Unpopular Opinions Thread: 2013 Edition

• Members

Peter Bergman sucks. He stands there in a scene reciting his lines like he is Lincoln having to give the speech of his life to save the union. His pausing, the unrealistic inflections at every turn, he is a caricature of an actor. Then add in his newscaster hair and wax face, and the guy just is a total non-starter for me. I don't know how he lasted all these years or how he tricked people into thinking he was any good. He hasn't been good since AMC,

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GH

I like Sonny Corinthos and always have, but he hasn't been a good character in 15 years and even a fan can recognize that. The only thing VM/Brenda accomplished in her return is making Sonny tolerable for the first time in over a decade.

That being said, Sonny has run his course like Jason. I would happily accept him being written off at this point, preferably with Brenda returning to usher him off.

Although I don't really like Jason, his death/exit was handled shockingly poor. It had all the makings of a big event and he just left with a whimper and that is just a huge missed oppurtunity.

I don't mind Sabrina and like Ellie and Felix.

I like AJ as played by Sean Kanan, but there are about twenty characters I would have rathered returned before him.

Edward's funeral was very sad, but I was hoping for a much bigger and better tribute. I was disappointed.

I think the absence of Jax leaves a big hole in the cast with characters in his age range. There is no good guy in that age bracket. Everyone is grey or flat out a mobster.

GH is still a mess and I don't understand all the praise it receives. Crap is still crap, even if it's fresher and different crap. FV/RC are a slight improvement over Guza, but they still aren't good.

Days

I love John and Marlena and have always thought Bo/Hope and Steve/Kayla were huge bores.

I have always liked Melanie from her first appearance.

I have never understood the appeal of AS/Sami. Carrie and Belle have the potential to be much more interesting characters.

With Brady on canvas, Eric is redundant.

Jennifer Horton is a dull character and was only a good character for a brief period (91-93)

I find nothing appealing about JS/EJ

Days is a huge mess and has been for years and probably should be cancelled.

• Members

I find Stephen Nichols far more appealing as Steve/Patch than the overrated Stefan Cassadine.

The only reason why I haven't written Kelly Monaco off in spite of her dull-as-dirt character, Sam McCall, is because of her previous tenure as Livvie Locke Morley.

Although Denise Vasi was all wrong for the role of Randi, I wasn't mad that TPTB never went forward with swapping her for Madison as a love interest for Frankie.

I don't, nor have I ever, look to soaps as a source for thespian-quality acting, which is why I tolerate the supposed "bad" actors with charisma to spare more than many viewers. Unless you're shockingly and undeniably bad without an ounce of charisma or good looks to make up for it, I can deal with "bad" actors being featured in a medium that has never been known for great acting in the first place.

Sexual chemistry/appeal isn't the be-all/end-all to a successful pairing/character to me. If an actor/actress is engaging enough/the romance is appealing enough, I'll gladly forgo the former in exchange for enjoying the latter onscreen.

• Members

ITA. I thought Patch was his bigger role. However, as much as I loved Patch, I was surprised at how much I came to love Stefan. And I loved him with Laura which is surprising because I'm a big Luke & Laura fan. The other surprising thing for me was as a big Patch & Kayla fan, I couldn't stand SN and MBE together on GH. I just wanted Katherine to die. They had no chemistry whatsover on GH.

• Members

I personally think Stefan has more potential story on GH than Patch on Days. Especially with Helena back in town. He could easily mix it up with Alexis, the Duke/Robert/Anna stuff, and of course Luke. If they brought Nik and Laura back his possibilities are endless. Days hasn't known what to do with Patch for years and I think his chem with MBE has dried up (although my first intro to them were Katherine/Stefan, so that could color my view). In fact, I find Stephan to be a much more interesting character than Patch, but I know I am not in the majority.

• Members

I thought that everyone shared my view of Stefan as an unfortunate blip on GH's radar until I first joined the soap Internets and saw plenty of fans speaking of that character as if he was the holy grail of 90s GH characters. Needless to say, I didn't get the hoopla over Stephen Nichols until I'd seen him as Patch with Kayla* in a YT marathon over this past holiday.

*which leads me to my next UO: I loved GH's Katherine Bell and thought that MBE nailed that character's smug bitchery perfectly - so much so that I was shocked as hell to see her playing a girl next door character (albeit one with tons of spunk and smarts that saved her from being a Mary Sue stereotype) on DAYS. To say that the contrast between the two is jarring is an understatement.

• Members

MBE was very good as Katherine. The writing for the character sucked.

You're right, in that a lot of people seem to love Stefan. I liked him too, but with that type of character, you can't go back. I think he was lost as soon as they ended his marriage to Bobbie. Nothing bored me more than seeing him moon over the "Lasha" painting.

Archived