2013: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know much about John Conboy other than he worked on Y&R with Bill Bell and I believe he was pilloried for his EP duties on

Guiding Light. But I believe he still occupies this earthly coil.

As for the best EP for Y&R right now, it's difficult because some of the desired (and not so desired) Bell writers and producers work on B&B.

That's one thing I worry about slightly. I think part of the reason JFP got the gig is because the pool of available (and competent) EP's in daytime is so shallow and can it be argued that the next generation of EP's are not being groomed? I mean Noel Maxam was given a chance as an EP and Ken Corday (for some reason) lost his nerve and toilet bowled him.

Of course, Ol Nelson could have this wrong and it not need be something we think about just yet.

• Members

I'd say pretty successful.

The thing that endears Alden to a lot of the (long time) Y&R fanbase is that she was hired by Bill Bell in 1973 or 1974 and was mentored over the next 25 years by the man. She was his handpicked successor when he stepped down as Head Writer (in 1998?) and wrote the closest to his style. Plus, she had the show at heart. So from 1998-2003, allowing for a few mis-steps, the show continued to thrive and be unique. She is (or was) held in higher regard than other writers such as John Smith, who couldn't keep up the momentum when he was given more prominence. (This was even before his personal tragedy occurred. It's important to make that point because some attribute the unevenness of his stewardship soley to that).

I don't know much about how well she was received or did on B&B but I do remember some optimism when she briefly consulted on All My Children, as well as uncertainly because her storytelling style was so at odds with the usual ABC way.

Would it be unfair to suggest that as good as she is or as revered as her storytelling is/was, that daytime soap, sadly, doesn't think it needs or wants her anymore?

• Members

Incredibly wrong. Kay was Bill Bell's natural successor and his his Alzheimer's worsened, Sony's influence led to other writers coming aboard and diluting the show.

I'm surprised that she was actually *fired* from B&B given how successful the show has been ratings wise and at the Emmys since she joined the team.

• Members

Honestly, I include 1997 in Alden's tenure as well and thing she was incredibly successful. She brought in new characters, old characters and she used most of the families on the show. Both Kay Alden and Jack Smith had VERY successful young characters. Marnie Siatta was a brilliant casting director hand picked by Bill Bell and it's just a shame that she's thriving (well good for her I guess lol) at DAYS, because Y&R hasn't been the same since she left.

Of course I'm not going to get all worked out over Alden possibly returning. Of course with Josh Griffith and JFP's contract cycles coming up they're probably looking at options, but I doubt Alden will be the choice. If only Griffith is fired then Jill will probably bring on Guza or someone how his talents. She made it clear very quickly that she gave ZERO fcuk's about bringing on a slew of her people.

• Members

Sony will not be quick to fire JFP or Griffith; what I think they'll do is bring in Sussman Morina or another experienced person to co-head for a while. I think they'll give this team another six months to a year. The show is boring but not horrendous. I do think the guys at Sony must be falling asleep watching the show like we all are! MAB's version was never boring, dumb at times, headscratching often, but never boring. This show is boring and they lost their lead, Phil! So it's not a great situation. And if anyone goes it will be Josh before Jill. There aren't that many EPs floating around that the suits will trust to steer the show. What I don't understand is why Sony allowed everyone under Josh to be replaced with less experienced writers with no prior Y&R experience. At least MAB kept Minardi and brought back Esser. When she brought in writers they had lots of experiences (Kanalos, Milstein, Schoettle, Sheffer, Beal). Tracy Thompson and Shelly Altman are not cutting it as co-headwriters. MAB had two very experienced co-heads in Hamner and Sheffer. Hamner is a true writer, maybe not a good one for soaps, but he had lots of TV writing experience. This current team, including Seidman, doesn't have the chops or personality to shine through. MAB put flash, intensity, humor, history into many of the stories. She didn't know how to stop herself and bloated up the cast and left talent wasting away on the sidelines. Josh had the same problem on OLTL when he returned and they put Malone back in charge for a while.

Alden has worked for the Bells for years and years. If Bill Bell Jr. wants her involved in Y&R he can always hire her as a consultant and not give her credit. Many writers have done that.

• Members

Well I think LB wrote more than 2 good years if you include her 80s, 90s and final years when she was listed as HW--but she was in a way similar to Kay Alden in terms of her relationship with Bell--although she started later with Agnes Nixon than Alden did with Bell (and Nixon already had Wisner Washam.)

• Members

Ed Scott did great stuff at Y&R although I know behind the scenes there were issues because of Melody being his wife. I also know that he had a feud with Kay Alden at one point over a love interest they had cast for Jill.

• Members

I remember reading about the Scott/Alden feud which led to SONY or CBS essentially having to choose between the two. They chose Alden and our 'old mucker' David Shaughnessy (who I believe directs for B&B these days) was installed as EP.

Nearly the same thing happened when Ed Scott was EP at DAYS (and I've personally not seen an EP affect so much positive change over DAYS in such a short time) and it was deemed he interfered with Dena Higley's stories and scripts. Corday took his action.

• Administrator

Yeah, it's true, Alden is gone from B&B. Of course I hope she goes back to Y&R but I doubt Sony wants to bring anyone back from the old Bell regime. I'm surprised Janice and Natalie are still there, though I'm glad they are.

Don't know what happend to Lisa Seidman but she hasn't been listed as AHW since July 19.

Archived