.

Edited by VirginiaHamilton, 04 January 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#30 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,544 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

MBE was very good as Katherine. The writing for the character sucked.

You're right, in that a lot of people seem to love Stefan. I liked him too, but with that type of character, you can't go back. I think he was lost as soon as they ended his marriage to Bobbie. Nothing bored me more than seeing him moon over the "Lasha" painting.

#31 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

Jitterbug

• Members
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

I have mixed feelings about Stefan and Bobbie.  On one hand, I thought that she definitely deserved a new beginning after the Slagbeast broke up her marriage to Tony.  On the other hand, I found him so boring that I wished that she wasn't stuck with him in a dreary atmosphere.

As for Katherine, I loved her manipulating her way into the Qs/Ned & Lois and thought that her rivalry with Lucy Coe was the best thing about her stint on GH.  Like many, I didn't care for her with Stefan, though it was because I thought that he was dull (as was Nikolas and whatever illicit affair they had).

I'm curious to know if MBE did well on ATWT as well, since I've never seen her on it.  I've seen her do good girl ingenue and conniving bitch, so I'd like to know what kind of character she played on that soap.

#32 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,544 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

I didn't watch often enough at that point to tell you, but she basically played a strong woman trying to protect herself and her children from the scumbucket ex she still had some feelings for. She mostly had a supporting role. 

#33 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

Jitterbug

• Members
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

I've no idea if I should take that as a promising or thankless role.

#34 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,544 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

The role was generally recurring, and then they gave her a little more to do when she almost went back to DAYS. 

If you want more info:

http://www.soapcentr...swho/sierra.php

#35 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 38,487 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

I didn't care for Stefan but I'd rather SN go back to playing him more for a revival of the Cassadines. The character is one of the key figures if the modern incarnation of the family and they are lacking without him as their lead male

I personally think Stefan has more potential story on GH than Patch on Days.  Especially with Helena back in town.  He could easily mix it up with Alexis, the Duke/Robert/Anna stuff, and of course Luke.  If they brought Nik and Laura back his possibilities are endless.

IA

Edited by Cheap21, 04 January 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#36 teplin

teplin

Contract

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

I thought SN was great as Stefan and I very much liked MBE as Katherine, too. I liked Patch and Kayla, but they were wasted on their last DAYS stint together (and MBE is still being wasted), so I wouldn't expect much from a Patch return. I'd love to see Stefan back on GH.

#37 teplin

teplin

Contract

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Unpopular DAYS opinions:

I don't get the fuss over James Scott. I don't think he's a good actor, and I don't think he's a charismatic personality. (Legions of fans disagree with me.)

I think Shawn Christian and Galen Gering are better than they get credit for on this board. Christian's a decent actor and Gering has a certain natural charm. It's just that the writing does them no favors. Still, I wouldn't miss either of them if they were written off.

I think Eileen Davidson has been electrifying these past few weeks -- but for the most part, it's been in spite of the writing, not because of it. The Kristen-Marlena-John story is the best on the show, by far, but it's still not nearly as good as it could and should be.

I'm not really bothered by the cheapness or the small number of DAYS sets -- it's just not that important to me.  

I think Ken Corday cares deeply about the show and its legacy. I just think he's incapable of translating that into a clear vision. He's also bad at evaluating the worth and marketability of other people's ideas, so he constantly chooses the wrong writers and producers. 

#38 Nothin'ButAttitude

Nothin'ButAttitude

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

I don't see the importance of EJ. He could be killed off and I wouldn't care.

The Dimera clan needs to go.

I can't stand Redzilla aka Phyllis. And I love the Bug.

I like Rafe Hernandez.

Love MTS but didn't miss Nikki at all when she was gone. Kinda wish she stayed gone.

#39 Eric83

Eric83

IWOKEUPLIKEDIS

• Members
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

+1 about the DiMeras (except Kristen) EJ is way past his expiration date. Last year when it leaked that he may be leaving I was so happy. As for Stefano, he has became so watered down and weak. I don't want him back.

#40 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 38,487 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

+1 about the DiMeras (except Kristen) EJ is way past his expiration date. Last year when it leaked that he may be leaving I was so happy. As for Stefano, he has became so watered down and weak. I don't want him back.

I really dont think Kristen can stand alone without them. Everyone in town hates her (except Brady) and without her family, she'd be extremely isolated. I think her family help flesh her out and offer a different insight to her character. Her interaction with EJ in particular has been gold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users